DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Marble Arch
Ranked #418 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My best friend and I were to meet up in London for a girls weekend. She arrived before me, so when I got there we just headed straight to the room. Upon calling the night, we noticed that there was too much street noise, then suddenly the room smelled of cigarette smoke. I woke up only to find the window slightly open. I tried to close it, but found out quickly it was loose. We called the reception and first they claimed that only one person was to stay, not two. After a lot of back and forth, we finally got a new room. We changed rooms in the middle of the night and did not notice until the next day that we had left our bottle of wine in the mini fridge. I called the reception and they told us how thorough they are about cleaning the room, so no wine was reported found. I could not believe that the housekeeping STOLE my wine. It just made me so unconfutable staying there and leaving my suitcase in the room. The only good thing about the hotel is the friendly concierge: Michael and the short distance to Oxford Street. But there are other hotels nearby, so don’t waste your money on this one.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
aristel7, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

I am so sorry to hear about your recent experience of the Hotel!

Please do contact me by email so that I can attempt to recover this for you, its the least we can do!

Once again please accept my apologies in the first instance.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Marble Arch

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed 5 nights. Standard and Queen rooms are small compared to Australia. We stayed in a king room but when we first arrived we were given a queen room and only realised when we checked our booking that they put us in the wrong room. Bathrooms very small, showers tricky and spray all over the floor not suitable for a large person. Position fantastic with an English pup within 30 mtrs plenty restaurants within 200 mtrs, plenty of small super market around, tube is 200 mtrs. Great shopping starts at 100mtrs and seems to go forever. If you like walking you can easily walk to Buckingham Palace, London Eye and other sites in the area. Very friendly staff and helpful when things go wrong.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your views we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
A big thank you from us all and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at Double Tree the night before flying out of Heathrow Airport. The hotel was very nice, the rooms were clean and comfortable and had all necessary amenities. The location was very convenient being located so close to Marble Arch, it was very easy to get around. The cost however was very very high, I would look for a less expensive hotel when staying in London again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cfarley1

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great review! was lovely for us to see.

Our prices to fluctuate so please don't rule us out in the future. we always try to be competitive.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stay in DoubleTree hotels quite often when I travel – especially in London. I’ve reviewed several others in London with very favorable results. However, my recent stay at the Marble Arch hotel left me a bit underwhelmed and frustrated. I would highly recommend other Doubletrees in London but will not likely stay here again.

Pros:
- The rooms are nice and well finished
- The bathroom is very good size with a nice shower

Cons:
- The rooms are tiny and have way to much furniture in them. Also, the desk chairs are way too big for the space. This room size is not atypical in London. However, if you have small rooms you need to make sure the furniture is not made for a normal sized room.
- The rooms are very noisy. The windows are not double glazed and you hear a lot of noise from the street.
- The gym is under construction. The note on the door states it should be open at the end of April. However I was here in mid-May and it is not close to being finished. So if a gym is important I would call ahead to be sure it’s available.
- WiFi in rooms in not free yet it is in most Doubletree Hotels in London. Why? Also, be sure to see my tips on how to get free WiFi in this hotel.
- The Air Con/Heater unit is very difficult to work. Any time I tried to adjust the temp or fan speed it just turned off. So, from day two I just left is as is and it stayed on the whole time. Weird.
- There is VERY little storage space. Actually I had a deluxe room and I’m not sure how two people could have stored their clothes. I was alone for a 3 day stay and still had to store some things in my suitcase.

Room Tip: Tip: WiFi is not free in the rooms but it is in the Lobby, bar and restaurant area. However it is a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TexasmanBrussels

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you had such a mixed range of inconsistencies during your stay that cearly did not meet your expectations.

I would be most grateful if you could contact me separately so that I can discuss this in more detail.

... small rooms, though.
Nice receptionists, good food but small restaurant area due to refurbishing - and an impolite waiter affected my overall impression of the hotell. Excellent localisation next to Oxford Street.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was a test stay for me to see if it would be suitable for business travelers in my company. I would describe it as a "fine" stay. The WiFi just didn't work in the rooms, so if you're traveling for business, this is not the place to go. The inside of the the hotel, from lobby to corridors to the rooms, seemed dark, even with all the lights on, it seemed very dimly lit. The best part of the stay is the bathroom. 5 stars for that, brand new and laid out well. My room faced Portman Street and I had a slight view of Portman Square. The street noise kept me awake all through the night, even with ear plugs. I had to turn the TV on to drown the street noise (I've stayed at a hotel the next corner down facing the same street and not had a problem with street noise at night). I paid for a rate that included the first night's dinner and breakfast both mornings. I had an issue with the restaurant reconciling this, eventually they got it right, but it was a little bothersome to have to worry about. Upon check out, there was an issue settling my bill and the clerk charged my card twice, then voided one. It turned out fine on my statement, but delayed my departure to the airport. All in all it's fine, but it would not be my first choice upon staying in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

That's a real shame that we didn't quite live up to your expectations, please accept my sincerest apologies..

You are quite right to point out that small niggles when you are traveling are an inconvenienced.

The FO Manager and her team are looking into this matter now so thank you so much for bringing this matter to our attention.

I would be delighted to discuss your colleagues requirements in more detail to understand your needs better.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This property is clean and modern and made for a very comfortable four day stay. The rooms are a bit compact - to be expected for London - but stylishly decorated, and the bathroom is newly updated and spotless. The breakfast was standard, even if the service was a bit slow. I had one dinner at Indigo and the food was really good.

This hotel's best asset is its location, just a block off of Oxford street and some of its best shopping. Its really easily accessible for public transportation and there are plenty of places to eat in the area. I'd certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: I had a room on the top floor and it appeared to have less street noise. A colleague had a basement...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business