“Disaster at the Hilton”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Disaster at the Hilton”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I arrived at the Hilton at 3pm on the 10th July looking forward to relaxing before a special event that evening I was greeted by pandemonium, a long queue at the check in, people spending at least 5 mins when they got to reception. Hilton managed to turn a crisis into a disaster, By being assertive I managed by to get into a my room at 5.30 for some people it was much later that evening. You expect brands like Hilton to have managers who can cope with system failures and put in back up procedures, utter shambles.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank DavidC1956
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback upon your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We would like to firstly apologize for the waiting time in the Reception. On the mentioned date we experienced a system down issue and even though all the staff tried their best, this matter was an unforeseen event.

This was a sole occasion and certainly not the service we are accustomed to offer our guests and we are deeply sorry that this prevented you from enjoying your stay with us.

We really hope that this experience will not refrain you from visiting us again. Your valuable comments have been noted and will be discussed for further action to be implemented in future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Second time at the Hilton London Metropole and second major disappointment. There probably won't be a third time. Location is convenient for transportation but average in absolute terms. The hotel in itself is like the hypermarket of hotels (so many rooms), but an old, outdated one. The experience was just bad. Sorry Hilton.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Voyageur3012
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review in Tripadvisor.

Firstly, we are truly sorry that the second experience in our hotel was not of your satisfaction and would like you to provide us with a chance to investigate the matter further.

Please send us the following details through cbs.londonmet@hilton.com:

a) Date of arrival and departure
b) Name on the booking
c) Confirmation number

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I had read negative reviews before I left, and foolishly believed that since I was a Hilton Honors Gold member, none of the complaints would effect me. I was wrong. The rooms were on par with a beat up Best Western. I got an upgrade and it was still disappointing. ZERO storage in the bathroom to unpack. Missing tiles, etc. Chipped old furniture in the bedroom and very few drawers and minimal closet space. Only room for one person to truly unpack. I also wasn't informed that my son couldn't join me on the executive floor after 5 o'clock, which was very inconvenient. The indoor pool was the only upside. We used it every day. It wasn't a resort experience there, but a place for my son to burn off some energy. I didn't expect U.S. level accommodations in London. I know the difference. But I really thought a deluxe room would be at least nice. I thought my Gold status would matter when it was time to make valid complaints, but they told me I'd have to pay for a better room. I felt I already paid plenty. I met another HH Gold Member on a tour and he told me that he transferred out of this hotel and went to the property near Victoria Station. Much nicer he claimed but no pool. He made a valid point when he said that Hilton was losing the standards of Conrad Hilton and that he was shifting his business over to Marriott because of it. Something to think about.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review upon your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We understand and appreciate your feedback with regards the room condition, we are disappointed to hear it was not of your satisfaction. Because we do listen to our guest’s needs, currently we are renovating rooms in the hotel, to provide our guests in the near future with better accommodation options.

Also, we noted your comments with regards to the Executive Lounge policy. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused and if you were not made aware of this matter at the check in time, but children under 16 are not allowed in the Lounge after 5pm due to alcohol being served in those premises.

Your valued feedback will be shared with the entire team, and we really hope that this experience will not prevent you from visiting us again in the future.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights in an executive deluxe twin room. An underwhelming experience really;. tired decor, small room, scruffy bathroom and so on. Reception staff not very welcoming or friendly and certainly not especially helpful. The rooms was lacking in the comforts one might expect - the towels and loo roll very rough, At these prices they might assume that guests are accustomed to a better standard of comfort. i had to request the 'complimentary mineral water twice and it never appeared the next day. In the corridors, the wall coverings were peeling away. There are many better hotels at much lower rates. It seems incredible that Hilton is willing to undermine its own brand name with such poor quality. As for the overpriced breakfast; the coffee was almost cold, the hot buffet was anything but hot and it lacked fish options. It was very limited for vegetarians - there were no mushrooms on offer, for example. In addition, car parking charges were very high - no concessions for residents. One of the main restaurants was closed and we had not been forewarned of this. The 'Sports Bar had rap music on most of the screens, even though there was plenty of live sport at the time. I Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
1 Thank Greer O
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review upon your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We appreciate your comments with regards the room condition, we would like to inform you that currently we are in the process of refurbishing rooms, after a multimillion lobby transformation increasing the floor space by 60 per cent, two brand new food and beverage outlets and 11 renovated meeting rooms.

Also, we noted your feedback with regards to helpfulness of the reception staff and this will be reviewed by the concerned department for improvement. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused.

With regards to the cost of breakfast and car parking, please note that the prices are competitive for the central London location.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you will give is the chance to welcome you back in the near future for an improved experience.

Hudson, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stay at this hotel as our first stop in our European trip with our kids (2 adults 2 kids). I used my points for the Deluxe Queen Family Room, even though the beds were queen the room left no much room to move around. I am a Platinum member and did not get an upgrade until the next morning that I asked (this should be offered at registration).
The hotel is old and outdated and the neighborhood not what you expect for being in London, it felt more like Middle East Central. Although it was fine to walk around it just didn't feel like being in London. Next time might choose a different Hilton. Sorry just not impressed.
The breakfast buffet was very good, but again we got seated all the way in the corner in some booth that had a fabric that must have not been clean in 10+ years it was yucky, and took my appetite away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review in Tripadvisor upon your stay at London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We noted from your comments that you were not granted an upgraded room upon check in or the next days as you state you were promised. Please note that Gold and Diamond guests’ upgrade depends on availability upon check in. Your experience will be shared with the Reception team.

Also, we could learn from your feedback that you did not enjoy the location and we are sorry about this since we are strategically positioned in central London, close to major attractions. We embrace the different cultures on the surrounding areas that offer alternative cuisines and entertainment and in general our guests are very happy with the different options available.

On a different note, we are glad that you were satisfied with the breakfast service. We would like to inform you that currently Fiamma restaurant, where breakfast is served every morning, is being renovated to offer a newly fresh atmosphere to all of our guests.

We hope this experience does not prevent you from visiting us again in the near future, we would be delighted to welcome you back soon.

Khartoum, Sudan
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I had a great stay at the Hilton London Metropole. Upon checking in I was given a warm welcome and upgraded to a suite which was very roomy, comfortable and came with great amenities. The suite had some very nice built-in facilities, good desk and work area, comfortable bed and luxurious shower/bath set-up. The hotel team is great and responds quite promptly. The guest services team was wonderful and very committed to ensuring that my stay was enjoyable. The hotel's location is key as it is very central and allows quick accessibility to key locales in the West End of London and near Paddington train station. The hotel itself is very large and lively and the concierge is also quite helpful. I did have some issues with wifi connectivity but they were resolved within a reasonable amount of time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review in Tripadvisor upon your check out from London Hilton Metropole hotel.

We are delighted to learn that the warm check in, room and amenities as well as the hotel’s location were of your satisfaction.

Your great feedback will be shared with the entire team that work really hard to make this possible.

We are looking forward to your next visit very soon!

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We decided that this year we'd do a family trip to London and after looking for somewhere appropriate for the four of us (two children 8 and 10) the Hilton Summer Sale seemed a bargain, a higher standard than we'd usually choose, an excellent location. So we treated ourselves.

On check in we got a manager, who informed me our rate did not include breakfast. Something the booking site failed to make clear at all. No sign that the "Summer Sale" was a discounted "Room Only" booking and not as I believed a discounted normal bed and breakfast booking.

The manager then tried to up-sell me to a suite. He was confusing and pushy. He talked about £100 more and didn't clarify when I repeatedly asked if that was per-night or over the stay. He explained that the money we'd spend on breakfast, plus perks such as wifi and happy hour drinks for the kids would soon make that back. Then showed us a suite that was £190 a night more than the room we'd booked. Almost double.

With only one queen sized bed and a promise beds could be moved in for the Children.

We decided to stick with the Superior Family Room we booked. This only had one out of two promised TVs, was right by the lift (noisy) and the beds were creaky beyond belief. Bad nights sleep for three nights.

We were also not given directions to our room, which turned out to be in the West Wing. Which was right at the back of the hotel and it took us three tries to find the room.

I'd never stay here again.

1 Thank Michael J
AssistOpsMgrNataliaR, Manager at Hilton London Metropole, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review in Tripadvisor upon visiting London Hilton Metropole hotel.

Please note that The Summer Sale promotion offered both: Room Only and BB rates. The option was available for all guests to book.

We kindly invite you to provide further information in order to investigate the matter for you. Please send us the following details through cbs.londonmet@hilton.com:

a) Date of arrival and departure
b) Name on the booking
c) Confirmation number

Hopefully you will give us a chance to make this right for you. We look forward to hearing more from you.