“Excellent location room, service and breakfast”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #114 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Enjoyed a trip to the theatre and dinner in Covent Garden, the twin room for me and my sister was perfect, great view of embankment, and in morning lovely buffet breakfast before a fair but flat walk to Knightsbridge. Service and the welcome very friendly, I always ask for fresh milk to be sent to the room when arriving at a hotel to have with my tea and it was no problem at all. Location great for us as we like to walk, but also if you are planning a visit to the central tourist stuff in and around Whitehall and Westminster and the London Eye. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JJ G G
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear JJ G G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the hotel. We are in a very desirable part of London with many popular theatres close by within walking distance. We try our upmost best to ensure we satisfy all guest requests, down to the finest detail. I am very appreciative of your kind words and would like to assure you I have shared your feedback with the team. We hope we will be able to welcome you and your sister back to the hotel the next time you are visiting London.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Our booking was for two Deluxe rooms with double bed . On arrival the staff were courteous & efficient . We arrived at our rooms & were disappointed. I even phoned reception to confirm that the rooms were as booked Deluxe . If these were Deluxe room I would not want to stay in a standard room . There was a half eaten chocolate bar in our mini bar . The rooms were small & the bed was the size of a large single . When I finally got to sleep I actually fell off of the side of the bed twice. The pillows were very cheap & uncomfortable. Sleep was a problem . The Hotel has no soundproofing with single glazed windows. There was an Indian wedding reception with very loud drums beating until midnight . When eventually we got to sleep morning was announced at around 5.00 am by car doors slamming & what sounded like rubbish & glass bottles being collected .
The reception & front of house staff were polite & efficient . This can not be said for some of the restaurant staff at breakfast . They were unhelpful , unfriendly & did not clear away plates that were finished , causing us to pile them in the middle of the table. The cooked breakfast was ample but cold . Fruit juices were warm . Toast was cold.
There are not sufficient lifts for the size of hotel. We were on the 5th floor & several times gave up waiting for the lifts & used the stairs.
We would not stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel .
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank tony o

Dear tony o,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the hotel. I am terribly sorry to read of your disappointment and I can assure you we take all feedback into serious consideration. I will be reviewing your comments intricately with our Senior Management team and promise any issues that have been raised are amended with immediate effect. May I assure that we are currently in the process of increasing bed sizes in some of the deluxe room categories to avoid any further dissatisfaction. Kindly please note I will also ensure that all training with the teams is revised as this is by no means the usual excellent standard of service our teams delivers on a daily basis. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to showcase our true potential. Please do not hesitate to contact the team or myself with any further assistance you may require in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was 'many happy returns' to The Horseguards this time to celebrate my birthday. When we booked I requested a river view which was duly granted. We stayed on the 8th floor with a fabulous view of the London Eye, Shard and many other landmarks. Again we found the the staff to be very attentive and very polite. With the great spell of warm weather we are experiencing we were lucky enough to have breakfast on the terrace. This will certainly NOT be the last time we visit. Thanks to all the staff for making it a lovely birthday break.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor, river facing room, stunning views !!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor B
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Trevor B,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel; London is a fantastic city to celebrate your birthday and I am very pleased we were able to ensure you had a wonderful time. We enjoy nothing more than celebrating with our guests and do our best to accommodate all requests the best we can. I truly hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, please be assured I have passed your kind comments onto the rest of the team.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

first time to London England... picked royal horse guards because of other customer reviews and the location to sites.. The service was prompt courteous and super friendly especially since were americans lol. we loved our stay at hotel walking distance from Victoria station. down the street from big ben, abbey. going the opposite direction Buckingham palace st. james park, going a different direction convent gardens. a couple blocks away is the boats to ride the thames river its like 16pds round trip. we stayed three nights and took a charter bus to stone hedge then they took us to the port at Southampton where we boarded a ship for 12 nights. people around the city where very nice to us..We ate at the white lion pub delish fish and chips not greasy or fishy, then we ate at the red lion ale and pie sample, which where three different ales dark med light and the pies where steak pie chicken pie and veg pie. the pubs where 17th century. so cool. because the dollar is not worth that much to the pound it was a little pricey but how many times will I travel to London. we paid 250 a night usd so its like 500pds night. they serve a buffet English breakfast 12.pds a person delish. happy travels

Room Tip: we wanted a room overlookimg the thames but we checked in to early, we would have had to wait an hou...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tazzzella

Dear tazzzella,

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent visit to the hotel this summer and thank you for choosing to spend your first experience in London with us, what an honour! We are truly in a desirable part of London surrounded by a fantastic, interesting history. We are in walking distance with a majority of popular theatres, tourist attractions and shops, all which are a convenience for guests looking to explore the city! It sounds like you had an exciting time here and I am very appreciative of your feedback, please be assured I have shared this with the team. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

A lovely evening out with old!! friend. The hotel provided for all our needs. Chilling out with a glass of wine watching the TV lying in the bath was a good start to the night out. Loads of restaurants in area allowed us to start late and not need to rush to hotel for meal. Friendly staff made the experience pleasant and easy going. Good preparation for the march to support the Palestinians the following day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear annieandpetestravels,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the hotel. I am truly pleased by your kind comments and would like to assure you I have shared these with the team. The ability to watch TV whilst in the bath relaxing is a popular amenity within our rooms and is one to be taken advantage of! Our Concierge team are constantly reviewing local events and preparing any necessary special requirements to ensure ease of service. Thank you once again for sharing your time with us, we hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting London!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We enquired before leaving home about the check in time, we were told from 2 but to be guaranteed a room to be ready come after 3. We arrived at 3:30 and were told that there were no rooms ready, would we mind waiting in the lounge, no offer of a drink or anything, sat and waited after 20 mins we had to go and ask only to be told ' oh yes your room is ready!'
We were shown to the smallest double room I have ever been in, it was clean and had all we required, the bathroom was also clean but no bath! I love a bath!!! But there was a TV in the shower(why?).
Breakfast in the morning was ok, had to ask for more bowls and for the pastries to be replaced and also for them to take our dirty dishes away, which were piling up. Not what I would expect from a 3 star hotel let alone this one.
We stayed as a group of 5 booked rooms for the same price, the others all had king or bigger rooms!
Nice for one night but not very luxurious.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
RHG_London, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Dear Lulabelle C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the hotel earlier this summer. I am sorry to read of your disappointment and would like to assure you we take all comments into great consideration. I will ensure that my Senior Team apply your experience to further training of the team to ensure no further dissatisfaction is caused. May I also kindly assure you that we are currently reviewing the room and bed sizes and will enhance beds to the best of our ability. Feedback such as yours is truly valuable to the team and I as it is the needs and opinions of our guests that we strive to fulfil. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to showcase our true potential. Please do not hesitate to contact the team directly for any assistance you may require, we would be more than happy to help.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

After the first night at the Malmaison we moved to the Royal Horseguards and it was a breath of fresh air.

The room was very large and had an understated elegance that was apparent throughout the entire hotel. It is in the perfect location for central London tourist attractions. It was less than a block to the Tube, a couple of blocks to Trafalgar Square and a couple of blocks to the Horseguards Parade and another block, or so, to Big Ben.

We were in room 611. It looks out on a large square airshaft (maybe 12’ on a side), so there is no view. The airshaft was covered with a net about two floors above our room. There were two dead pigeons in various stages of decomposition on top of the net. That was one of the few negatives in my stay.

While the staff was very friendly, there were some let downs. There were no instructions in our room for the TV screen over the bath tub or for the iPod docking station. I asked for one at the front desk and, though promised, it never did arrive. The air conditioner worked great; I found the bed and pillows very comfortable; and there was always a taxi waiting in front. The bathroom was clean and had a reasonable assortment of amenities. There was a shelf over the sink, so plenty of room for one’s toiletries. The only thing missing was a dedicated shower stall. There were face cloths and all of the towels were large and very heavy. The heated floor in the bathroom was an unexpected surprise.

The dining room was very nice and bright with white tablecloths throughout. There was a great selection of newspapers if one arrived early (none were delivered to the room, or at least offered to be delivered to my room). The wait staff at breakfast was so-so. The bulk of the breakfast offered was on the buffet and it was mostly just the various components of an English breakfast. A small continental breakfast was offered but, as a full breakfast was included in the room rate, I never tried it. If you pay for the breakfast separately it’s about US$54 and probably worth about one-quarter of that. The breakfast menu, among other things, had two Eggs Benedict and two Eggs Florentine. They were almost always served with hard yolks. One morning I ordered one Benedict and one Florentine thinking I’d get one egg each on a single plate but instead got two plates with two eggs each!

The bottom line for me is that if you’re looking for a London hotel in this price range it would be hard to do much better than the Royal Horseguards.

Thank you for reading. If you’ve found this review useful I will appreciate a Yes vote below.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business