“Massive hotel but managed very well”

Hilton London Metropole
Ranked #591 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
West Yorkshire
“Massive hotel but managed very well”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This hotel is very large and there are so many people hanging around, how the staff keep it running I am not sure, but there all do a great job.

Room was nice as executive room in the modern tower black.

Club Lounge was too hectic for me so skip this most nights.

Good location for Edgware Road & Paddington

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manassas, United States
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The staff and service are generally excellent, so the poor rating really is due to the experience with the room, where value for money and my expectation of a Hilton left me disappointed in my room. I stayed here recently for a conference. I was given a standard nonsmoking king room in the tower. There were no open outlets at the desk, and I had to move around the TV and alarm clock plugs to another outlet I discovered after hunting around the room in order to free up an outlet at the desk. There are also no outlets bedside at all, so the alarm clock is on the opposite side of the room from the bed, and you're out of luck if you'd like to charge your electronics bedside. Additionally, the hotel seems to have a problem certain times of day keeping up with hot water demand in the tower rooms. I took a cold shower every day for a week because apparently too many people were taking showers between 7 and 8 AM. Lastly, the fitness center is TINY for a hotel of this size, only 2 treadmills, 2 elipticals, a rower and a bike, so you're likely to wait for machines.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Hotel is located in one of the more busier and ethnic parts of London but is very well positioned to access the city. Underground station is very close. The hotel itself is quite old but has had several face lifts. The hotel lobby is modern and contemporary and has a great open bar area which is a good place to meet informally. The rooms are reasonably sized, modern and very comfortable. The breakfasts are good with plenty of choice and a full buffet style offering with an extensive compliment of continental and full English options. We used the business facilities and the boardrooms were well appointed with projector, dedicated coffee machines etc.., comfortable and quite large. Check in / out was a breeze and I would definitely use this hotel again for my next business trip.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed on business. I had a very poor service experience at check in which I raised separately with the duty manager. Putting that to one side, the staff were generally friendly and helpful. The lobby area has been refurbished and it's money well spent.
My room was small and tired looking, and was not particularly clean. The lighting was appalling, with no central light and the desk light not working. Therefore one bedside lamp lit the entire room, which made it incredibly dark. The heating/aircon seemed to be fixed, and with the windows bolted shut, getting any air in to the room was impossible. Therefore on showering, the whole room steamed up even with the bathroom door closed, and remained like that for ages, so I basically dressed in a steam room!

I'm sure there are nicer rooms for an even more extortionate price.

Breakfast was good.

I would not stay again.

Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We were spending the day in London and visiting the O2 Arena in the evening for a concert. We booked 3 rooms, arrived early and we were not disappointed. The staff were brilliant and had decorated my grand daughters room with banners and balloons. They also baked a lovely cake with freshcream, berries and chocolate and a large plate of Chocolate coated Strawberries and on top of that left a bottle of Prosseco in her room all free of charge. We had a really lovely stay and we will definitley be staying with Hilton again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Mars, PA
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed a week in this property which was the conference location. I reserved a king, well in advance. I arrived around 11 am and was told my room was not available. That's not unusual if the hotel was full, but they were unable to suggest when it would be ready. I did get my key at around 2pm. It was for a twin double in the Tower. You don't want to be in the Tower. I was on the 11th floor. The room is very small, dark and tattered. It's badly in need of an upgrade.

The hot water was cool to lukewarm. I reported this problem to the front desk. It was not addressed. I believe this was a systemic problem as many other conference attendees reported the same problem. It got a bit better at the end of the week as the hotel started emptying out.

WiFi was poor. Our conference seriously stresses the network, we know that. We offer to fix the hotel's network, and we always supply a huge amount of bandwidth to the hotel network. Apparently, the hotel was unwilling or unable to address problems we know can be fixed straightforwardly.

Amenities were Hilton standard. Not bad, nothing great. Towels were good quality, and plentiful. Bed linens were adequate. The bed was not very comfortable. Pillows were okay. Bed quality in 4 star hotels is usually very good these days. Not in this property.

The rate included breakfast. Our conference was forced to take breakfast in a huge meeting room, buffet only, and not the same buffet as served in the restaurant. Many items were served cold that should have been hot, especially the eggs.

Housekeeping was good. I did not notice any problems. Housekeepers were very friendly: always a smile, always a nice greeting.

The conference had breaks which involved drinks and food. The staff were overly vigilant in not allowing food to be taken until the appointed time for the break. That was silly.

The location is great. Short walk from Paddington Station, lots of good restaurants and shops around. The lobby is modern and inviting. I used the bag check, which was friendly and efficient.

When I checked out, a day early, when asked about my stay, I mentioned the hot water, and that I had informed staff. The clerk apologized, offered some kind of special rate on a future stay (like I would ever come back unless it was again the conference hotel), but otherwise offered no compensation for a fundamentally bad problem. As it happened, I wanted to pay some of the bill i cash, but the clerk who served me couldn't handle cash? Really? So I had to wait for another clerk to become free, but she was solving some complex problem. So I had to wait another 5 minutes or so. I escaped with no further incident.

This is NOT a four star property, at least in the Tower rooms. I understand West Wing is considerably better. If you are staying, demand a West Wing room. Do not expect any large problem to be addressed, only expect some sympathy.

Room Tip: West Wing is reported to be very good. I think East Wing is also good.