“Shabby and Expensive” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #516 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Shabby and Expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Front desk really friendly but the rest was sadly very disappointing. Internet frustrating with new codes required every 200mb's and connection slow. Stains on bedroom carpet. Tiny bathroom. No breakfast before 7am despite all being put out well before that. Grumpy dining room staff. No lift for luggage. Expensive for what you get. Noisy corridors!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Our internet within the hotel is complimentary throughout which is not the case with most of our competitors in the area. We have a control system in place in that you are required to have a new voucher issued every 24 hours as it’s a closed Wi-Fi signal to enhance security.

Please accept my apologies if there was any marks on your carpet - this is unacceptable and something I will further investigate.

Our published breakfast opening hours is from 7am but, I apologise if my breakfast staff came across unhelpful at this stage.

We are a 4 star boutique hotel in the heart of Bloomsbury and I believe our prices to be in line with other similar properties. As we are also a listed grade 2 building, we are unable to have lifts within the hotel adding the charm and character. A porter should however have been available to take your luggage up to your room and also explain all your room amenities during this stage.

Thank you once again for your stay.

Andrew van Eeden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

My mother and father booked an afternoon tea at this hotel as an anniversary treat for my wife and I. On arrival hotel seems very nice clean simple modern allthough a little tired. Shown to garden( if u can call it that) several rusty and very dirty wrought iron tables covered in bird mess with stained and very faded cushions then food arrived what a joke 4 tiny finger sandwiches each ( obv made in morning and sat around as dry and crispy) full of the cheapest quality fillings and no flavour 2 shop bought scones each and runny clotted cream. Having looked at prices gobsmacked at the overall poor quality of both the location for the tea and the content .

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Baldydave

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Our afternoon tea offer is based on a standard 4 finger sandwiches per person with various fresh fillings, cakes and petit fours. There is also a selection of two scones each, one plain and one fruit filling with clotted cream and strawberry jam. The afternoon tea is then rounded off with a glass of sparkling wine each for the price which I will not publish at this time is exceptionally good value for money.

Please accept my apologies if the sandwiches were slightly dry and I am sorry if you did not find our courtyard to your expectation.

Andrew van Eeden

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

As we pulled up in the cab, my wife noticed the flowers in the flower boxes were dead. No bell hop came out to great us at the curb. Then after check in they took us to the wrong room (up numerous flights of stairs) only to go back to one of the lower floors. Junior suite was spacious and decorated well if a bit faded. However, the room was stuffy and the window penned on to the street with a busy bus route. The nepresso coffee maker was a nice touch but there was only one capsule in the room. We walked down to see the garden (which is okay). But, walked past a common area that had not been cleaned up a couple of hours after tea. Toilet paper was on the last few pulls and there was no extra roll in the room. Bed was hard as a rock but good sized. So after tossing and turning all night, my wife got up early to take a shower. When she went to dry her hair the dryer shorted out burned her hand and blacked out the room. Went down to complain and found a single kid working the desk who managed to get the power back on. We were supposed to stay 3 days but decided to check out after this. They wanted to charge me for a second day and when I pushed back, the woman kept going back to the office (steps away) to talk with the manager. Each time she came back she made another offer... Upgrade to a luxury suite, etc. Not once in this 15 minute back and forth did the manager get off his butt and come to apologize or see if my wife was okay. I do not write negative reviews as a rule, but this hotel did everything poorly.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Frank B

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

As discussed during our direct e-mail communication, I firmly believe that you experienced an isolated incident which then escalated leaving you frustrated with the aftermath.

We have an exceptionally low turnover of staff making it a comfortable environment to work in which is sensed by our regular guests and other transient travellers. Other reviews and feedback will quantify the support towards our professional and friendly service which I hope you will experience during your next stay with us.

Northwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed for a three-day break at the height of the Tube Strike, so location was important. Easy walking distance from Euston station, and British Museum just round the corner. Were able to walk to Covent Garden, Leicester Square and Soho in about 20 minutes. Room was on the ground floor, spacious, with good sized bathroom. The hotel has great character; late night tea in the Conservatory or in the garden on a lovely spring afternoon are recommended. Staff are all friendly, but not intrusive, providing a professional service at all times. The breakfast contained a good selection of both continental and full English, and was served in a spacious and modern restaurant area. Overall I would recommend this hotel for a stay in London.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

It is indeed all about location but, the little extras makes us stand out from the crowd!

Hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have stayed here a number of times and liked it. Great position - easy access to Oxford Street, British Museum and a nice part of town with the great Bloomsbury atmosphere. It's a traditional Town House with lots of stairs and no lifts but a porter to assist with luggage. There is a lovely garden area and a pleasant conservatory. Previously, I have had a double room,great size, good bathroom and excellent bed. I brought my daughter and we had a twin room. Not so good. Room size fine, awful scaffolding immediately outside our window - they never said anything by way of an apology on this. Bathroom was actually the worst I have experienced in London and I visit weekly on business. The shower was crammed in, cracked tiles, and grubby. We felt rather put off by it and did not want to use it.Lack of plugs next to a mirror for hair drying, curtain hook off at window, no towel replaced...it made me sad actually as I like it and felt it had let itself down. I wasn't asked if I had enjoyed my stay as we paid, so this is the way the hotel will hear. The double bed rooms have been so nice, my two days there with my daughter were quite different.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ohmigod

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

It was good to see that you decided to return for another stay but, I am was disappointed to read that we did not make the same impression. As mentioned in your review, we are indeed a Georgian townhouse building which has been converted into hotel bedrooms giving the property that extra charm and character.
With regards to some of your room comments - the scaffolding outside was actually part of some renovation works carried out to enhance our product which is something that I hope you can see during your next visit. We have an ongoing maintenance programme to ensure the upkeep of the hotel and also further capital investments annually to ensure the product is kept to a high standard.

I am sorry we did not maintain the high standards as experienced during your initial stay but, I do hope you will give us another try when in Bloomsbury so to regain your faith in our service and product.

Stbo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed here recently on a trip to London. Cracking location for getting around the West end and to and fro Euston/Kings Cross. Had breakfast in the hotel where staff were very nice, otherwise Hotel seemed a bit soulless and no real focal point.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BillyHamilton
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to review our property.

I am glad you found the property suitable for your stay and yes the location is fantastic!

Essex UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Had afternoon tea here yesterday with my husband as part of my birthday trip to London. I booked using a Travelzoo offer which seemed a good deal.
The hotel is well located, a short walk from Tottenham Court Rd station. However, the welcome on arrival was rather lack lustre which sadly set the tone.
We were given the choice to take tea in the garden (probably the nicest option on a warmer day), an adjacent lounge or the restaurant downstairs. As the lounge was a little worn and tired we opted for the restaurant.
We were asked what tea or coffee we would like and this appeared promptly, followed shortly after by a selection of finger sandwiches (egg, cheese & tomato, ham & mustard and smoked salmon & cream cheese), plain & fruit scones with jam and clotted cream and also some petit fours. The included glass of prosecco was also brought out but it was not chilled and tasted slightly flat. I would have returned it but thought that as they obviously had not got any already chilled it would take too long to chill to a satisfactory temperature.
Our tea was replenished on request and the food, especially the scones, was nice.
Our offer included strawberries and cream which we assumed would come out after we had finished the main food and so we waited for the waiter to reappear. Eventually, he returned and asked if we enjoyed our cream tea and we said yes but what about the strawberries and cream to which he replied that it was not included in the offer.
Now my husband is a retired Trading Standards Officer and is a bit picky about these things and as his wife of many years I have learned to print off a copy of any offer we may have booked just in case we need to present it. Therefore, I showed the waiter the offer and he went off to get the manager who came and apologised and said that unfortunately they had not had their delivery of strawberries that morning and if we would like them he would go out and get some - make of this what you will.
This could have been a much better experience if the initial welcome had been warmer, the prosecco chilled and if we were served what the offer promised without question.
I would not return here or recommend sadly. There are far better choices for afternoon/cream tea available.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to review our property.

Please accept my apologies for the poor experience during your afternoon tea with us. Poor service is unacceptable and this along with some of the products have been reviewed and addressed.
With regards to the strawberries - this was not part of our agreement with the agent and we have been in contact with them to resolve the matter now.