“The only way to stay in London”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #116 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 August 2014

With my wife of only a few weeks, we recently stayed at The Royal Horseguards during our time in London. The hotel is phenomenal, rich with history and a staff that is polite, well-educated in their surroundings, and more than willing to go the extra mile for guests. We were even greeted by a "Congratulations" plate in our room with various desserts and treats.

The location of the hotel is also second to none. You can walk to basically any of the major tourist attractions as well as simply just down and around London. We walked out to Holland Park and back, through Hyde Park and back before retiring to our hotel for a quick shower. After that, we had dozens of restaurants and entertainment options at our doorstep, and again, the staff was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about where to go.

All in all, it's a gorgeous hotel with the staff to certainly back it up. One of the best hotels I've ever had the pleasure of staying in.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view...you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Russ M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel. I am touched by your kind words and would like to assure you I have shared your experience with the team. We are in a very desirable location, surrounded by great history, wonderful theatres, shops and many more. Our river view rooms offer a delightful view of the London Eye glittering over the River Thames in the evening time, a true delight to witness. We hope we will be able to welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Royal Horseguards to celebrate our Pearl wedding anniversary. We met when we lived in 1 Whitehall Court and my wife left from there for our wedding.
All staff throughout the hotel and restaurant were courteous, friendly and attentive. Our river view room was spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was good, although the cooked food could have been warmer. We ate in the restaurant one evening and the food was delicious.
Afternoon tea before we left was great and we loved the strawberry and cream tea.
While not cheap it was a lovely location for a special break.
We hope to return one day and would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear dd868,

Thank you for your kind review regarding our recent experience at the hotel. What a wonderful celebration, 30 years of marriage. Thank you for choosing to spend this superb occasion with us. What an incredible story that you met each other at 1 Whitehall Court! Please be assured I have shared with the team your praise and your time here; we hope we will have the honour of welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any assistance you may require.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is by far the most fantastic hotel I have so far experienced The staff are very well trained and professional. The rooms are excellent. A great deal has gone into the finer details to make sure that the guests experience is of the highest standards. This is one hotel I would definitely be staying again... I am sure you will too once you've stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear George K,

Thank you for your very kind review of your recent stay at the hotel. Your comments are truly important the team and I. Please be assured I have shared your experience with them. Our team’s attention to detail is second to none, ensuring all guests are as comfortable and relaxed as possible when with us. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

On the 6th August I revisited the restaurant that previously was a very enjoyable experience. Sadly the chef has been replace, although I could not find fault with the food, but the waiting staff have been changed and the service for that standard hotel was very poor, slow and not keeping to the traditional service etiquette. Good company made the 2.5 hours bearable!

Room Tip: Eat elsewhere
1  Thank John B
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear John B,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent experience in our One Twenty One Two restaurant, I am sorry to read that your experience was unsatisfactory to you and I can assure you we take your comments into great consideration. I will ensure further training of the team is applied to upkeep our usual excellent standards of service in the restaurant as this is by no means the style of service you are used to receiving when visiting. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel to showcase our true potential.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Enjoyed a trip to the theatre and dinner in Covent Garden, the twin room for me and my sister was perfect, great view of embankment, and in morning lovely buffet breakfast before a fair but flat walk to Knightsbridge. Service and the welcome very friendly, I always ask for fresh milk to be sent to the room when arriving at a hotel to have with my tea and it was no problem at all. Location great for us as we like to walk, but also if you are planning a visit to the central tourist stuff in and around Whitehall and Westminster and the London Eye. Recommended.

1  Thank JJ G G

Dear JJ G G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the hotel. We are in a very desirable part of London with many popular theatres close by within walking distance. We try our upmost best to ensure we satisfy all guest requests, down to the finest detail. I am very appreciative of your kind words and would like to assure you I have shared your feedback with the team. We hope we will be able to welcome you and your sister back to the hotel the next time you are visiting London.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights at The Royal Horseguards Hotel. Our booking was for two Deluxe rooms with double bed . On arrival the staff were courteous & efficient . We arrived at our rooms & were disappointed. I even phoned reception to confirm that the rooms were as booked Deluxe . If these were Deluxe room I would not want to stay in a standard room . There was a half eaten chocolate bar in our mini bar . The rooms were small & the bed was the size of a large single . When I finally got to sleep I actually fell off of the side of the bed twice. The pillows were very cheap & uncomfortable. Sleep was a problem . The Hotel has no soundproofing with single glazed windows. There was an Indian wedding reception with very loud drums beating until midnight . When eventually we got to sleep morning was announced at around 5.00 am by car doors slamming & what sounded like rubbish & glass bottles being collected .
The reception & front of house staff were polite & efficient . This can not be said for some of the restaurant staff at breakfast . They were unhelpful , unfriendly & did not clear away plates that were finished , causing us to pile them in the middle of the table. The cooked breakfast was ample but cold . Fruit juices were warm . Toast was cold.
There are not sufficient lifts for the size of hotel. We were on the 5th floor & several times gave up waiting for the lifts & used the stairs.
We would not stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel .
3  Thank tony o

Dear tony o,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the hotel. I am terribly sorry to read of your disappointment and I can assure you we take all feedback into serious consideration. I will be reviewing your comments intricately with our Senior Management team and promise any issues that have been raised are amended with immediate effect. May I assure that we are currently in the process of increasing bed sizes in some of the deluxe room categories to avoid any further dissatisfaction. Kindly please note I will also ensure that all training with the teams is revised as this is by no means the usual excellent standard of service our teams delivers on a daily basis. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future to showcase our true potential. Please do not hesitate to contact the team or myself with any further assistance you may require in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was 'many happy returns' to The Horseguards this time to celebrate my birthday. When we booked I requested a river view which was duly granted. We stayed on the 8th floor with a fabulous view of the London Eye, Shard and many other landmarks. Again we found the the staff to be very attentive and very polite. With the great spell of warm weather we are experiencing we were lucky enough to have breakfast on the terrace. This will certainly NOT be the last time we visit. Thanks to all the staff for making it a lovely birthday break.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor, river facing room, stunning views !!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor B
HotelLondon, General Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Trevor B,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit to the hotel; London is a fantastic city to celebrate your birthday and I am very pleased we were able to ensure you had a wonderful time. We enjoy nothing more than celebrating with our guests and do our best to accommodate all requests the best we can. I truly hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, please be assured I have passed your kind comments onto the rest of the team.