“An amazing find, practically faultless”

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #116 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 August 2009

What a great find!
I am generally a fussy traveller and usually reside at the Four Seasons or County Hall however we were entertaining friends and I decided to book somewhere different.
The hotel rooms are spacious and light- usually in central london "airy" rooms don't come with the territory. Modern yet with such wonderful architectural features- the view over the london rooftops on the 9th floor was impressive.
They have completed the renovation here to an exceptional standard and I felt privalaged to be staying here.
Drinks were expensive- £40 for a round with 4 people, the bar, lobby and resturant atmosphere aren't anything to write home about but as we were mainly using the hotel to sleep in, it was perfect. The rooms are really quite something- a standard room had a TV over the bathtub- not something I would usually approve of but when in rome...
The toiletries provided were Elmis and plentiful.
Overall decor and staff service is excellent and they seem well trained.
Great location- I couldn't fault it.

I am definately staying here at my next opportunity; we almost want to keep it a secret so the rates stay low. An excellent find and will be recommending this to all.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank lovetotravelal
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2009

Thank yo for your positive feedback subsequent to your recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel.

We were most delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward ro welcoming you back in the near future.

Customer feedback is a valuable source for future improvements of our service standards. We would like to thank you for taking the time to add your comments on the TripAdvisor homepage.

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 17 August 2009

I stayed at the hotel 8/11-8/13/09. I had originally planned to stay 6 nights but unfortunately had to return home for my daughter. My experience was wonderful. The hotel is located near Trafalgar Square and the theater district directly on the River Thames. I received a free upgrade to River View room from standard deluxe double. My room was very spacious, immaculently clean, modern/traditional decor with a set of four french doors with full windows and a Juliet balacony (though it is to reamin cabled closed for safety concerns) overlooking a beautiful garden and the River Thames. Room service was wonderful with great food, beautifully presented on heavy gauge silver trays. My room rate was 150 GBP, complimentary upgrade (booked directly through hotel reservation phone number) per night with complimentary bottle of wine on arrival and complimentary breakfast each day (served downstairs at buffet or in room for 10GBP fee) and very nice choice of pastries, cereals, fruit salads along with eggs and other traditional English breakfast items. First night I was not feeling well, phoned room service at 1:30am and they sent someone up with tea, juice, toast, croissants, jelly and butter -- NO CHARGE - "You are a guest and we will care for you as our guest." Where do you get treatment like this other than you mother's home?????Heated towel bar, power deluge shower head, new and modern tiling and blue edged beautiful bathroom mirror and lighted makeup mirror, also included a television in tub area. There is a switch to operate heated bathroom flooring as well. Absolutely spotlessly clean. This is a big item for me in hotels. Concierge arranged car service to Heathrow in black Mercedes sports sedan with a nicely dressed gentleman who was kind and courteous engaging conversation -- very nice. Reception is wonderful. Can fault NOTHING in this hotel except mattress and pillows. Stay here, you WILL NOT be disappointed. I have stayed in Kensington and I love that area, but the 4-star hotels I stayed in there for around 160GBP-180GBP had nothing near the amenties, services and accommodation quality of this hotel -- Definitely 5-Star experienc. Very very nice!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank RolloVO

We were most delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 16 August 2009

Stayed here for a conference. The staff were great and after a glitch with the room alocation were very helpful and attentive. The breakfast was huge with such a vast choice it was hard to tear ourselves away and get to our conference. They were also good with their advice on getting to and from Heathrow. We had some problems during the rest of our holiday and had to have a parcel posted to Royal horseguards for us to pick up on our return and the whole process went smoothly. A very relaxing and enjoyable stay though next time I would ask for a room with a view.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive feedback subsequent to your recent stay at the Royal Horseguards Hotel.

Guest relations Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2009

I stayed here for one night with my partner. We had a lovely time the service is great, the room was clean with a tv in the shower, the breakfast was included in the price which is unusal these days was full english and really nice. The location is next to embankment tube which is perfect.

Reviewed 13 August 2009

Booked on less than week's notice in the middle of the summer (tourist) season and although expensive (209GBP/N), the cost certainly matched the accomodations class... specially compared to other similarly classed hotels that I have staid in (in London).
Pros: 1-Compared to similar/same class hotels (i.e.: Softel St James) with similarly boastful reviews, this hotel is priced about 10% less, provides a better rooms; 2- "Royal King View" room we stayed in had a to-die-for view of the river and the Eye Of London while quiet, well stocked with all amenities for comfortable sleep (we are very picky on sleeping accomodations), LCD TV and heated flooring in the bathroom, very FAST complimentary wireless internet connection, plenty of accessable power outlets, iPod dock integrated to the room's audio system, and plenty of storage/cabinet space; 3- the hotle is best situated for easy access to any attraction, destination, and/or transportation access points.
Cons: (Nothing that was major enough to leave even a hint of bad taste but being picky but certainly things that do need improvement...) 1- starting at 9am, as housekeeping enters/exist adjacent rooms, the rooms to those room slam shut automatically which result in very disturbing banging...so if planning to sleep in, be warned as I don't think you could sleep with such loud bangs; 2- Late night TV was useless as there there about 15 news channels plus maybe 4-5 foreign (non-English) channel, plus 1-2 other movie channels of which NONE of them (usable movie channels) worked; 3- on the last day of stay, the room phones didn't work as they were VOIP!
The "Cons" listed above did really effect us but I can see it could be a bigger problem for many.

Reviewed 10 August 2009

Just had a long weekend at Horseguards and what a pleasure. Great hotel in a great location, staff were excellent from check in to leaving. The room was river facing and spotless with a great bathroom. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. We will return.

Reviewed 10 August 2009

I stayed at the Royal Horseguards for approximately one week in July 2009. Since this was my first trip to London, I wanted to be in a somewhat central location that was accessible to the major sights. The hotel is conveniently located near Trafalgar Square, the Jubilee Bridges (pedestrian bridges allowing you to cross the Thames), and Embankment tube station. Despite this centrality, the hotel is on a very quiet street so you will not be distracted by outdoor noise.

I stayed in a deluxe double room that was located in the front of the building. The room exceeded my expectations in every possible way. It was a large size and included a very comfortable bed. The entire hotel recently underwent a renovation so everything was virtually brand new. The bathroom was very impressive--heated floors, towels, and TV in the shower!

I did not eat at the restaurant, but did order room service and was satisfied with the food. The quality of service was exceptional and every hotel staff member I encountered was very courteous and professional.

When I return to London, I will definitely stay at the Royal Horseguards. I really hated to leave and can't recommend it any more highly!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo