“Good if you've got a deal price.”

Hilton London Metropole
Ranked #580 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mexico City, Mexico
“Good if you've got a deal price.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I got a good price for a double bed room and for the money, our stay was a good one. The hotel had a problem with their computers and it took many guests around 2-3 hours to check in. We were lucky we waited less than an hour and got an okay room, quite basic, but for the money I had paid it was fine.
Staff was helpful and doing their bests to solve this situation, however, the hotel could've been a bit more considerate to the guest as no amenities, discounts, a drink at the bar or vouchers were offered to guests that had waited for hours to get a room.
I would stay there again if I got a good deal and if I needed to stay in that area, but if you have to pay above 150 pounds for a night, then you might want to go somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you've got to travel from Paddington station you might want to stay here. It's a 10 minut...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VeroMartV
LONMECommsManager, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel, it is highly appreciated.

Unfortunately during your stay our hotel experienced difficulties due to our systems completely crashing. We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay due to this issue.

We would also like to thank you for the acknowledgment of our staff who did their upmost to provide excellent customer service.

We value your feedback as it allows us to improve and continue to provide the service that Hilton is known for.

Once again we would like to thank you for your review and we hope we can provide you with an enjoyable stay in the future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

1. Check in extremely slow

Came by in the afternoon and saw tens of people in the line. Dropped back (helpful concierge people) and came back 10:30PM. Still loads of people in the line - and staff spends at least 10 minutes on average to check people in. They seem to have a fun time chatting with checking-in customers with no regard of how many people are still waiting in the line. After all, they work for a certain number of hours not how many customers they served. The lady before me must have asked 100 questions about all the best places in London - and she could have been referred to the concierge?

2. Tired room - as a gold member I am supposed to get a 'better room' (and was told as such at check in) but here I arrive in a room that is not refurbished since 1980s - I am pretty sure this is not a better (than my booked deluxe king) room. Hilton Gold worth nothing in many UK hotels - I was told a couple times that all 'better rooms' are filled - but this is quite a deceiving tactics by this particular hotels reception staff - more on it later.

3. AC in the room doesn't work and staff / managements response to the issue is disastrous

All it blows out is hot air. The room is 25c on a hot summer night and the window (tower room) cannot open. And this is the start of a sequence that exposes the lack of management of this property.

I rang the customer service at 11:15 and reported the AC issue it was until half an hour and 3 chase-up calls later that a maintenance person comes to the room and declare it's beyond repair. By which time I am in shorts but will have to move rooms - so the maintenance guy suggests.

By the way the reception never picks up the call diverted by customer service. Every time need to get CS to 'chase up'.

Waiting in the room for another 20 minutes when nothing happened, I demanded to speak to a manager by the name of Anirudhh. He offered no apology and plainly told me to wait for a new room to be assigned. It took another 10 minutes to find out that he had found me a twin room where it's indeed apparent that I checked in with my wife for a king room. I also asked for some iced water to be delivered to room and it never came. You would think that if the management cared for a customer who was sweating at midnight hours some gesture of apology would be offered - zero.

After another 20 minutes of searching for a king room, I am assigned a higher floor tower room east facing - which the manager claims I will like it as it is better view than the previous room. It seems so but why wasn't it offer to the gold member upon check in?

The whole move of room ended with another 20 minutes of waiting for the concierge to help move my bags and I finally ended in a cool room by 1am (just under two hours). The guy was very nice and left the room after telling me if I need anything just dial zero - at which point I almost lost the will to live. What's the point of speaking to a very unprofessional staff / management and that is if they are willing to pick up the phone?

Will be checking out tomorrow and will never return to this particular Hilton.

Avoid this hotel at least until their claimed refurbishment is done - because if something is wrong with your room, you cannot count on their management to make up for it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Larry S
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review in Tripadvisor.

We would like to firstly apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we take it your comments very seriously.

Through your words, we noted that you are in-house, and we would like to discuss this matter further either personally or by phone.

Please contact the Assistant Operations Manager on duty by dialling the hotel number or the operator at Magic.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

PJ Kenny
Dir. of Operations
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in and will NEVER return.

Where do I start....
1. It took OVER 2 HOURS to check-in. I'm an HHonors gold member & will consider cancelling my Hilton membership after this.
2. Once I received the keycard it DIDN'T work, which meant yet more delay & AN ADDITIONAL 90 minute wait at reception (NEARLY 4hrs to CHECK IN???)! Don't get me started on the rude reception & security staff, Or the manager who thought by smiling & being obnoxious at 1am would make things alright? > how about apologising? My evening was completely MESSED UP, & missing a planned evening out with friends.
3. The paid for Executive room was atrociously sub-standard; dirty sheets, dirty carpet, degraded furnishings, flaky paint, dripping shower (all night), & a locked & filty balcony - see all the pictures & decide for yourselves!
4. Breakfast wasn't any better, this place is so busy you'll get better service & food at a local cafe.

Completely AVOID this hotel - Unless you want the worst stay of your life?

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank DrJools1
LONMECommsManager, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us.

We are very disappointed to note the contents and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience which may have been caused. What you have outlined does not reflect the service standards we have in Hilton hotels. Given that we had an isolated case of unforeseen system down at our property, which caused a lot of inconvenience during check-in, our staff have tried their very best to deliver high quality of customer service.

We would like to make it right for you and to assist with this, would you mind sending us some additional details? Please write to us on cbs.londonmet@hilton.com with:
a) Confirmation number
b) Date of arrival and departure
c) Name on reservation

Please reference this response on Tripadvisor so we will know that the email is connected to this. Once we have that information we can conduct an investigation and respond to you.

Once again, we appreciate the time you've taken to send this feedback. Our guest voice is important to us and we trust this shows that we are listening.

Plumley
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a twin roof for a company reunion which started at 6pm. Arrived at 13.00 told the computer is down come back at 15.00. Returned at 16.00 large queue in reception waited two hours to get to the front of the line and complete paper check in. Then the receptionist disappeared for half an hour and said we had to wait for keys we told him NO and he found keys but when we got to the room it was a double not a twin which we had booked. My friend went back to reception and was told they did not know what rooms had been allocated to come back at 22.30. She returned to be told still no rooms. Eventually at midnight we were given a twin room the air cond was useless and the room was next to the elevator mechanism we never slept all night. When I went to check out I was asked if I wanted my invoice by email I gave them a letter about my experience and said they should not send me any invoice rather give compensation for my experience I will never stay in this hotel again I am a Hilton Honors member but that counts for nothing

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank RClegg
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

We can confirm that what you’ve experienced is an isolated case. We had an unforeseen system down and we did our best to speed up the manual check-in process. Unfortunately, this created extreme difficulties and we are fully aware that this highly inconvenienced our guests which consequently resulted in a dissatisfactory stay at our hotel. We profusely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We can also confirm that this issue has now been resolved and we are back to our usual service operations. Please be assured that we have taken every possible step to prevent the same scenario from re-occurring.

We do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, this issue will not deter you from coming back to our hotel and we can reinstate your confidence with us by making your stay as pleasant as possible.

Winfield, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Upon arriving in London on a Globus tour, this is the first hotel where we stayed and I must say, it ruined my first impression. I can't even tell you what the lobby looked like because the dirty room and ugly neighborhood overshadowed my memory of it.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept a dirty room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on this website.

We are disappointed to learn that you were dissatisfied with your recent stay at the hotel due to bedroom cleanliness. Further details on this report could have helped us better to improve the cleaning standards of our bedrooms. Nevertheless, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. Your feedback has been escalated to our Executive Housekeeper for immediate consideration. We are equally saddened that you were not pleased with the hotel location. Most guests find the area vibrant and multi cultural with easy access to all public transport services.

We do hope that despite your discontent on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Perugia

GOOD MORNING,
we have been in this hotel one week ago, with our Family, the hotel is a wonderful and confortable site, the breakfast was very complete , all foods were very particolaries , all people that worked in hotel was kindly, nice, but trhee receptionist, mr. Brando, and two Misses Giulia and Giulia, were lovely and exceptionally.
The spa and swimming pool were Little but Perfect.
our room was clean and confortable , it was in a new part of the hotel, was King site de luxe on seven Floor .
Location was near the downtown , the underground station was in front of hotel.
we love this hotel in LONDON.
FAM. Angeli Guadalupi.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RaffiPerugia
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor.

We are greatly pleased that overall you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Your commendation about our team members: Brando and the two Guilia’s at reception will be recognised at our upcoming Team Members’ celebration. They will be glad that their efforts contributed to your pleasurable stay.

Thank you for staying at the Hilton London Metropole and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I gave it 2 stars because the staff tried their hardest in an almost impossible situation.

Gold star to my partner who whilst in London with her daughter phoned mi in advance to warn of problems. Credit to the staff who allowed her to check me in and made my wait minimal.

Credit to those left with hundreds of unhappy customers who did their best.

I was in a room in the Tower and it was old and tired and not worth the money. However it was bearable and I was there only one night.

The Doubletree at Westminster is better from the same stable. citizen M have it right.

Top marks to the man at the bar when we arrived after 11 who organised a plate of food for us. He laughed and made sure we were fed!! Good man.

The IT system was down for 3 days. I imagine there will be compensation for those waiting for hours to get in. Hilton needs to look at this quickly.

I for one won't be back!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SWilsonD
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, Hilton London Metropole. We greatly appreciate it and value each and every comment.

Unfortunately during your stay the hotel faced extreme difficulties due to our IT systems completely crashing. It was an event that could not have been predicted and we are fully aware that this highly inconvenienced guests such as yourself and sadly resulted in an unhappy stay at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Our staff were faced with a challenge and tried the hardest to provide our usual high standards. We thank you for the acknowledgment and recognition.
As stated previously, this event was unforeseen however we can ensure you that our hotel strives to provide excellent hospitality and customer service. If given another opportunity, we can demonstrate our excellent service and what sets Hilton apart from other brands.

Once again we would like to thank you for your comment.