“Very Disappointing - Poor Start to Stay”

Hilton London Metropole
Ranked #593 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I arrived in London from the States at 6:30 am on a Saturday. My visit to England was to assist my elderly in-laws following my father-in-law taking a bad fall and breaking his hip. I booked a room in London for the evening to be able to get a good night's rest and get on London time prior to going to my in-laws home on Sunday.

The front desk staff at the Hilton London Metropole were very attentive and allowed me to check into the room before noon. I was very appreciative. At first glance the room was nice and newly refurbished and best of all the air con was on and working wonderfully. I took a shower and then met up with family for the day followed by dinner and a show. When I arrived back to my room it was about midnight. Because the temperature was great - I was able to fall directly asleep. However, I woke up at 2:00 am to sound of water dripping. As I was walking to the bathroom to see if there was a drip I stepped on wet carpet - the drip was from the ceiling. Due to jet lag I was simply too tired to think of relocating to another room so I tried to sleep through it but could not.

So, I was exhausted when I checked out the next morning. When I explained the situation to the desk clerk she said "thank you for letting us know of the drip". Subsequently, I wrote to the hotel and their initial response was to offer me an upgraded room type and access to the executive lounge if I stayed at the hotel again. Ultimately, after my husband who is a Hilton Diamond member wrote in the front desk manager put some additional points on my Hilton Honors account. However, it seems to me that I paid good money just to take a shower so the points are not adequate compensation.

I would never stay at this property again and it is disappointing that this property does not honor Hilton's normal guarantee of 100% satisfaction.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank AngieatBamaOnTheRoad
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor, upon your last stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.
We noted you found our front desk staff helpful as they granted early check in due to availability.

On a different note, we apologize about the water dripping from the ceiling at midnight. Should this matter have been reported to our front desk and facilities team, we would have certainly provided you with a solution or alternative to the issue at that moment.

We are very sorry that you feel the compensation offered upon check out was not of your satisfaction. We strive to resolve the reported challenges on the spot. In this particular case, the matter was only reported at upon check out as you mentioned in your comment.

Rest assure your valuable feedback will be shared with our entire team, and we really hope that this sole experience does not prevent you from visiting us again the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

It is rare to find a chain hotel with such a genuinely warm and friendly welcome - especially when that hotel has over 1000 rooms and is in London. Its location is no longer particularly convenient for me but I keep coming back because I always feel comfortable and welcome there

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
LONMECommsManager, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a grand 5-star review of our hotel.

We are extremely delighted to hear that our most loyal guests keep on returning at the Hilton London Metropole mainly because of the hospitable service that our team members deliver. Along with several projects lined up to enhance our products and facilities, you can be certain that our service standards will only continue to improve.

Once again many thanks for your positive comments. We can’t wait to have you back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have stayed here about 4 times and have never been massively impressed, but this most recent visit shows that the hotel has taken even more of a downward turn. As mentioned in a previous review, it is STILL too hot and the ancient air con system has very little effect. There are no biscuits on the tea tray, not enough toiletries are provided and in other similarly priced hotels (£179 a night) slippers and dressing gowns are often provided, not so in this hotel. Other disappointments include very few UK channels on the TV, no ice machines and, in our room, a shower which did not stay in position so had to be hand held. For the money this is a really disappointing hotel which must be surviving on its loyalty program and which needs to buck its ideas up.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beeza1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for continuously providing us a review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is highly appreciated; please be assured that we are listening.

We apologise for the facilities-related issues you mentioned however we hope that you managed to report these matters while staying in house as we do have engineers on duty 24/7 who would have been able to resolve these for you swiftly. With regards to amenities such as slippers and bathrobes, these can be delivered upon request. Also, ice machines are located on bedroom floors. For your next visit, please use the one-touch dial button on your telephone to get in touch with our MAGIC team members who can provide you any essential information and amenities you need during your stay.

Once again thank you for comments. We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton London Metropole.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The reception staff was rude and sarcastic even to our children, the check-in was delayed because of workload of housecleaners, the glasses and cups were odourous & the plates were dirty! In check-out we were informed that they had already charged the credit card that we had used to book the rooms, while we had told them since our check-in that we would like to charge another credit card. They seemed very unwilling to do the change, eventhough it was their fault!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Eleni T

Dear Guest,

We are extremely sorry to hear your experience. Please be assured that this is not the usual high level of service we are accustomed to deliver for our guests.

Our Front of House Manager will be more than willing to get this right for you. Will you please allow us to do so by kindly sending us the following information via e-mail at cbs.londonmet@hilton.com.

a) Date of arrival and departure
b) Name on the booking
c) Confirmation number

Hopefully you will give us another chance. We look forward for your further correspondence.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner came to london to see eminem for her 21st birthday we arrived at the hilton pretty much exactly 3pm the time of check-in. Once arriving outside the hotel we could see a queue of people snaking round the whole lobby, we stood in this for 2 hours before near enough getting to the front when a concierge appeared telling us to fill out a form as the computer systems were down so basically stood in the queue for nothing, then she basically told us to get out and go for a walk with our cases and come back in another 2 hours, came back to another half an hour line to then have to stand at the desk for another 45 minutes for them to find my name basically they hadn't done a single thing with the form I filled in, we had to rush getting a shower and change of clothes to get to wembley once we came back our key card decided it no longer wanted to work. From 8am we had bangs on the doors from the cleaners I put the do not disturb sign out then at 9, 9:30 I had cleaners just let themselves into the room without a knock why they would do this when they have been told I'm not leaving until 12:00 is beyond me. When coming to check out I told the manager there is no way I'm paying the £130 for the bomb site of a room and she responded with "we have your card details so we will get payment either way" she was not interested in my complaint at all extremely rude and unprofessional. Once home I emailed the hilton head office with my complaint 2 weeks later I get a reply with you can have a free night stay anywhere but to me this does not compensate the hundreds of pounds I spent on coming to london and staying in this disaster of a hotel which completely ruined out trip needless to say I still haven't had a reply. Not what I would expect from a top chain hotel

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Andrew E
LONMECommsManager, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback and we must apologise once again for your negative experience at our hotel. Unfortunately on that particular weekend we had major problems with our computer systems and were unable to provide our usual high service standards. It was a very difficult time for guests as well as team members but we are now reviewing our procedures in the unlikely event of this happening again.

We hope you can accept the compensation offered and enjoy a stay at our hotel or another Hilton property.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We just completed a very enjoyable weekend stay at the Hilton Metropole. No wait checking in. Rudra was friendly, welcomed us and helped set us up in a nice room so that we could drop our bags. The positive aspects of the hotel -- it has many amenities, including a fitness facility, and bars and eating establishments. The staff is very helpful and offers assistance without being asked. The location is very good for accessing the Edgware Road Tube stop and just a couple of blocks from Paddington Station for a ride on the Heathrow Express, but the street doesn't have the same rough feel that some do directly around the station. It's only about a 15 minute walk to Hyde Park. Internet worked fine. The shower worked fine with good water pressure. The negatives are not really negatives, just observations - the hotel is big. Easy to get a bit lost the first time around the ground floor, but there are numerous elevators up to rooms and wait was never long for one. It's bustling with people. It is also older and our bathroom, while clean and serviceable, was a bit tired. Also, if you are used to a business or family-style hotel, you might be surprised that there was no refrigerator or ice bucket in the room. Still, it is very easy to get ice from the bar downstairs or grab a bite at one of the restaurants. Morning breakfast was a pretty extensive buffet. Over all, we had a good experience and we would definitely stay at the Metropole again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We would first like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it is very much appreciated.

We are extremely pleased that you were satisfied and most of all enjoyed your stay at the Hilton London Metropole. Our team members work incredibly hard to ensure that we provide excellent customer service and the best hospitality; we are glad Rudra provided you with a warm welcoming and friendly attitude.

We have had numerous positive reviews in regards to the location of the hotel and the amenities we provide. Our amenities such as the EDG bar, Sports bar and Executive Lounge provide atmospheres to suit each and every one of our guest and we our once again happy that these were noticed.

Our property is the largest Hilton in Europe. We do have over 1000 bedrooms and we can definitely be very busy at times. However, we do have numerous signages around the hotel public area for directions. Just to clarify, every bedroom is equipped with mini bar fridge and ice machines with buckets are located on bedroom floors.

Once again we would like to thank you for reviewing our hotel and we hope you have another fantastic stay at the Hilton London Metropole in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Situated in the busy part of Kensington and part of the Hilton chain.
This was a pre-night of a Group Travelling around the UK. Travelling as a single with 2 others, we were allotted our rooms – mine a very small twin and my friends was to be a twin – first mistake a double!. Said they had no other rooms available so we swapped. Front desk staff didn’t seem very interested in helping, especially when we had paid top dollar for this accommodation as it was the recommended pre-night stay before our tour started.
Maintenance in both rooms is needed. I received a scheduled wake-up call- my friends did not receive theirs. Bathrooms would have to be the smallest I have ever encountered in my many years of travelling.
This hotel, while their open space and public areas are large and modern, behind the scenes the accommodation is very dated.
No free wifi in rooms – Hilton need to do something about this.
Hard to recommend with the problems we had.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments in Tripadvisor following your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We would like to firstly apologize for any inconvenience caused due to the room allocation.We noticed you mentioned the staff was not helpful with this regards. We take your feedback very seriously and your comments will be shared with the concerned department for action.

Also, we can see from your review that there were some other inconsistencies which will be addressed to the team to avoid recurrence and improve the overall service.

We really hope this experience will not refrain you from visiting us again in the future, giving us the chance to provide you with a different, and more enjoyable stay.