“Disappointing”

Ranked #77 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Disappointing experience. I arrived at 17:00 on a Friday evening and although checkin was from 14:00, there were no rooms available. 2 other people were also waiting at the same time. After explaining I was attending a function starting in 1 hour I was given a room. After 10 minutes in the room I realised from the smell it was a smoking room. I had booked a non smoking room and at no time had I been asked if I would accept a smoking room. I called reception and was told someone would call me back. No one did,so I called again. I spoke to the reception supervisor but no other rooms were available. I had to get ready in this room and leave my luggage so it could be moved when a room was available. Because of the calls, I was an hour late to the function and extremely upset. I could not believe that a hotel of this caliber could get something as basic as checking in so wrong. The reception supervisor tried her best for service recovery but all I wanted was what I had booked and, after looking forward to staying at this hotel, I was extremely disappointed. Very bad customer service. I work in the travel industry and stay in hotels all around the world and this has been the most disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for non smoking if that is your preference. Be aware room will probably not be read...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Liz S
Kristina J, Guest Relations Executive at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower.

I was concerned to learn about your experience which fell short of what you would expect from a Jumeirah property and caused you some obvious inconvenience.

The hotel check-in time is 2pm, however unfortunately on the day you arrived the hotel was almost full and a number of our guests had decided to extend their stay. The knock-on effect of this was to cause a delay in allocating your room for which I apologise. We always endeavour to allocate rooms based on guests preferences and are sorry that on this occasion, we were unable to initially give you a non-smoking room. I am glad we were able to move you to your requested room type after a short time.

As mentioned, we always strive to deliver a smooth and efficient service and I would like to assure you that your comments have been taken on board and once again, our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Thank you for your comments and once again, we very much hope that we will have the privilege of looking after you again on your next visit to London in order that we may restore your faith in Jumeirah Carlton Tower.

With kind regards,
Kristina Jesenska

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
Swindon
Reviewed 8 December 2013

From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. Anna, on the front desk, could not have been nicer and offered us complimentary coffee when our room was not quite ready. She then offered us an executive suite on the Royal Floor, which was excellent. The staff were amazing, they could not have been more helpful and did not hang around afterwards waiting for a tip, which was most appreciated. The room was also brilliant and far exceeded our expectations. The next day, we were attending a function and were unlikely to be back in time for checkout, so Marco on the front desk made sure that we could leave our things in the room and use it to change when we got back. We then went to breakfast where Bartak looked after us incredibly well and the meal itself was gorgeous. All in all, our stay was amazing! 'So what?' I hear you say, 'you get what you pay for'. That is true, however the hotel charged us nothing for our stay, or for my parents as I was receiving an award at the palace. This generosity made an already special day even more memorable and I would like to thank Antje Balow and Mr Warner, Elke, and all the other members of staff for whom nothing was too much trouble. All the best.

• Stayed December 2013
Kristina J, Guest Relations Executive at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your views here on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to hear your kind comments about the hotel, suite you stayed in and especially about my fellow colleagues. It has been a pleasure to have you and your family staying with us on such a special occasion and I am happy to hear that thanks to the service extended we made your day even more memorable.

Please rest assured that I have shared your compliments with the team and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the near future.

Kristina Jesenska
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife & I booked in for Saturday evening for one night as we were attending a family party in town and anticipated a late finish. We had a suite on the 10th floor that had a great view of Harrods with its Christmas lights on full display. The room had a good layout and we were extremely pleased that we had chosen Carlton Towers. The check in was quick and simple and we were shown to our room within 5 mins of arriving allowing us to get on enjoying our short stay.

We had a quick drink in the bar before heading out and both agreed we could have settled in for the evening if we hadn't got prior arrangements - staff were quick and courteous, a nice comfortable relaxed atmosphere.

Breakfast was a highlight, service slick, with fresh coffee in plentiful supply. The 'Full English' was lovely and set us up for the day.

Superb location and would be a perfect base for Christmas shopping sadly we didn't have time for that but we will definitely be back when the next opportunity arises!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jamie D
Patricia H, Front Office Manager at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

It is particularly pleasing to read a review such as yours and I am delighted you had a thoroughly good stay.

I am glad you enjoyed the Junior Suite on the 10th floor which as you mentioned has a fabulous view of the famous Harrods department store, which sparkles at night time.

It is important to start off the day in a positive way, so I am happy you found breakfast superb and set you up perfectly to explore everything London has to offer.

We hope we do have the pleasure of welcoming you back for the Festive Season, if not then we look forward to seeing you soon in the New Year.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This hotel is all about location, and not about the hotel. Generally the hotel feels shabby, which given the price tag is unacceptable. But beyond the general appearance, this hotel forgets all the basics of luxury service - make your costumer feel special. On our arrival it took reception 25 minutes to check us in!! Because of this we missed our 20 minutes of our massage, and it's here everything started to go wrong. On check out I was left waiting while a junior receptionist consulted with his "manager" behind closed doors for some 10 + minutes, and not once did the so called manager show his/her face - cowardly and completely unacceptable. I have received better service from holiday inns. They did provide a comp bottle of champagne and removed one massage - but only after I complained. And then on check out they had only removed 20%, which lead to further delays and frustration for my family on check-out.

Doormen are indifferent (and I tipped well!), and no one really made any effort to get to know me and my family. I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights all in all, and no one greeted me by my name - not once!

The food was very average in the hotel - extremely expensive and average.

The pool feels very dated and has an extremely strong smell of chlorine, plus everywhere you turn there are notices telling you "dont do this" "dont do that", it just felt cold. But by this point I was really not liking this hotel and things continued to go wrong.

Really give this place a miss - find a 4/5 star with more recent fit out, and where they really focus on the costumer. Based on my experience I think the hotel has a fundamental gap in their understanding of luxury hotel service. I'm travelling to Switzerland in the coming days, Zurich and Geneva, and I know this country gets what counts as professional hotel service.

Room Tip: higher up is better - facing the city
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank willcomment
Dear Guest,

I would first like to apologise for your experience following your recent stay here at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower. The hotel management is aware of your experience and the problems which occurred.

First of all I am sorry that only one of your rooms was ready on arrival and for the second there was a delay. I completely accept that both rooms should have been ready on arrival. Unfortunately the request of both rooms being on the same floor caused the hotel a delay as we only have 5 superior garden facing rooms on each floor.

This subsequently did cut off 10 minutes of time from the treatments which were booked so as a gesture we offered two different options to compensate you. I am sorry that there however was confusion over what had been offered.

I am truly sorry that you felt the service was not personalised and that the doormen were indifferent. Here at Jumeirah one of our hallmarks is to deliver exceptional personalised service so this is disappointing to read and not the usual level of service which we aim to provide to our guests.

In the Peak Health Club we do monitor the chlorine levels in the swimming pool every two hours to make sure it is at the perfect level but I am sorry if you felt it was too high. Again I have shared your comment with the Peak Health Club Manager.

Once again I am truly sorry that your stay was not an enjoyable and memorable one. If you would be so kind to give us another opportunity to demonstrate the true service levels that Jumeirah has become renowned for then please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards
Pontyclun, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel was okay but my son and I stood out like a sore thumb in our jeans and jackets. I like nice hotels and good food but fashion holds no interest to me. I felt totally humiliated whilst checking in when I was asked if I'd like a wake up call - 'no thanks' I replied. Would I like a morning newspaper - again, 'no thanks'. The reply came "it's free". OMG, how patronising, I nearly died of embarrassment.
After a days shopping I asked if we could dine at their restaurant but my jeans were not suitable attire. Instead I had to purchase in-room dining which I could eat in my jeans at the same cost as dining out.
The hotel is nice, nothing spectacular. The room was small in comparison to others I have stayed at. Finally, if you book this as a deal don't wear jeans!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank susaq12
Patricia H, Front Office Manager at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review following you recent stay with us at Jumeirah Carlton Tower.

I would like to first of all sincerely apologise if you felt in any way embarrassed during your time in the hotel as we would certainly not wish that to be the case. On arrival we do give the option of a complimentary UK newspaper to our guests, as an additional service, and am sorry if this was communicated to you in a way that caused embarrassment.

We do not have a dress code in any our restaurants so should you have wished to dine in The Rib Room, The Chinoiserie or The Club Room, you would have been very welcome. I am sorry if you had the impression that jeans were unsuitable attire – I can assure you this is not the case.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here on our wedding night and it was wonderfully luxurious but not at all stuffy. The staff were friendly, down to earth and nothing was too much trouble. We watched the sunrise from our balcony with a glass of champagne (recommended!) then a quick swim before a delicious steak and eggs breakfast! Unforgettable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us following your stay with us.

I am delighted that you had a memorable stay with us and Jumeirah was able to play a small part in such as wonderful celebration.

From all the staff and management we wish you both well in your future together and we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Beijing, China
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This was my 2nd time at this relatively new hotel chain, I stayed at their Frankfurt location and liked it so I booked it in London and liked it.
Location is central, walking distance to Harrods and Hyde Park
You get a lot of amenities for free, like internet access.
There is a nespresso machine in every room
You are greeted by a friendly staff who shows you that you are welcome at the hotel not that you are lucky to have a room
Concierge very knowledgeable and helped us recommending places
Breakfast could be better.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nodiscrimination88
GuestRelations3, Guest Relations Manager at Jumeirah Carlton Tower, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable stay during your visit to London and we lived up to your high expectations set by our colleagues in Germany, at the Jumeirah Frankfurt Hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary high speed internet which is provided for our guests throughout the hotel and the Nespresso machine which is placed in every guest room for a Espresso to start the morning.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team here at the hotel who made you feel special . Your review is on display for the team to see that their hard work is not going unnoticed.

I would however like to apologise that you felt breakfast was not perfect, as it should be. If you would be so kind to contact me directly at andrew.booth@jumeirah.com to let me know the areas which could have been improved and I will assure that this is looked at with the food and beverage director.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we hope Jumeirah has the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Andrew