“Disappointing - You can do better in London” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Horseguards

The Royal Horseguards
Ranked #92 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Miami Beach, Florida
“Disappointing - You can do better in London”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

This is a long review, but the short form of it is that a nightclub boat moored adjacent to the hotel ensures loud disco music late at night on riverview rooms and that staff was pleasant but inept. Couple that with a disappointing breakfast buffet and despite the good location one can do much better.

Onward to the long review...

For the last couple of years when in London I've stayed at the Charing Cross, a location very convenient to Trafalgar Square and other tourist locations.

The Charing Cross was not available for a weekend trip in July, 2010, so instead I booked rooms at the Royal Horseguards hotel, also a Gouman Hotel. I booked a river view room with a package that included breakfast. I'm a big fan of English breakfasts, which the Charing Cross breakfast buffet does very well, so I spent the extra twenty pounds or so per person per night to get that option. We booked online directly through the Royal Horseguards hotel's own web site.

My wife and I checked in mid-day Friday, stayed Friday and Saturday nights and departed Sunday morning. First impressions of the hotel are that it is very different from the photographs on the web site. The majestic view of a grand building shown is accurate enough, but the hotel occupies only a portion of the building, the rest being a variety of other properties, such as the former Liberal club (now a meeting venue), offices, etc.

The grand view with greenery in front is the river view, not the entrance to the hotel. The greenery is a small park that is not part of the hotel and which is walled off from the hotel by a variety of fences. The main entrance to the hotel is a small, rather underwhelming doorway on the Whitehall side, giving very much the impression of arriving at the wrong hotel when the taxi drops you off.

Stepping into the lobby it is not the grand lobby it seems on the website: the initial room has a higher ceiling but the rest is lower ceilinged and small. I want to emphasize that nothing in the photos on the website appears to be inaccurate: however the angles of the photography, views and so forth are a tribute to how an expert photographer can make a setting appear very much grander than it is in real life. The initial impression is not one of a grand lobby but rather a warren of small spaces (restaurant, lobby bar, cramped entrance to elevators).

We were "upgraded" to a larger room on the eighth floor. After hiking through a labyrinth of low-ceilinged, narrow corridors we found the room to be smaller than expected, albeit with much higher ceilings than the low corridors. In our room the windows were not as shown in the example photos from floor to ceiling but wer smallish windows from chest height up a few feet. A colleague who stayed in a different room said his room had the larger windows but was a smaller room.

The view through the small windows was, indeed, a river view with very nice views of the Thames, the London Eye across the river, St. Paul's in the distance and the Charing Cross bridge. The windows were sealed shut, with a label indicating that was for safety reasons at that height.

There were two outstandingly comfortable, reclining leather chairs, much better for lounging about than the usual hotel chairs. The walk-in closet had a light that automatically turned on, which was good, but the moment one stepped into the closet and the door closed (on a spring), the light went off. There was no way to latch the closet door open, so that meant either wedging some paper underneath it to keep it open or holding the door open with one hand so the light stayed on while using the other hand to hang or to fetch clothing.

Speaking of lights, the room used an electronic system requiring the door card key to be inserted for the lights to be on. That's fine and routine in many European hotels, but the operation of this particular light system was incomprehensible. In two days I could not work out how to reliably shut off the overhead lights while still allowing the lower lights (such as on the end tables on the bed) to remain on. I'm a computer engineer, so if I can't figure that out I guess it would be much more difficult for people whose lives do not revolve around electronics.

The bed was a king-sized bed, very comfortable, with excellant pillows and comforter and cotton duvet. No top sheet, which my wife did not like as she found it hard to believe the hotel washed the duvet as frequently as one might like. We ordered up a sheet, which after repeated inquiries to housekeeping was finally brought.

The bathroom was small but perfectly functional. The tub included an in-wall flat panel TV, which was interesting, but the controls to operate it were both incomprehensible and inconveniently located (in the room outside the bathroom). The TV had streaks and other display problems apparently arising from condensation or leaks.

My wife had expected to be able to book tours through the concierge, as I had a business meeting the next morning. The concierge was utterly and completely useless for that, having nothing more than a small stock of tourist phamplets and offering the advice that one could get a tour by booking on the street for one of the continuous open bus tours. If you have any expectation beyond that, best book online in advance directly with tourist agencies. Or, stay at a hotel with a useful concierge.

Everything at the hotel seemed to take at least two requests. Asking for the sheet, for example, generated a promise that housekeeping would bring it up. After an hour or so a second request plus a follow up call resulted in a sheet.

Dinner at the hotel (we made the mistake of having dinner at the Hotel's "1212" restaurant) continued that theme. We had to ask twice for almost everything, for example, having to ask the waiter twice to bring water. we ate on the "terrace" which is really a small concrete paved area between the hotel and the fences to the adjacent part. Seating was not comfortable, with stiff backed metal chairs. It was OK for dinner but very uncomfortable for drinks, which are best taken in the more comfortable interior lounge. That's a shame as having drinks outdoors would be very pleasant in summer.

The food was very disappointing and service exceptionally slow. Despite having few customers other than us and a simple order, it took 45 minutes to bring out a Caesar salad with chicken. However, when the order arrived it was wrong: instead, it was the Nicoise salad with tuna. Our waiter apologized for the mistake and assured us the Caesar salads we ordered would be brought out quickly, in ten minutes. About 35 minutes later they finally arrived.

When the Caesar salads arrived I was surprised to find the plates (large bowls with flat rims) were hot to the touch. Why? I suppose they were placed under a heater to keep the chicken on top warm until the waiter picked them up for delivery to us, but that over-warmed the salad. When it came time to settle the bill they brought the wrong bill, from a different table. After a second request they brought the right bill. I can see why the restaurant was virtually empty on a Friday night.

That evening we discovered the primary reason this hotel should be avoided: a boat moored adjacent to the hotel across the embankment road on the Thames hosts a very, very loud disco that runs late into the night. If you have a room with a river view (the only thing I would recommend), there is no way to avoid the disco noise late at night. Even on the eighth floor with windows closed and air conditioning fan turned on high the thump, thump of disco beats were plainly audible. I can't imagine how loud it must have been on lower floors. The noise went on Saturday night as well.

The next morning at 7 AM, jet-lagged more than a bit, we discovered only two packets of non-decaf coffee. I rang housekeeping for more and discovered housekeeping would not be available until 7:30. I called the front desk to inquire if we could get some more coffee packets to use with the in-room boiler, expressly saying we weren't interested in any decaf - just the straight, full-power stuff please. They said they'd send some up. The coffee did not arrive (an expected trend by now...), but later when we repeated the request, housekeeping did bring some more coffee packets up. However, as seems to be the typically "not quite right" modus operandi of this hotel, half were decaf coffee.

The breakfast buffet was serviceable enough for a three star hotel featuring continental breakfast with some English breakfast items, but was very disappointing compared to the much better spread at the Charing Cross. At twenty pounds it is a total ripoff. Save your money and visit any pub offering English breakfast to tourists near Trafalgar Square and you'll do much better.

The staff was perfectly pleasant, just slightly inept. I get the impression there is a large contingent of Eastern European workers who are pleasant people and wanting to please, but lacking intrinsic hotel skills or good management to teach the required skills. For example, when someone from housekeeping says they'll send a sheet up that doesn't mean go away for an hour or two and then send it up. Waiters at the restaurant should make an appearance at table from time to time so if guests would like some water it could be poured - that sort of thing. I don't mean to take any shots at Eastern Europeans in general, as I've had great service at hotels in Eastern Europe - I just mean to speculate that since all the service personnel we met were Eastern Europeans that perhaps the folks who had made their way to employment at this particular hotel did not have prior service experience or training.

I have to say, the experience spooked me - I'll be much more careful checking out a hotel on tripadvisor before just trusting pictures and self-description on a web site, even if I like some other hotel operated by the same hotel group. I suppose they could improve service with a bit more attentive management, but there's not much they can do about a disco boat being moored right outside their windows. If you book here and don't like sleeping to a background thump of disco music, book a room away from the river or resign yourself to sleeping with earplugs inserted.

On the plus side the hotel had a great location for Parliment / Whitehall / Trafalgar tourism. It's convenient both to the Thames sights and to the theater district. It was kept clean and the wakeup calls came on time. Although they took reminders, they did get most things right.

I've rated this "no frills" since little of it was really useable. For example, yes, in theory it has a fitness center but in reality it is a small, grim room on the eight floor.

All things considered you can do far worse in London. If you don't mind the disco noise in the summer you could probably even stay here OK in a pinch. Prices were not terrible, so if you cannot find better this could be a tolerable alternative.

Pluses: good location, wakeup calls on time. clean, some recent refurbishment in bathrooms, taxi arranged by doorman on time

Minuses: disco noise, poor food/breakfast buffet, staff requiring reminders all the time, useless concierge

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank DimitriDonskoi
HotelLondon, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 13 August 2010
I sincerely apologise that your stay with was not as pleasant as we would like it to be. We do take all feedback positively at the Royal Horseguards Hotel and apply it towards improving our standards of service in all areas. I will personally make sure that your comments are passed on to all departments within the hotel which will help in training all our employees with the correct company operating procedures.

I would like to write to you personally about the points raised in your review and would appreciate if you could contact via email - Royalhorseguards@guoman.co.uk

Kind Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
cobham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

Great hotel, I would advise that you book a river view room fabulous looking over the Thames. The restaurant food was a gastronomic delight! pleasant and friendly staff.....I would go back again

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank touristgalore8
lincolnshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

Stayed here for just the one night on business; didn't use any of the facliities, just straight to my room and room service ( expensive, bland). Long narrow oblong room twin beds at one end, desk and flat screen tv on wall at the other. Couldn't see tv well from bed, no decent place to sit other than that (just a couple of small leather dining room type chairs; could have easily fitted a comfy sofa at the end of the bed)

No view whatsoever! In fact view so poor ( narrow gap then another wing of the building) the glass was frosted, so no natural light even. Didn't need much natural light though, as overdosed overnight on the amount of dazzling LED displays in the room! two phones with big full on light strips, led strip under the wardrobe that I couldn't switch off....ended up in the middle of the night stuffing pillows and cushions over them all to try and get some sleep. Uncomfortable beds too.

Next morning ordered a taxi at reception...after standing around for 15 mins, walked to the end of the road and hailed one myself ( not a concierge in sight)

Have stayed at the Langham before; similar price and soooooo much nicer....smaller rooms but much more plush and comfy, Fab views and great location.
won't be returning to horseguards/

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KJHlincs
HotelLondon, Front Office Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 31 July 2010
I am sorry that your stay was unpleasant and that we did not meet the high expectations that you expected from the Royal Horseguards Hotel. We take on board all customer feedback & will strive to improve all areas of our business through your constructive comments.

Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend in May 2009 for a friend's wedding. We managed to get a really good deal through a website (we wouldn't have been able to stay there if we had had to pay full price), and although it was a bit more expensive than what we first wanted, we decided to try it. Believe me, it was worth it.

First of all, the hotel is in an excellent location. You can go walking to Covent Garden, Westminster Abbey, the Big Ben, etc. We had stayed in September 2008 close to Paddington Tube Station, and we always had to take the tube (except, maybe, for visiting Hyde Park).

Secondly, the rooms are huge for London standards and fully equipped: telephone, minibar, a big bed, an iron and an iron board, big flat screen TV, etc. And the bathroom... it was big as well, and we were incredibly amused by the TV we had on the bath. You could watch TV while you were taking a shower or bathing. I must mention, though, the channel shown on the bath-TV was the same as the one in the room. Both bathroom and bedroom were very clean.

The staff were very nice and helpful. On our arrival, they carried our luggage to our room (we forgot to tip the bellhop, our apologies to the man) and they explained to us were we could buy a Swiss knife (it was part of the wedding present). They also kept our luggage on our leaving day (we had to leave the room in the morning and the plane left in the afternoon).

The food was good: it was buffet style, with plenty of everything.

There is only one minor thing on the downside: we didn't sleep very well because the bed duvet was too thick for us. However, it was our fault, as we never told the staff nor asked them for a change.

If I ever have the opportunity of going back, I will definitely go.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank montseel
We are delighted that you you enjoyed your stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel. Your comments will certainly be passed onto the staff - No need to worry about the bellman, its all part of the service that we greatly pride ourselves in. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you have reason to stay overnight in London.
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

We stayed at the Royal Horseguards for two nights and paid for a room with a view (in advance), having stayed in London before, we wanted a good hotel and views of the Thames and London Eye and our search and reviews lead us to the hotel.

Imagine our surprise or more accurately disappointment when we entered our room and found that the "outstanding views of the River Thames and London Eye" (as stated on the Guoman Hotel website) were blocked by tall trees almost totally removing any view of the river or the London Eye, plus there was a cot in the room which we had to ask twice to be removed.
Rose complained to reception , who were initally apologetic but slightly disinterested, after reinforcing her disappointment, Rose was informed that the hotel was full and no other room was available, when asked if a refund would be given as there was no view the reply was a resounding no, eventually Rose was offered a room change onto the 6th for our 2nd night, Rose accepted.
The 2nd room on the 6th floor had a better view of the river and London Eye but it was still obscured by the trees, on a plus point our luggage was moved as promised.

However, both rooms (Deluxe & Executive King) were very well appointed, tidy and clean, the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom were the best i have seen in a hotel for a long time. We loved the tv in the bathroom and the speakers in the headboard.
The breakfast was lovely, very good. I cannot fault any part, the fruit was fresh and the hot cooked breakfast (sausages, bacon, eggs, toms, beans, mushrooms) was superb.

Overall, the Royal Horseguards is first class hotel that is very well located hotel for the west end and the major toursit attractions, shame we had an issue.

The nicest member of staff was the young lad who opened the door, hailed the cabs and helped with our luggage.

We would stay again, but in the winter when there isn't any leaves on the trees!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fluffy2506
Many thanks for your constructive comments with regards to your recent stay with us at the Royal Horseguards Hotel - I was disappointed to hear that you experienced a problem with your room allocation on your first night with us. Unfortunately the trees in the park do obstruct some views from the bedrooms facing the River Thames.

I will pass on your comments with regards to our Housekeeping Standards to my Executive Housekeeper. as we take great pride in our newly refurbished bedrooms. Our buffet Breakfast is constantly being monitored by our Food and Beverage department and your feedback is proof that we are achieving our goals in customer satisfaction.

Please feel free to contact the hotel directly via email the next time you have made a booking to stay with us, I will only be too happy to personally take care of your room allocation.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

Excellent staff who went that bit further to help and be pleasant be it on reception or at breakfast or the concierge...
Good breakfast, nice room, fine location, interesting building and history and thanks to travel republic a reasonable price given how horribly expensive London is these days.
I did book a single room and was given a single bed single room but they moved me for £10 very quickly and easily. I got what I ordered but expected, rightly or wrongly, a double bed and did get one after asking the question.
Not a huge room or huge bathroom but this is an old building and so the bathrooms have not come straight off the drawing board of a newly built hotel.

1 Thank imhonot
HotelLondon, Front Office Manager at The Royal Horseguards, responded to this review, 1 August 2010
Thank you for your recent comments on Tripadvisor - We prride ourself in our customer service and I am delighted to hear that your interaction with numerous departments lived upto and beyond your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Horseguards Hotel
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

Booked The Royal Horseguards through Last Minute as a Top Secret. We had been given freebie tickets to see Stevie Wonder at Hard Rock Calling, and thought a night at a hotel afterwards would take the stress out of travelling home to the country.

We had booked their entry-level double room, but were 'upgraded' on check-in by the slightly frazzled looking Receptionist. The room was looking onto a light well - in other words no view, no light, and had a small double bed (a 4'6" one) - I had no idea hotels still had such things, let alone a five star hotel! So - not much of an upgrade!

However, there ends the gripe! The room fit-out certainly befitted its five star status - everything stylish and comfortable. They have lovely Elemis toiletries, proper coffee for the cafetiere, very nice bathroom. I do agree with another reviewer though - those bedside clocks could light the room single-handed! We had to find something to stick over it!

Breakfast was not included in our deal...which turned out to be a good thing, as the hotel was SO quiet that we woke really late (11.30!) and had just half an hour to get up and check out, then run to the station to get our train to a lunch party!

The trip coincided with my husband's birthday, and I had tried to e-mail the hotel to ask if an upgrade was possible. Their e-mail link didn't work and so I sent it to the main Guomen address - where of course it wasn't answered. A shame, because we would have paid a little extra for a REAL upgrade. Lucky we weren't too worried about the room, else it would have rather soured our trip.

I would go back, especially if I had business close to Charing Cross - but would ensure that I had a room with an outside window!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple