“A solid hotel”

Hilton London Metropole
Ranked #594 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Currently in the middle of a 9-night stay here and wanted to share some thoughts. This is an enormous convention hotel that is somewhat lacking in charm solely by virtue of its size, but that has in no way dampened my overall positive feelings of the hotel. Despite the size it somehow never feels crowded, and the lobby and public areas are all nicely appointed, well decorated, and kept very clean.

I am a Hilton HHonors Gold member and was kindly granted an upgrade to a Queen Superior room upon request, as we have three people and required the extra space. The room has two queen beds and is around the same size as an average two-queen-bed room in the United States, which is a huge room for London. There is plenty of space, the room is nicely appointed, the beds are extremely comfortable, and despite overlooking a very busy street there is no issue with street noise whatsoever. Overall I'd say the room is quite nice, and enormous by London standards. Also important is a decent number of power outlets available, although oddly there are none near the beds, which would have been nice.

Breakfast in the restaurant Fiamma is good with a very large selection of hot and cold items. We've received impeccable service from Juliet Hammon, who has taken such great care of us and has a wonderfully warm and welcoming attitude. Her service has been so good that we felt compelled to mention our appreciation to the manager. Sit in Juliet's area and she will take great care of you!

Location is not wonderful in terms of things within immediate walking distance, but tube access is very close and very easy with the Circle, District, Hammersmith and City, and Bakerloo lines all no more than two minutes away on foot. Also, for some reason this hotel seems to be in the windiest part of the city, which of course is no fault of the hotel's but is odd nonetheless.

Overall I'm give this place a solid 4/5 because they're doing a good job where it counts. They provide a good product and I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the west wing are recently refurbished and supposedly in much better condition than in the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kdoughboy
Marketingteam, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear kdoughboy,

Thank you so much for your feedback. It’s always great to hear when a guest feels welcomed and cared for. We are glad that Juliet was able to make your breakfast experience memorable. We will personally make sure that Juliet gets your great comments.
We hope that the rest of your stay will be enjoyable and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (5,006)

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel, the week of March 16th, 2014. My check in was quick and efficient. The room was a good size and had the necessary essentials I was looking for in a European hotel. The hotel is very centrally located for the London sites. The Edgware underground is a two minute walk, either for the Bakerloo or the Center Lines, and the major bus routes are on either sides of the four corners of the intersection at the hotel. A number of cabs are always parked on the side of the hotel.
The concierge desk is very knowledgeable and helpful in navigating any location, and in my opinion add a great value to the value of the hotel. The Lobby Bar staff are all very friendly and lovely.
The housekeeping, in my room at least, failed miserably. The beds were done nicely, but the bathroom consistently was short of towels. There were only two towels to begin with, which I used for three days, and then after using them for the third day, put them on the floor in the bathroom as per instructions to have them replaced. The towels lay there for two days, and were replaced on the day I was leaving and had no need for them. For this reason, as far as my experience goes, I am giving this hotel a C, rather than a B+

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Visited for 4 nights with our kids...comfy rooms and quite spacious for Europe. Right across the street from 2 different Tube stations, so very convenient for transportation. Close to Paddington station to take the express train from Heathrow. Short 2-min cab ride from Paddington. Very good service by all employees of the hotel.

Wireless internet too expensive! Free internet in lobby was very spotty and almost worthless to us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated part of the hotel! It's a longer walk from the front desk but w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at this great hotel.The rooms were spacious and lovely. Customer service was excellent. We had to wait a while to check in, so they upgraded us to a suite! Well worth the wait! One of the best hotels I've stayed in in London. We were staying on floor 12 of the West Wing and the view was excellent. I'd definitely recommend.
I'm really shocked at the other TripAdvisor reviews to be honest! Clearly some people just love to complain!

Room Tip: Room 1274 has excellent views!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mmc_10704
Marketingteam, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear mmc_10704,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you experienced the level of service that we strive to achieve every day. Hilton London Metropole hopes to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Location, age and general guest amenities all questioned. Maybe convention or conference facilities acceptable but for a elderly couple the hotel was not user friendly. Did not feel safe in neighborhood, and no hotel help other than explaining "how far to walk to underground". Transportation not available from site?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent visit to Hilton London Metropole, where we welcome guests of all ages. We have a taxi rank just adjacent to the hotel so are very saddened to hear there were no services for you. We apologise if our staff was not more helpful when you asked for transportation possibilities. We will make sure that your feedback will be passed on to our team.
Thank you for your feedback, we hope you return to London again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We decided to book a lastminite secret hotel and ended up with the awful Hilton Metropole! On arrival the lobby and reception area are clearly the only areas recently refurbished and lead you to believe this is a nice hotel. After check in we were informed our standard double room wasn't ready and that we would be in a delux room on the 18th floor with a view. We excitedly arrived to our room only to find it dirty with tea stains on the carpet, ripped wallpaper, chipped tables, held together with duck tape!....YES DUCK TAPE, rotten radiator covers and the view was of a block of flats! Not the sort of people to normally complain we decided to mention that we were not happy to reception, who was polite and promised something better. We were moved to another non smoking delux room on the 21st floor. Although the room was better in decor it stank to high heaven of cigarettes! We opened all the windows we could and asked housekeeping to come in and freshen it up only to discover he stank worse than the cigarettes with the worst body odour problem ever! In the morning during a shower the smell of cigerettes was over whelming coming through the vents. I can safely say i will never stay in a hilton hotel neither will I recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Maria M
Marketingteam, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Maria M,

Thank you for your feedback from your last stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We apologize for any shortfalls during your stay and would like to have to have the opportunity to investigate this matter further, therefore we will require some more details.

Can you kindly contact Natalia Rivilli, Assistant Operations Manager via e-mail: natalia.rivilli@hilton.com

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I was checked into a room which had a window facing a wall when I rand down and spoke to customer service manager I was told I booked a standard room when I told her yes I did but not a standard with a view of a wall she gave me a lecture on how the hotel was good enough to check me sin at 2 3o on instead of 3 pm and that if u wasn't happy to come down to reception with no help with my luggage no nothing what a good customer service that is from Hilton
When u got to reception she approached me with an attitude saying you want to change your room do you is said I wasn't happy with the way she dealt with this and could I speak to her manager she then stated to me that she had be patient with me and that I should have booked a different room
This was customer service at its worst I stay in hotels reg and fair play this one gets the prize for havering the worst customer service manager ever
The duty manager then arrived and took over with a diff attitude and said she was sorry something the other manager could find the word to say
I then went to a desk later where there is a poster with a pic of a guy from Hilton saying tell me your thoughts we want to know but guess what the holder for the comments cards was empty what a suprise
I have made comments about poor service at this hotel in the past and I have no doubt the reply to this would be a standard Hilton one
Maybe for a change the gm at this hotel will reply to all the issues raised

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Stevewales44
Marketingteam, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Sir

Thank you for sharing you feedback with us. I believe you spoke with our Assistant Operations Manager Leigh-Anne yesterday who was very happy to assist you.
Our Front of House Manager will be in further contact with you, we can assure you this is not our usual level of service provided.
We take your comments very seriously and most certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Due to a busy Sunday of departures our comment cards appear to have been popular, we have replaced these today and will always welcome our guests feedback. Please accept our most sincere apologies, we look forward to seeing you again. Should you need anything in the meantime please do not hesitate to ask Leighanne.thacker@hilton.com