“My Favorite Hotel in London”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #118 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Arequipa, Peru
“My Favorite Hotel in London”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I actually unknowingly booked a room at The Royal Horseguards through a 3rd party website. Needless to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. The Horseguards is among the top hotels I have ever stayed at in terms of luxury, hospitality and overall satisfaction. They didn’t earn a 5 star rating by accident.
The location and history of the building alone make this the perfect hotel to soak in both the historical and modern vibe of London’s West End. The décor and design of the hotel will take you back in time with its classic English look. The hotel is able to provide all the modern conveniences of the 21st century seamlessly while maintaining the mystique of London’s glorious tradition.
The service was impeccable. Classic English butler service. The restaurant, was not a disappointment, and although pricey can be considered a value due to its quality. Most of all, the walls in the rooms were solid. Once the door shut, outside noise almost completely shut off as well; which allows great sleep. The wall mounted surround sound speakers throughout the room and bathroom, and the flat screen TV mounted in the shower were just icing on the cake. Having the American football telecast of my beloved Oakland Raiders playing on TV ensured that I was simply meant to stay in this hotel. Oh and did I mention the view?
If you have a little cash to spend and feel like staying in one of the greatest hotels in the world that fully embodies the historical elegance, and modern posh of London, go here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EasyEd81
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear EasyEd81,

Thank you for your review of your visit to the hotel late last year. I am thrilled by your comments regarding the hotel and can assure you this is the persona we strive to achieve. A classic traditional ambience equipped with modern conveniences to ensure our guests are as comfortable and relaxed as possible. I can assure you I have shared your comments with the team who are also very grateful for your kind praise. Feedback such as yours is valuable to the team. Thank you for your recommendation, I hope we will be able to welcome you back to your favourite hotel the next time you are visiting our great city.

Riddian Davies, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Spotlessly clean hotel with friendly, very efficient staff. Good sized rooms , well equipped even had a television in the bathroom. Bed was very comfortable, We did experience a lot of difficulty connecting to the free Wi-Fi, in fact it was very poor. Breakfast was absolutely superb and the décor and ambience of this hotel is very special. It is within a short walking distance of Trafalgar and Piccadilly, Chinatown, Soho. Covent Garden and Theatreland.

Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a couple looking to indulge themselves for a special stay in London in what is undoubtedly a quality establishment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DARSUE1973
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear DARSUE1973,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the hotel. I am pleased to read of your enjoyable experience with us and would like to apologise for the difficulties you experienced with the Wi-Fi, we are very much reviewing your comments to ensure our guests are receiving the very best, efficient service. Our location is undoubtedly a desirable part of London, we are surrounded by Theatres, shops, restaurants and some top tourist attractions, which I hope you were able to enjoy as many as possible! Your feedback is extremely important to the team and I, please be assured I have shared your feedback with the team, we all hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed four nights in July, 2014. We had a river view room and although we could just barely see the river through the trees, we did have a fantastic view of the London Eye. The room was luxuriously appointed, the bed was reasonable comfortable and the climate controls were good. We had a balcony and I was disappointed that we couldn't go out onto it but we could at least open the doors a bit for some fresh air. What makes this place so excellent is the service. All of the staff were respectful, courteous and bent over backward to serve. The hotel is centrally located right in the heart of London, a short walk to Parliament/Big Ben, Westinster Abbey, The London Eye and Trafalgar Square. It is also right next door to Charring Cross trains station and the Embankment Underground station so it's really convenient to get anywhere. My only complaint, and it is a small one, is that as pretty as the curtains are they are not that good at keeping the sun out in the morning, especially since our river view room faced east. It was summer and I was awake at 6:00 every morning. My wife saved the sleep mask the airline gave us and so she was able to cope a little better. Overall an excellent stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: River view rooms get sunny early in the morning. Bring a sleep mask.
1 Thank Robert G
Dear Tree-Fiddy,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the hotel. Summer is a fantastic time of the year to visit London and I am so pleased to read you had a wonderful stay with us. We do have some wonderful views from the hotel of the London Eye, especially at night when it is lit up. Unfortunately due to the age of the building the balconies are unsafe for our guests to walk out onto. Please be assured we are currently reviewing adaptation plans for the future to ensure guests will be able to use the balconies and avoid any further disappointment. I would like to also assure you I have shared your comments regarding the curtains with our Executive Housekeeper to examine the issue you faced. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us as it is the guests’ opinions and needs that are of highest priority.

We are undoubtedly in a wonderful central location surrounded by a fantastic heritage and sharing an interesting history with our neighbours, there are some great places to explore close by. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are in London.

Fairfax County, Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We did have a street view and a balcony. We couldn't open the doors because the old building wasn't up to code on new standards. If you stay here ask for a river view if there is one. The hotel claims to be on the river but I guess only the Queen can see it. Make sure you know what you are getting. The room is important to me. I just don't sleep there. i don't want to walk a mile to get to my room.
Great location, great service, great everything except for the room, and that is because I was on a Tauck Tour and they gave us run of the mill rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city.
2 Thank Empathy
Dear Empathy,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel whilst participating on a Tauck Tour. I can assure you that all of our guests are of top priority to us and I am sorry that you felt you were put in a ‘run of the mill’ room; this is by no means our intentions. May I kindly inform you that unfortunately due to the age of the building the balconies are unsafe for our guests to walk out onto. Please be assured we are currently reviewing adaptation plans for the future to ensure guests will be able to use the balconies and avoid any further disappointment.

Feedback such as yours in incredibly valuable to the team and I, please be assured I have reviewed your comments with the team. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future to showcase the true potential of the hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any future enquires you may have, we would be more than happy to assist.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I spent 5 days at The Royal Horseguards in June 2014 and could not have been happier with my visit. I was born in London, but raised in Boston. Any time I've returned to London, I've been disappointed by how small my hotel rooms have been- The Royal Horseguards changed that. My room was spacious and had amenities I didn't even know I wanted (heated towel rack, heated tile floors, American plugs, TV in the shower- yes please!). The staff were all friendly and polite. My room was kept immaculately clean. Daily breakfasts were just what I needed before a busy day of meetings and conferences. This hotel truly makes you feel like you're in London with it's stately elegance. Its best feature by far is it's location- just a short walk to The Mall, Parliament, Trafalgar Square, and the Thames. Being able to walk outside the hotel and stroll across the bridge to the south walk along the Thames. Next visit to London, I'm making sure I stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MBOst0n
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear MBOst0n,

Thank you for your wonderful review and great photos! We do enjoy seeing our guests’ experiences through their eyes. We are surrounded by beautiful London heritage and strongly hold onto our elegant traditional style whilst tailoring to our international guests needs. Please be assured I have passed your kind comments onto the team who very much enjoy hearing that the guests have had a special time with us. We all very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in London, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel for any assistance you may need, we would be more than happy to help.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived and stayed for one night but wish it could have been longer. From the front door the staff were lovely and we were made feel very welcome. The rooms were very comfortable and all the lovely touches from Royal Doulton china cups and saucers to the t.v in the shower made our stay feel very special . Our room on the 7th floor had excellent views to the London eye and around the French doors sadly didn't open to allow us access to the balcony which would have been perfect . Lots to do and see nearby we met friends for dinner after a leisurely stroll to Covent Garden .The breakfast was 1st class and the morning staff very chatty and helpful. We Would recommend to our friends and family without hesitation .

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Alisonandgoober
Dear Alisonandgoober,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent visit to the hotel. Our aim, as a team, is to ensure all our guests feel like they in a ‘home from home’ from the beginning to the end of their stay in London. We certainly have one of the best views in London, especially when the London Eye is glowing at night! Our team certainly enjoy hearing our guests’ experiences, please be assured I have shared your comments with the team. Thank you for your kind recommendation, I do hope you will be able to spend some more time with us next time, we hope to welcome you back very soon!

Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I recently enjoyed a one week stay at the Horseguards and found our room, the hotel amenities, staff and especially the location excellent. Although only half a notch below a true five star hotel, the Horseguards is a tastefully decorated, comfortable hotel with a very helpful concierge and attentive staff. The real benefit, though, is the location--and that is what you're paying for. Walking out of your hotel and seeing the London Eye, Thames and Parliament--and being within walking distance to the Churchill War Room and other attractions is almost priceless. But, it is verrrry pricey for what it delivers--five star prices such as 25 pounds for a breakfast buffet for one, and beware the minibar--it has an automatic sensor system that charges you if you pull out items to put in your own stuff...even if you don't eat /drink any hotel items. I would gladly stay there again...but I'd be better aware of the price.

1 Thank Buffy1958
Dear Buffy1958,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the hotel. The location is second to none; we are in walking distance to some of London’s great attractions, shops, theatres and many more destinations. I hope that you were able to enjoy the sights of London in some of the glorious sunshine we are having at the moment and soak up the fine heritage surrounding us!

We do take guest feedback into serious consideration and will be reviewing your comments regarding prices and the mini bar, guest feedback is truly valuable to us as it is the guest needs and opinions that are of our highest priority.

Please be assured I have passed your kind comments onto the team; we hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact the hotel with any assistance you may need and we would be more than happy to help!