“Good Hotel in the heart of London”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #114 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Mississauga, Canada
“Good Hotel in the heart of London”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed at The Royal Horseguards for 3 nights for business. The hotel is very Centrally located and is walking distance to most of the sights.

The staff are excellent, and very professional. The hotel is steeped in history, but the rooms have been modernized with heated floors for the Bathrooms, the Internet connection is extremely high speed, which really makes you feel good.

On the downside, the access to the rooms is through a narrow passage to get to the lifts, and waiting there can sometimes be a bit of a damper when there are a lot of people, and the wait can be a while sometimes. The views from the rooms are non existent I was overlooking a wall, and some of my other colleagues as well.

While the staff were professional, they were not very friendly - I tried to book a table for dinner, and the Manager did not even turn towards me but instructed one of the waiters to tell me they did not have any space - this was in poor taste as all the tables were empty. They might have all been booked but they could have been more polite in leting me know.

On the other hand when our group wanted to go out for dinner, we had asked the concierege for his recommendation and they did recommend a very nice restaurant, and had let them know we would come over, and we were treated extremely well there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view rather than one facing a wall.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We booked a one night stay. The hotel was great, lovely interior, friendly helpful staff, and the suite we stayed in is one of the best we've experienced. If you happen to book this hotel, then request room 910, you won't be disappointed. Large bedroom, living room, kitchenette, large bathroom, plus a smaller bathroom.

Actually getting to the room was a funny experience, navigating the narrow corridors was like being PAC MAN!! Waka waka.

The only disappointments were that the mini bar wasn't filled. Every hotel I stay in, I always utilise the bar. Although I have a huge bill towards the end, that's fine, it's what it's there for. I did query this and was told it should of been filled, and they did apologise. The elmis toiletries were used, we called down to reception to have them replaced, and within 5 minutes they were. The last negative was that the soap dispenser in the smaller bathroom was empty. We didn't bother complaining about this, as we just used the soap in the main bathroom.

We ordered room service, and the food was delightful. Arrived very hot, prepared beautifully, and tasted superb. It's rare for hotels to have great room service, and I was very happy indeed that my expectations were blown.

My last point is the breakfast...... Hilton offer the best breakfast I've ever had, and after my stay at The Horse Guards, they still do. A full English should of been on the menu. Continental is all well and good on the continent, but I just don't think it works well here. Full English is the way forward.

Am kicking myself for not making notes of the names of staff we dealt with, but thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Book a suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Galactica83
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Galactica83,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the hotel, your feedback is truly valuable to the team and I. I must assure you first of all, that we do serve a full English breakfast in our One Twenty One Two restaurant and via our Room Service, I must apologise that unfortunately we did not bring this to your attention and I will ensure our team receive further training of the menus to avoid any disappointment.

The Apartment (901) is one of my favourite suites in the hotel and very pleased to read of your praise but concerned for some of the downfalls in service you received. I can assure you I have reviewed your comments and praise with the team; I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, even just to experience our glorious full English breakfast! Please do not hesitate to contact the team or myself with any further assistance you may require, we would be more than happy to help.

Letchworth ,
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Having really looked forward to our 3 night stay at this hotel and having booked and paid for it several weeks ago ,and upgraded to an executive double room we were very disappointed when shown to the room.The room was well appointed but it was an inside room and the windows faced a brick wall a few feet away .As we were on the first floor this afforded us no natural light at all into the room.You could not tell whether it was day or night and you needed the room lights on at all time as it was just like being in a black hole .This made it feel claustrophobic,dreary,and depressing .Not a great start to our holiday.
Having asked if we could change rooms being prepared to either upgrade again or even downgrade so that we could have a room with natural light ,we were informed this was not possible as they had no other rooms available .Really !!!! hard to believe they could not have done something .We were told that if we wanted a room with natural light we should have made a special request when booking .Really !!!! one normally would expect an executive room to have some natural light .We have travelled extensively all over the world staying in 5star hotels and never have had to make a request for a room with natural light before .We were also asked did we intend spending much time in the room !!
On our second day we got talking to Mitch one of the young managers who asked if we were enjoying our stay .We told him about our room and he said he would see what he could do .He was charming but was unable to resolve the issue although he did treat us to a glass of champagne as a gesture of goodwill.
We got the feeling that having booked early. Paid ahead of time that the attitude was that it did not matter where they put us ,they had already had our money .Also annoying to later find out that we could have waited till nearer the time and got a better deal on the price of our room.
All very unfortunate as we were actually there in part to investigate the hotel with a view to using it next year for a group of friends for a reunion .Afraid it looks like we shall now have to look elsewhere .
Don't believe all the rooms are like those posted on their website .
Having said all this the hotel is in a very good position for sightseeing .The staff were all very pleasant .Breakfast was good.
So in conclusion if you don't mind 1)being fobbed off 2) sleeping in a room the equivalent to an inside cabin on a ship (something we would never chose ) then room 116 is the room for you our rating for the hotel would have been 5 if the room issue had been resolved.

Room Tip: Avoid room 116 ,inside room ,very dark ,No natural light .request room with natural light with stree...
2 Thank dizzyfizzy45
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom

W Heaver room 812
The Royal Horseguards Hotel is perfect for anyone wishing to make their stay in London special. Every part of the hotel is beautifully created to give guests the full 5 star experience, the rooms are spotless and very comfortable but The Royal Horseguards hotel finest quality is the incredibly helpful and friendly staff. The excellent people of the royal Horseguards demonstrate that the British can offer a level of customer service as good as anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view. In my opinion the best views of the river in London.
1 Thank Wayne H
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Wayne H,

Thank you for taking the time to write review regarding your recent experience at the hotel. Your words are truly valuable to the team and I would like to assure you I have shared your kind praise with them. Our highest priority is to ensure all guests feel welcome, comfortable and relaxed from beginning to end. We all hope to welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future!

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

WOW what a fantastic hotel when staff found out it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary they could not do enough to make our stay special,afternoon cakes on the terrace was a lovely surprise.
The room was pure luxury with a great view.
Breakfast is faultless
We would like to take this opportunity to say a special thank you to Mitchel Guest Relations Manger he is an asset to any hotel and helped make our stay memorable.
Looking forward to our next stay.
Thank you to all the staff.
Regards
Dave and Deb

Dear D M,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Congratulations on celebrating such a grand anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend this wonderful occasion with us! Please be assured I have passed your kind praise onto the team, in particular Mitchel, who is a true asset to the team.

I am so pleased your experience was a special, memorable one and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

ne england

First the good points
Well placed for getting about and using the underground with stations close by, beds comfy, most of the staff friendly and helpful and when 2 issues were flagged with housekeeping they were sorted quickly but no one to pick up phone after 9pm. Rooms were a reasonable size and as expected, bathrooms fine. Breakfast choice was very good with a variety of hot and cold to suit nearly everyone.
This has the potential to be an excellent hotel but the are some issues/areas they need to address as the is inconsistency in 2 key areas, restaurant and house keeping. Sort these and the product will be top class.

Issues
started off in room 107 we knew it might be dark but accepted this as it was like many had described part of an inner courtyard or light-well, problem was bed was small, shower would not drain and flooded floor, room was set up as a single and wonder were we put in a single room even though our booking had been made weeks earlier.
Moved to 319 nice room only had a shower which was fine as this one worked, toiletries had not been checked and some were missing and remained so during our stay in this room. Tea and coffee not always topped up had to ring for them, turn down service and complimentary water hit and miss, some nights it happened others it did not.
Breakfast was great as were some of the staff but some were not, one day no plates were cleared, one day we had to ask for a pot of coffee as they just poured us a cup each. Food was always being replaced or topped up but may be more staff needed to do this especially on the hot buffet. And watch out for the coffee pots, the lids stick then as you tip them too far it gushes out, it happened to me and the next day to an american guest on the next table.
However our main complaint which no one could do anything about was on the Friday night the was a function in the suite 2 floors below us so we has music blasting till 1.00am which is not good, we also got a lot of smoke from the barbecue when it was lit as we had popped back to freshen up. So beware low floors and those over the function suites, it spoilt what was in general was a good stay if you ignore the staffing issues they have re service delivery.

We also notice traffic noise, more on a morning and mainly from motor bikes going along the embankment.

would I stay here again, not sure as you can never guarantee the room you will get and what other bookings are in the hotel. I have stayed in other London hotels when events and functions have been on and this is the first time it has been a problem and it makes you wonder how they balance the needs of guests in their rooms as opposed to those spending much more in the function suite.

So to sum up has the potential to be a great hotel if they can iron out the staffing problems they clearly have and a bit of sound proofing would not go amiss, the plus was some great friendly staff, in a quite but central area, lots of places within walking distance and great breakfast.

Room Tip: High floor not above the function suite and outdoor patio
1 Thank tt240
RHG_London, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 15 September 2014
Dear tt240,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel earlier this summer. Please accept my apologies that you were disappointed with your stay, I would like to assure you that we take all feedback into great consideration and I have reviewed your comments with my team. We will ensure that we will apply any experiences to further training of the team to ensure no further disappointment. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to showcase our true potential, please do not hesitate to contact the team directly for any assistance you may require, we would be more than happy to help.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had a fabulous couple of days here celebrating our wedding anniversary with our two sons. Almost everything was perfect with any problems being too minor to mention.
When the hotel found out that it was our wedding anniversary we were surprised and delighted to find a complimentary bottle of wine and some chocolates in our room!
Few things annoy us more than being charged for wifi access, so it was refreshing not to be charged for this - although the signal strength wasn't brilliant.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MalcolmSmith2014
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear MalcolmSmith2014,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the hotel. Congratulations on celebrating your 40th Wedding Anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend this wonderful occasion with us! Our team will go above and beyond to ensure all guests are very well looked after and if we know there is a celebration, we like to acknowledge these occasions and make a guests stay even more special.

Please be assured I have shared your kind comments with the team, please note we are currently working on the Wi-Fi within the hotel to ensure no further disappointment occurs regarding the speed. Thank you for your recommendations, we hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon!