“I know London is cramped, but this went a bit far!”

Hilton London Metropole
Ranked #582 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chester, United Kingdom
“I know London is cramped, but this went a bit far!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Girly weekend with my sister. Location was fine - near the tube station, but be aware of the busy traffic outside.

Was disappointed by the size of the room. If paid to upgrade and it was smaller than student halls! Two single beds you could just about get around and a desk and that's about it. Hmm.

Breakfast was lovely though. Lots of good food and great service. Very American, but that's not a slight at all.

Pool etc was fine. Nice and quiet - at least until we got there!

Overall: ok, if you don't mind paying through the nose for a teeny tiny space.

• Stayed December 2013
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review upon your last stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We are sorry to hear that the size of the room was not satisfying. We do have several categories to provide all of our guests with alternatives that suit their needs.

On the other hand, we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed breakfast, the variety and the service.

We appreciate you for your feedback and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St Austell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here a couple of times and on both occasions it's been a positive experience. Rooms are good (satyed in Exec room - excellent and Deluxe room - smaller, but better view), clean, comfortable and reasonable quiet (given the location).
Check-in and out was busy on both accasions. Not the staff's fault - all the desks are open and they were being as efficient as pssible. Seemed like every guest was making a special request of trying to renegotiate the rate.
Also breakfast was chaos. I think they get a lot of tour parties, who all want to eat at the same time and there's not enough capacity. I often saw queue's of people at 8am. My suggestion is to get in early.
Location is great - 5 minute walk from Paddington, Edgeware Road station is 2 minutes away, so easy to get around. Plenty of restaturants nearby for dinner. Walk south on Edgeware Road for a wide selection of Lebanese restaurants and cafes

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments upon your last visit at London Hilton Metropole hotel.
We are extremely glad to know from your feedback that you enjoyed the room allocated and the efficient check in process.
On the other hand we apologize for the queues at breakfast time, we always suggest to our guests to avoid peak hours between 8.30 am and 9.30 am.
Our location is privileged, close to all the main attractions and major means of transport.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Check-in/Check-out - I had a reservation voucher and the receptionist didn't even know how this works and he asked me how did I get it. Room location/type - I can't believe we requested a double bed and I got 2 twin bed, so I couldn't sleep with my partner and the location of the room was terrible. Opposite a wall. Noise (outside/hallway noise/construction/etc) - the fridge was so noise that I had to disconnected the plug as if not I wouldn't be able to sleep Hotel amenities (pool/hot tub/fitness room/laundry/etc) - was the worst experience ever, full of people and it should be a cap, you can't put 20 people in a pool of 10, also terrible experience with some Arabs looking my lady and one of them seemed using a phone to take a video or something, when I realized I looked at him and went close to him and it stop

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Luigi L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review upon your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.
Firstly, we are sorry to hear that the check in/ checkout was not smooth and that as you mentioned in your comment, you experienced was not satisfactory. Rest assure, we have conveyed your feedback to the relevant department for review and re-training.

Also, we noted that the room allocation was not what was expected, as well as the noisy fridge comments.
We take your feedback seriously and it will be shared with the entire team for improvement of quality and overall service. We strive to provide an enjoyable experience and noted that we have shortfalls to take care of. Action will be taken and monitored.

Once again, we do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope this sole experience which does not reflect our high standards will not refrain you from visiting us again in the future.

Russell
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I made reservations through Hotwire. At the front desk they said I had two twin beds seperated. I told them I asked for a double bed. They said I needed to pay 20 pounds a day (5 days) in order to get a room with a double bed. I argued and finally got what I had paid for. I heard the same story being told on both sides. They're out to milk customers. Watch it. Cleaning service left a towel on bed twice after fixing the room. What air conditionner? On all night, noisy. Exit service was really slow. 25 minutes is unacceptable. Room was quiet.

Room Tip: Better if you get a room with no view. It's more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
LONMECommsManager, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are very disappointed to learn that you and your partner didn’t have an enjoyable stay. Please be assured that we are highly committed on providing the room type that guests have booked. However, guest requests such as twin/king bed, high floor, etc are subject to availability. If necessary, guests are also offered to upgrade the booked room type to another category at a minimum rate difference. This is a usual check in procedure that it is not only practised in our hotel but also at other Hilton properties. It has been noted that the requested double bed was provided in the end but of course with delay. Please accept our apologies for the wait as it may have been fully booked at the time you stayed in.

Your comment on housekeeping cleaning service has been brought to the attention of the Executive Housekeeper for immediate action. In relation to noise ventilation, we hope that you reported this to the team who would have dealt with the situation to your satisfaction, swiftly. For future reference, we do offer express check out. This cut out the hassle of being in a queue for check out.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back at the Hilton London Metropole so we can restore your faith in us.

Evesham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Upon arrival the queue for check in was ridiculously long. We waited around half an hour only do be told that we needed to fill in a card first and the queue there was just to collect room keys! We filled in the card and then were told that our room wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready for around 3 hours (it was around 3.30pm at this stage) due to computer issues. The staff were trying their best but we couldn't wait as we were in London for the Eminem gig so had to get ready in the toilet by the bar so we could go out. When we got back we had to wait for another 10-15 minutes because they couldn't find our key. When we finally did get in the room it wasn't the usual standard and was very dated, tired and a bit grubby. At checkout the next day I was told I needed to pay and I explained that I had already paid for the room through Expedia and that no payment was required. He said there was and gave me a receipt in which I had been charged an additional £160 (apparently the standard price for the room - not worth it!). I complained and got a refund for the overcharge plus they said they wouldn't charge us for parking. I complained via email because the whole stay was a nightmare and didn't get a response, I chased and got a response asking for details followed up by a standard sorry email.

I understand computer issues caused some of the issues but late check in, tired rooms, £160 overcharge and no reply to emails is not what I would expect for the price of the room! The only plus side of this hotel is the location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

As responded previously, we had an unforeseen system failure back in July. Although we did our best to facilitate a smooth manual check in process, it appeared to be very challenging as we were trading on high occupancy for those couple of days. We understand that this caused a lot of inconvenienced to our guests. Please accept our sincere apologies. We would like to assure you that what you have experienced is not the usual high level of service standards we are accustomed to deliver.

It is concerning that you mentioned no one responded to your e-mail. We would like to investigate further and to do that we require further information from you. Kindly send us the following details through cbs.londonmet@hilton.com:
a) Date of arrival and departure
b) Name on the booking
c) Confirmation number

Hopefully you will give us a chance to make this right for you. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Bungay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my young daughter,my sister and her twin girls.on arrival the reception were very helpful and as we were early they would hold our baggage for us until we could check in from 3pm. We returned at 3.30 and the room wasn't quite ready, the lady was very apologetic and we waited a further 20mins which was no bother as we went for a drink in the bar and the helpful staff gave the children free crisps! We wondered what our room would be like with 5 of us in there! To our amazement it was huge!! Two double beds and a double sofa bed! Two TV's a desk area and good size bathroom! Brilliant for our needs! Breakfast was also good, huge variety which suited us all, no complaints from us! We did receive a bill saying we had purchased a film in room but we hadn't and when we queried at reception they very were very helpful and retracted this. Would stay here again, closed to tube and attractions we needed.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lorni35
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant 4-star review.

We are delighted that you and your family had thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay. We are passionate on delivering exceptional guest experiences and it is rewarding to learn that our reception team greatly achieved that.

Most of our guests who are travelling in four or more in a group usually find our family rooms well suitable to their requirements. We are glad that it worked well for you. We are equally pleased that you were satisfied with the famous Hilton breakfast. Indeed the variety of buffet offering is endless.

Once again many thanks for your kind comments. We cannot wait to have you and your family back soon.

The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for a weekend with 2 friends. Arrived by myself early on Friday afternoon. Couldn't check in because the system was down. Left my luggage and came back at 5pm. Very long lines and when I wanted to register, it turned out I couldn't because the reservation was in my friends name.
Although my name was also registered at the time of registration, they could only give a room key to the person who was going to pay...
Got a courtesy drink, but still had to wait 2,5 hours for my friends to arrive before we got a room.
First we got a room with 1 bed (doesn't fit 3 persons), but when we got back from dinner we had a nice room with two double beds. Not enough towels for 3 though.
The room was very nicely decorated, spacious and had great beds.
The rest of the weekend was uneventful (hotelwise) and the service was good.
The hotel is very big, so you might have to walk quite far to the reception area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate your review on Tripadvisor.

Firstly we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding at the time we had an unforeseen system failure back in July. We understand that this caused a lot of inconvenience to our guests and our team members worked at their best to deliver the best possible service standards. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay at check in.

We are pleased that the room condition was up to your expectations. The usual set up of amenities in every bedroom is for double occupancy but just one call to our MAGIC team members and we can swiftly deliver additional items.

Thank you for staying at the Hilton London Metropole and we hope to have you and friends back soon.