“Poor service. Staff doesn't care!!”

Hilton London Metropole
Ranked #593 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed here in the beginning of May.
I arrived in the morning around 10 am and asked for a room. The staff didnt even ask my name or who I am straight away said" check in is at 3pm you can leave the luggage at the concierge"! I said not even one more and she laughed in my face saying "NO".
Then they send me to the lounge to have breakfast till i have my room ready. We asked for an omlette and they said go downstairs not even looking at me.
People on the sofa were sleeping and other people looking to find a seat available.
Next day i asked for late check out and they said its fine however at 12 am they checked me out without even checking if I am stil in the hotel or not. When i went to check out they said oooo but you are checked out already. When i questioned why u checked me out the receptionist answer very smile "Oooo sir we are checking out everyone at 12am" .
IF YOU LOOKING FOR A TRIP TO LONDON AND U HAVE IN PLAN SPENDING SOME TIME IN THE HOTEL FORGET ABOUT THIS HOTEL GO TO A B&B , much better.
This hotel is a FACTORY! No one cares about you, you feel like you are just a number , a natural figure for the hotel revenue!!
You destroyed hilton reputation!!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Cezar C
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for all the inconveniencies caused upon check in, from the poor check in service and staff attitude to the fact that you asked for late check out and it was not actioned accordingly.

We are very sorry that your stay with us was not satisfactory but we are eager to make changes to avoid future disappointments. Your valuable feedback will be shared with our team in the light of improve the overall service and treat all of our guests the way they deserve: to be respected and taken care of.

We really hope this experience does not refrain you from coming back to our property and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future to optimistically change your mind with regards to our service.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed her for a business conference over 2 days. The facilities were very good, and the staff were very attentive when their service was required. The buffet food they put on at lunchtimes was very well presented, with a great choice of crusty filled rolls and Indian nibbles. The room we had on the fifth floor, was long and thin (had 3 single beds in it). The bathroom too small, but then you're not spending a lot of time in the bathroom. Drinks at the bar were in line with Central London prices, quite expensive. Breakfast had a choice of continental and tractional English, which was very nice. Location was great, just a 10 minute walk to Mable Arch. Would definitely consider staying here on a leisure visit, if I could afford it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that dosn't have a small bathroom, if that's likely to cause you a problem.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review in Tripadvisor following your stay at London Hilton Metropole.
We are extremely glad that you noted the helpfulness of our staff and the quality of the service provided. The team will be very happy when we share these kind comments of appreciation for their hard work.
Also that you enjoyed the buffet at lunchtime as well as the breakfast options.
We are sure we will welcome you back very soon for another unforgettable experience!

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on the way back from Paris. Firstly they didn't have our reservation. They did sort this out and we got a room with a great view of the marylebone flyover!

The rooms are ok but nothing special. The restaurant on the ground floor isn't very well maintained and the service is very slow. Took them 15 minutes to take a drink order. The food was good but overpriced.

At breakfast the next morning they only had 1 of us down for breakfast and were initially adamant that we would have to sign for one and sort it out with reception. I was then accused of brig rude just because I asked to speak to a manager. Eventually a manager was called who sorted it out promptly and efficiently. Was it worth the hassle. Definitely not! He breakfast was the worst I have ever had. The food was generally overcomes and Luke warm not hot. The seats in the part of the restaurant that we wee in for breakfast were filthy.

Over all the restaurant seems to cater for tourists who don't know any better.

I would suggest you book into one of the other hotels in London and give this one a miss

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robin M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor from your last experience in London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We are very sorry that you had an unpleasant check in time during which your reservation was not found; however we are glad that eventually you were promptly assisted and a nice room with a view was allocated to you.

As well, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience about the number of guests with the breakfast inclusive. This information should have been updated at the same check in time. This is part of the procedure and we apologize for the shortfalls.

Rest assure all your valuable feedback will be shared with the concerned department, to implement an action plan to avoid recurrence.

Thank you for choosing London Hilton Metropole hotel during you stay in London and we hope that this experience does not prevent you from returning to our property soon.
We would be delighted to have you back and show you an improved level of service.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I spent 8 days at the Hilton for an international event which was hosted at the hotel. From Start to finish the hotel staff were excellent.

We asked for our room to be located in the west tower to be nearer family members who has already checked in- this was honoured and we also received a larger room when they realised how much luggage we had! The security checks for additional room keys was thorough which I appreciated!

Check in was seamless. The location is handy with a costa and Starbucks very close.

Food and drink was expensive but we knew this would be the case however the quality was very good. Breakfast was £17.50 which can be seen as excessive but the choice was excellent and considering it was our only meal for most of the day it set us up very well. One of the waitresses knew my friend had a cold and she we f out of her way to offer him hot lemon and ginger - such a lovely gesture.

Hotel room spotless.

Really enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank 1986LBN
Leigh-Anne T, Assistant Operations Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

We are thrilled to hear our staff made your stay very special and we hope your friends cold didnt spoil the time spent in London too much.

Great to hear the Lemon & Ginger tea was appreciated.

We hope to see you again in the future at Hilton London Metropole

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here late April (friends were doing a Globus tour, and they were going to be staying here, so booked room to co-incide with their stay. Unfortunately their tour stayed elsewhere at last minute and I couldn't cancel).

From the street looks fine, nice reception. Staff very helpful BUT - when we got to our room, on third floor, had view of an air conditioning vent. There was no net curtain to pull to block it out, so rang reception and said wasn't prepared to look at that for three days. A one night stopover fine, but not three days, and no net curtain. The staff were very good and upgraded us to a deluxe room on 8th floor. Room much nicer so were happy with that (but still in need of refurbishment).

A VERY busy hotel, always noise and hustle and bustle and not calming at all anywhere. Breakfast was chaotic. Last day there, they were struggling to keep buffet supplied, or plates available - not how I like to start my day in such bedlum. Quality of food was fine, just dirty from spilt juice etc.

The bathroom was clean, but carpet looked very dusty round edges and could do with a spring clean.

My biggest peeve was luke warm/cold showers. A bad way to start the day. Not even any steam! I showered morning and evening, was the same, no matter what time.

Beds hard, pillows lovely and duvets cosy.

Location was good, train stations handy - supermarket across the road, and quick walk and you are on Oxford street and in the shops.

Not the worst I have stayed in, but didn't like the hustle and bustle - when I saw where my friends tour was moved to was envious - hard to believe they were similar price/star rating. That is where I would be staying next time.

Room Tip: We stayed in Tower Wing. Looks like need carpets cleaned and a refurbishment.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GTG2

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments following your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.
We noted your feedback with regards to the nice reception area and helpfulness of staff. These valuable words will be shared with the team.

On the other hand, we are deeply sorry that in the beginning you were not happy with the room allocation however the team actioned immediately and upgraded you for your comfort.
We also noted your comments about our breakfast. Sometimes, especially in peak hours, the restaurant where the breakfast takes place, experiences queues however our lovely staff strive to offer the best possible service to our entire guests, trying their utmost best to accommodate all requests in a timely manner.

Last but not least, we apologize for the water being cold in the shower. This is not a regular occurrence and we have a specialized Facilities team looking after these issues as soon as they are reported.

We are extremely glad that you decided you would stay with us again in the future and we are looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Patrick Kenny

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel located in the heart of London. Minutes walking from Paddington railway station and from Oxford street. Rooms are very luxuries nor big but it works in comparison to location benefit!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2014

When checking in I was told the hotel did not have a reservation for me.

My reservation confirmation from my travel company clearly showed I had a reservation although the hotel claimed the travel company had made a mistake. When contacting the travel company they insisted the hotel had made a mistake (I hadn't made a mistake as I had proof in my hand).

The receptionist explained they had no room available in the hotel and checked a couple of sister hotels in the area who also had no room available.

The hotel also explained that they regularly overbook in the understanding that not every one will turn up, they also explained that they also had the right to cancel and offer the room out if a guest has not checked in by 4pm - This would be a concern if you are an international visitor

My evening ended with me having to drive home and miss the Black Tie award ceremony in Central London that I was due to attend

Room Tip: Call ahead and ensure a room is available before you turn up
Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Mearnsy1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable comments on Tripadvisor.

We would like to profusely apologize for any inconvenience caused upon check in, the fact that your reservation could not be found and there was no room available for you and also that you sadly missed the award ceremony you were meant to attend. Feedback has been provided to the concerned department for their review.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please email our Assistant Operations Manager at: natalia.rivilli@hilton.com.

We really hope that this experience does not refrain you from visiting us again in the near future.

Patrick Kenny