“Great place to stay, excellent staff”

Hilton London Metropole
Ranked #578 of 1,064 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wem, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay, excellent staff”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed her for a business conference over 2 days. The facilities were very good, and the staff were very attentive when their service was required. The buffet food they put on at lunchtimes was very well presented, with a great choice of crusty filled rolls and Indian nibbles. The room we had on the fifth floor, was long and thin (had 3 single beds in it). The bathroom too small, but then you're not spending a lot of time in the bathroom. Drinks at the bar were in line with Central London prices, quite expensive. Breakfast had a choice of continental and tractional English, which was very nice. Location was great, just a 10 minute walk to Mable Arch. Would definitely consider staying here on a leisure visit, if I could afford it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that dosn't have a small bathroom, if that's likely to cause you a problem.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review in Tripadvisor following your stay at London Hilton Metropole.
We are extremely glad that you noted the helpfulness of our staff and the quality of the service provided. The team will be very happy when we share these kind comments of appreciation for their hard work.
Also that you enjoyed the buffet at lunchtime as well as the breakfast options.
We are sure we will welcome you back very soon for another unforgettable experience!

PJ Kenny
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on the way back from Paris. Firstly they didn't have our reservation. They did sort this out and we got a room with a great view of the marylebone flyover!

The rooms are ok but nothing special. The restaurant on the ground floor isn't very well maintained and the service is very slow. Took them 15 minutes to take a drink order. The food was good but overpriced.

At breakfast the next morning they only had 1 of us down for breakfast and were initially adamant that we would have to sign for one and sort it out with reception. I was then accused of brig rude just because I asked to speak to a manager. Eventually a manager was called who sorted it out promptly and efficiently. Was it worth the hassle. Definitely not! He breakfast was the worst I have ever had. The food was generally overcomes and Luke warm not hot. The seats in the part of the restaurant that we wee in for breakfast were filthy.

Over all the restaurant seems to cater for tourists who don't know any better.

I would suggest you book into one of the other hotels in London and give this one a miss

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robin M
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor from your last experience in London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We are very sorry that you had an unpleasant check in time during which your reservation was not found; however we are glad that eventually you were promptly assisted and a nice room with a view was allocated to you.

As well, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience about the number of guests with the breakfast inclusive. This information should have been updated at the same check in time. This is part of the procedure and we apologize for the shortfalls.

Rest assure all your valuable feedback will be shared with the concerned department, to implement an action plan to avoid recurrence.

Thank you for choosing London Hilton Metropole hotel during you stay in London and we hope that this experience does not prevent you from returning to our property soon.
We would be delighted to have you back and show you an improved level of service.

PJ Kenny
MIDLANDS
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I spent 8 days at the Hilton for an international event which was hosted at the hotel. From Start to finish the hotel staff were excellent.

We asked for our room to be located in the west tower to be nearer family members who has already checked in- this was honoured and we also received a larger room when they realised how much luggage we had! The security checks for additional room keys was thorough which I appreciated!

Check in was seamless. The location is handy with a costa and Starbucks very close.

Food and drink was expensive but we knew this would be the case however the quality was very good. Breakfast was £17.50 which can be seen as excessive but the choice was excellent and considering it was our only meal for most of the day it set us up very well. One of the waitresses knew my friend had a cold and she we f out of her way to offer him hot lemon and ginger - such a lovely gesture.

Hotel room spotless.

Really enjoyed our stay

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank 1986LBN
Leigh-Anne T, Assistant Operations Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
We are thrilled to hear our staff made your stay very special and we hope your friends cold didnt spoil the time spent in London too much.

Great to hear the Lemon & Ginger tea was appreciated.

We hope to see you again in the future at Hilton London Metropole
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here late April (friends were doing a Globus tour, and they were going to be staying here, so booked room to co-incide with their stay. Unfortunately their tour stayed elsewhere at last minute and I couldn't cancel).

From the street looks fine, nice reception. Staff very helpful BUT - when we got to our room, on third floor, had view of an air conditioning vent. There was no net curtain to pull to block it out, so rang reception and said wasn't prepared to look at that for three days. A one night stopover fine, but not three days, and no net curtain. The staff were very good and upgraded us to a deluxe room on 8th floor. Room much nicer so were happy with that (but still in need of refurbishment).

A VERY busy hotel, always noise and hustle and bustle and not calming at all anywhere. Breakfast was chaotic. Last day there, they were struggling to keep buffet supplied, or plates available - not how I like to start my day in such bedlum. Quality of food was fine, just dirty from spilt juice etc.

The bathroom was clean, but carpet looked very dusty round edges and could do with a spring clean.

My biggest peeve was luke warm/cold showers. A bad way to start the day. Not even any steam! I showered morning and evening, was the same, no matter what time.

Beds hard, pillows lovely and duvets cosy.

Location was good, train stations handy - supermarket across the road, and quick walk and you are on Oxford street and in the shops.

Not the worst I have stayed in, but didn't like the hustle and bustle - when I saw where my friends tour was moved to was envious - hard to believe they were similar price/star rating. That is where I would be staying next time.

Room Tip: We stayed in Tower Wing. Looks like need carpets cleaned and a refurbishment.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GTG2
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments following your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.
We noted your feedback with regards to the nice reception area and helpfulness of staff. These valuable words will be shared with the team.

On the other hand, we are deeply sorry that in the beginning you were not happy with the room allocation however the team actioned immediately and upgraded you for your comfort.
We also noted your comments about our breakfast. Sometimes, especially in peak hours, the restaurant where the breakfast takes place, experiences queues however our lovely staff strive to offer the best possible service to our entire guests, trying their utmost best to accommodate all requests in a timely manner.

Last but not least, we apologize for the water being cold in the shower. This is not a regular occurrence and we have a specialized Facilities team looking after these issues as soon as they are reported.

We are extremely glad that you decided you would stay with us again in the future and we are looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel located in the heart of London. Minutes walking from Paddington railway station and from Oxford street. Rooms are very luxuries nor big but it works in comparison to location benefit!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Newport Pagnell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

When checking in I was told the hotel did not have a reservation for me.

My reservation confirmation from my travel company clearly showed I had a reservation although the hotel claimed the travel company had made a mistake. When contacting the travel company they insisted the hotel had made a mistake (I hadn't made a mistake as I had proof in my hand).

The receptionist explained they had no room available in the hotel and checked a couple of sister hotels in the area who also had no room available.

The hotel also explained that they regularly overbook in the understanding that not every one will turn up, they also explained that they also had the right to cancel and offer the room out if a guest has not checked in by 4pm - This would be a concern if you are an international visitor

My evening ended with me having to drive home and miss the Black Tie award ceremony in Central London that I was due to attend

Room Tip: Call ahead and ensure a room is available before you turn up
Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Mearnsy1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable comments on Tripadvisor.

We would like to profusely apologize for any inconvenience caused upon check in, the fact that your reservation could not be found and there was no room available for you and also that you sadly missed the award ceremony you were meant to attend. Feedback has been provided to the concerned department for their review.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please email our Assistant Operations Manager at: natalia.rivilli@hilton.com.

We really hope that this experience does not refrain you from visiting us again in the near future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Overall

I constantly travel for work and am in hotels 3-4 nights a week clocking up over 150 room nights last year. I have stayed in the Hilton metropole many many times over the years but this was the first time since the new reception has opened up.

As this is a Hilton product I knew I would be safe, The hotel is right across from the Edgware road tube station. Overall the hotel is quite nice, good location for business travel. The new reception is where the old covered entrance was and is an airy and open space. The new reception feels like the same size as the old one, just in a different place. When you arrive he hotel is always packed so you queue for checkin. Often the HHonours queue can be longer than the normal queue. Once greeted, the process is pretty simple. The 3 towers have all still not been refurbished and would avoid the main tower. I always request the east tower as its closest to the lounge and pool. The west tower is the furthest away but is the most recently decorated. The west wing can get a little noisy as the doors don’t block sound brilliantly. The east wing is the quietest I find and the main tower is where all the cheapest rooms are so the lifts and doors are continually going.
My previous review gives more detail of the facilities

Good service, table service in the bar can be a little slow. Breakfast service is crowded as you’d expect in a hotel this size, but you are greeted at the door and escorted to a table where fresh orange is poured and a hot drinks order is taken.

My favourite place is the sports bar as the new simple menu is nice and well priced. Personally i find the restaurant too slow and quiet for my liking – the place can be mobbed but the restaurant may only have a handful of people in it. Good breakfast choices – standard food as per other hiltons

I stay here on a corporate rate but I have also stayed on private rates. Generally very good value at the lower end which can range from £89-200+ per night. Seems to fill up quickly so book early for cheaper rates..

Sleep Quality
East wing great. West wing OK, Main tower, not so good. .

Cleanliness
Very clean

Location
Great for the city centre and marble arch etc.

Rooms
East wing rooms are either king or twins. The decor is more Scandinavian in feel – lots of pine woods etc. The bathrooms are a little older but the overall room is nice. West wing rooms vary vastly from doubles to family rooms. The are quite long in length and have been done up in the new Hilton brown decor. The new rooms miss plugs by the bed so you cant charge a phone near you as you sleep – small issue but youd think that the room designers would have thought of it. Main Tower rooms are quite tired and I have moved out of a few where the air con has that wierd smell. These feel like the Hilton rooms of the 1990s.

General
Nice clean hotel with good service in a good location. Book the right wing though.

Room Tip: east wing only
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Iain F
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback in Tripadvisor following your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel and also for continuously choosing the brand.

We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel location and the new reception area, recently refurbished. We noted that you prefer our East Wing tower because of its quietness and the fact that is close to the Executive Lounge and LivingWell facilities, and that you enjoy the Sports Bar and its overall service.

Also, thank you for your positive comments with regards to cleanliness of the room, this great feedback will be shared with the concerned department.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again very soon!