“It Was A good Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“It Was A good Stay”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I enjoyed my stray is this hotel for many reasons, the location was the most important The Edgware rd is very life and full of Arabic shops, restaurants and cafes.
less than 10 minutes to Oxford St or the Hyde park. Paddington station is just a 5 minute walk. Even it was easy to walk to Madame Tussauds and we were lucky we have seen a wedding while going.
The SPA and internal swimming pool were small but fine. Reception were fast for checking in and out. We have enjoyed the British breakfast. Room space was good and view from room was great.
Over all we left satisfied with unforgotten memories

Room Tip: Higher Floors gives you a better view, Take the one on Edgware rd and you will be able to see mostly...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sherif F
Nader N, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time and share your review with other travellers on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to see your review and I hope you had a great time with us.

Once again thank you for your constructive feedback which enables us monitor and improve our service.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a story of two halves. The Hilton London Metropole in general and then the bedrooms. I found the entire experience quite confusing. From a customer perspective, it appears all the investment has gone into the ground floor lobby and restaurants which were really quite modern and well presented. Unfortunately the bedrooms don't live up to the expectation on arrival. Rooms were VERY small and tired and not what I would consider value for money. The room did have a reasonable TV but everything else was very dated. The mattress on the bed was awful, springs have definitely deteriorated. I was only staying two nights and I knew the hotel was full so there was little I could do other than leave the hotel. Cupboards in the room and bathroom facilities definitely need attention as wear and tear is visible. The shower is reasonable with good pressure, bathroom taps confused me without an indication of hot or cold.

I was also disappointed to find the bedding was not replaced since I accidentally splashed a drink on the bedding. Housekeeping obviously found it easier to just turn the duvet over so I would not notice and would think the bedding had been changed.

Upon check-out, I was asked about my stay. I just said "OK" and the lady did not ask me to elaborate on the reasons therefore I am writing my review here.

On the plus side, I thought breakfast was very good (albeit sometimes difficult to track down the tea/coffee servers). Food in the sports bar was good, room service menu was good so I cannot fault this. I just wish rooms were updated and the same level of investment was applied. The hotel definitely feels disjointed, the nice plush lobby and restaurants and then the tired small bedrooms.

Would I return? Probably not given this experience and the poor value for money. I would seek other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a room above level four to minimise noise from the underground trains.
1 Thank freed0m
Nader N, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 3 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time and share your experience with other travellers.

I am disappointed to read your review and I would like to firstly apologise for the shortfall in the service from various department and mainly housekeeping cleanliness. Rest assured that I will follow up with the relevant departments to make sure this does not reoccur again in the future.

In regards to the rooms condition, please note that we are in process of updating our rooms in order to keep the Hilton standard you would expect from us, I do hope to have a chance to welcome you back in the future so you can experience our new rooms.

Once again, thank you for your detailed and constructive feedback which enables us monitor and improve our service.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a good check-in experience. Deborah attended to us and we had no issues. We had 2 separate bookings booked under 2 different OTA hence, we had to come back to the front desk to have our key cards exchanged on the 7th. The staff at the front desk, raised his hands and called us over to his side like we were dogs. I am working in the hotel industry and the basic thing for a front desk staff to do was to make eye contact and give a nod to the guest to show he was ready to serve us. On the 6th of June, fire alarm was activated. No announcements were made. We were all awaken by the loud screeching sound. Lifts were still moving up and down. When the fire alarm is activated, the lifts should not be working. We made our way down with 2 sleepy children and the whole lobby was filled with guests who were confused. We had to find our own way down and own way up using the fire exits. No help or guidance from any staff. When we complained about this the following day, the group manager on duty, Indra mentioned that many other guests were complaining about it too and that the hotel will do its best to evacuate all their guest but the hotel was fully booked and there were 2000 guests. Does this mean that some lives will be compromised if there was a real fire???? On the 8th of June, we wanted to store our luggage overnight and we were told that we had to pay for the storage. We agreed to the charge and wanted to pay cash but was told by a trainee that there was no cashier on duty and we had to pay by credit card. Why on earth would we pay such a small amount by credit card when we have enough cash? Why should we accommodate your system and what it can or cannot do. We are the guests and we are paying for the stay. There should always be 1 cashier on site. When we asked for a manager on duty, the group manager came out and he was very hostile. Indea claimed that I was taking advantage of the situation. How can you staff say such a thing to a guest who was already frustrated. I walked off after paying in cash for the storage of the luggage. Indra called me back in the room to apologise and he wanted to listen to the complains that I had but the damage was already done. I did not take his offer for free drinks at the bar.
On the day we were checking out, we asked for invoice, I was given mine but my aunt was not treated with respect. The person attending made us look like idiots. She went in to the back office, talked bad about us, we could hear them. Then came out and asked us what we wanted. We insisted on the invoice and my aunt mentioned that they were wasting our time as we had a train to catch. Then comes Nazreen who was so arrogant. She kept insisting that they could not give us the invoice but another colleague had already given me mine! So what kind of standards are you guys having? When I told her that I was going to write in a complain, she smirked and told me to go ahead and she wrote me her email address and name. I threw the card back at her. Honestly, based on this, it just goes to show, how often the hotel is receiving complaints for the staff to be so well versed in speaking the way she does. It concerns me that your staff lack training and how to make your guests feel at home. We had the worst stay anyone could ever have in a Hilton Hotel and Nazreen my god,she can smirk really well.
Seriously, I strongly suggest people do not stay in this hotel. Service is 1 thing but the safety of a guest should never be compromised.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Elisa M

Thank you for taking the time and share your experience with other travellers.

I am saddened to read your complain however I do believe that our Guest Relations Manager and Assistant Front of House Manager have already contacted you in regards to your issue.

Please contact me directly if you have any issue with their resolution.

stoke on trent
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had read mixed reviews about the hotel and I had a little trepidation, however I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was clean, bright and welcoming. Check-in was efficient and swift.
The family room was spacious and well-equipped and the bed was so comfortable that we did not want to get up! The hotel was busy hosting a wedding and a conference, but this did not compromise the atmosphere or the service. The executive lounge was large and comfortable and there was a brilliant range of food and drink, which was replenished quickly.
The biggest surprise, was when the hotel made a last minute change to breakfast arrangements, due to the volume of guests, and opened a second dining room in the ballroom! I have never known this efficiency and forward thinking in any hotel before and breakfast was to die for!
I would strongly recommend this hotel. Well done Hilton.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank chigStokeOnTrent
LONMECommsManager, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to place your comments on TripAdvisor. We were all delighted to read your review with 5-star rating.

The information you detailed especially with the quality of rooms and overall delivery of service across the hotel will greatly assist other travellers.
We believe that you will not hesitate to recommend us to your friends and family.

Once again, thank you for leaving such a positive feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Patrick Kenny
St. Helier, Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2014

it isan old, worn hotel with very small executive rooms, executive lounge was poor with not very nice food, fitness centre was very small for the hotel size, internet was slow, it took a long time to check in due to staff numbers, the area of the hotel is unappealing. the only plus side was that I was able to check out early, even then there was an error on refunding me for the second night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

2 Thank Ben S
Dear Valued guest,

I am saddened to read you review, please accept my apologies for the delay at check in.

Referring to your comments about the Executive lounge and Executive rooms, our Executive lounge is considered to be one of the largest Executive lounge compare to our sister hotels and also our Executive rooms are all within the average Executive rooms size.

BELMONT
Reviewed 17 June 2014

To avoid at any cost. Noise level in the room prevented to sleep during my 7 nights stay. One day my room was not cleaned by housekeeping service. Location is nice - several easy tube/bus options to get around town. Is this Hilton? Can't believe that!

2 Thank Stephane H

Thank you for taking the time and share your experience with other travellers.

I am disappointed to read your review and learn that you haven’t had a good night sleep due to the noise level from outside, I do apologise for the inconvenience as good night sleep is a must when you are travelling.

All of our rooms have a double glazed window and we normally do not have any issue in terms of noise level, I wish you would have voiced your concern during your stay do we could have offered you an alternative room.

I do hope to have the chance of welcoming you back to the Hilton Metropole, please let us know when you are due to stay again with us.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is an extremely busy conference hotel. It is well located and the staff are knowledgeable and efficient. The rooms are comfortable and well maintained. Not much in the way of free TV to watch. Close to M&S, good local pubs and 2 tube stations. Rooms clean but generally this cleaning only finished late in the day. Good wifi

Thank you for taking the time and share your experience with other travellers.

I am delighted to read your review about the stay, I hope to have a chance to welcome you back in the future.