“Disgusting basement room”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Marble Arch
Ranked #478 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked a room a couple of weeks before arrival together with a party of 11 lady friends all with daughters, visiting London as a graduation present. Upon arrival i was allocated a basement room for the 1st night which felt more like a prison room right out of a scene from 'The Count of Monte Christo' than a hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
aristel7, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Marble Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear RitaH,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond with your review....I am sorry that you did not enjoy the lower ground level room.

I would suggest that if you are visiting London again in the future please allow me to take care of your reservation for you and make it a bit extra special this time...

Once again though thank you for taking the time to advise us...

James

Write a ReviewReviews (1,626)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel last october, facilities and food okay.

But was very disappointed. I had to change rooms due to renovation noise at one of the wings and forgot a couple of my personal stuff. They never found my stuff!

Room Tip: none at the time
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Yetunde O

Dear Yatunde O,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review....

I am sorry that there were some annoyances during your stay, If you would like to email me I am sure that I can try and recover your missing items! I am sorry that it was not found while you where at the Hotel.

Once again thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here with wife and 6 year old and had a family room on the second floor.

We paid about £200 for one Saturday night which isn't cheap but London hotels aren't and paying less in my experience in London can often mean a major drop in standards. The hotel itself is right off of Oxford Street. We were coming in from Oxford so 5 minutes from getting off the bus at Marble Arch and we're in Reception. The welcome was polite and efficient; the hotel doesn't look as grand from the outside as some others close by but once inside it's well presented and clean. Once checked in we were straight upstairs to the room which was large; one double and one single bed and plenty of room. The bathroom while smallish was well presented and a good standard.

We spent the day out and got back to the room for some R&R before going back out again. I snoozed while the family watched some TV. Once ready to go out we struggled to find a free cab but the Concierge was ready and willing to help; standing our in the middle of the main road to flag the first opportunity down. I could have done that but was grateful he was willing to do that for me.

After our night out we retired to the room. We had a good night's sleep in what turned out to be a very comfortable environment. We didn't have breakfast at the adjoining restaurant as we had lunch plans but the coffee shop opposite hit the spot with coffees for the olds and a chocolate muffin the for the little one. We left our bags and took the very short walk onto Oxford Street for some shopping (remember most places don't open until midday on Oxford Street so no excuse for missing a lazy morning). After that we walked back past the hotel for our lunch date at the Grazing Goat around the corner. That's the next review!

Overall, I would have liked to have spent a little less but cannot complain about the welcome and the quality of the stay given the comfort and the brilliant location. Worth a try!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate it very much.

I am so pleased that you seemed to have such a great stay with your family and got to enjoy the City too...

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Came off a cruise to revisit London.The hotel is in a great central location.Reminded me of a stay in NYC at the Shoreham , classic revamp of an older building , modern appearance , small rooms and small elevator cabin - which was sometimes an issue and causes one to have to wait one or two pass by before being able to get on.
Room pleasant and we were given what we had asked for a location away from the terribly noisy street, we had peace and quiet.
Room well appointed and clean , bed comfortable.First day the housekeeping staff person was "in training" guess she was still trying to manage her time when we returned from an outing , wanting to rest up for the evening ,around 5pm room had not been made up.
An invitation, on the desk , for tea and biscuits and finger sandwiches late afternoon was warm but failed to indicate that there was a charge of 19.5 pounds ( about 35:00$ US ) per person, of course no one took advantage of this offer during our stay.
Hotel in a great location , central to everything , shopping, sites and parks ,and this either by foot or access to tube or bus tours.
It started to rain but were not offered an umbrella , but received one by request -- small thing but important.
Staff in general reflected the face of today's London came from many other countries .
All in all a good experience in a great city.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor away from street
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jacky B

Dear JackieB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate it very much.

I am sorry that there were some annoyances during your stay however I am glad that overall you had a good experience of our Hotel during your London stay.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed one night in the Doubletree near Marble Arch: upside, excellent location. Downsides: no lift operating to the lower ground floor so luggage had to be manhandled down a narrow staircase. There's a flight of stairs up to the entrance as well. The carpet in the hallway on the lower ground was covered in plastic to protect it from upgrading work and there was a very strong smell of adhesive - admittedly it had dissipated significantly after three hours or so - but there was no apology. The room I was given was a decent size, clean and comfortable. However most of the Freeview TV channels didn't work. As I was there overnight on business - leaving at 7.15 am - I didn't have breakfast. I'd say if you can get a decent room at a decent price it's worth a shot - provided your luggage isn't too heavy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mariane-K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we really appreciate it...

Yes we are doing some refurbishment but I am sorry that it impacted on your stay please accept my sincerest appologies.

I would like to suggest that when you are coiming back to London please drop me an email so that I can have the opportunity to take care of your reservation for you and make t extra special as you had a few issues this time.

In the meantime please accept my sincerest appologies.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

On arrival I was informed that we were getting upgraded. We were very thankfull of this but after staying in the room I dont know how this was an upgrade? We were moved downstairs to the Trafalgar room which was next door to a building site, this effected asthma, all the carpets were covered with a protecte and as much as the room was very pleasent I cant understnd how this was an updgrage as the room was very small and had no extra amenities that an upgrade implies eg house coat, slippers, larger room etc. Would appreciate if this could be explained.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Nice and small hotel with great location. The rooms were clean and the service excellent. We were a group of ten people and we all had teh same impression of the hotel. The only negative is that theres is only one elevator and no stairs whick results in much waiting.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Carina L

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we appreciate it very much.

I am sorry that there were some annoyances about the lift during your stay however I am glad that overall you had a good experience of our Hotel!

We hope to see you agin in the future....