“Great location. Helpful and friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Academy

The Academy
Ranked #501 of 1,087 Hotels in London
essex
“Great location. Helpful and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night on be. The room was big and clean. The bed was a bit too firm. Bathroom was very spacious and clean with a stand alone roll top bath and separate shower cubical. The staff were very friendly. Location is great a few mins walk from Tottenham Court Road.
Would definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

You will be hard pushed to find more spacious rooms in London and I am glad you enjoyed this feature. I have actually just purchased new beds throughout the property which will be delivered in the next two weeks - hopefully you can enjoy them on your next visit.

Andrew van Eeden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the Academy and were most impressed by the charm and style of this London hotel. It has beautiful sophisticated interiors and very comfortable bedding; with a luxurious and homely feeling in the centre of London. Rooms on the back promise peace and tranquility in Bloomsbury; a stone's throw from the British Museum. Service was second to none with very thoughtful, well turned out and well-informed staff. We really could not recommend this hotel more highly. We will be sticking with the Academy for sure.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Glad you enjoyed the charm and character of the property and of course the location is second to none!

Surrey, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having seen some of the recent reviews on Tripadvisor I feared the worst and was pleasantly surprised when we arrived with a Travelzoo voucher today. We were seated in the library and enjoyed that to ourselves. Service was attentive but not overbearing which allowed my friend and I to spend 2 1/2 hours enjoying the selection of nice, fresh sandwiches (4 fillings, not shop bought); warm homemade scones, fruity strawberry jam and cream, a nice selection of petit fours. Two pots of tea and a glass of prosecco each. My friend is a chef and I am a cook. We voted the experience as very satisfactory and great value. Yes, the decor could do with an update. For a budget, family hotel in Central London it meets the standard as far as we could see.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kiwicall

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I am glad you enjoyed the afternoon tea with us but, I am sure a sneak preview of our rooms would have changed your view on a family budget hotel!

Southend-on-Sea, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed in the Academy hotel on the bank holiday weekend on the 25th-26th May with my girlfriend.

Reception greeted us nicely enough as we arrived and promptly took our bags to our room. Our room was situated on the 3rd floor in a hotel which didn't have a lift. Not too much of a problem for myself and my girlfriend who are fit twenty-somethigns but I could imagine a tedious task otherwise.

The room itself was lavish with silky sheets and a nice ascetic feel. The bathroom was spacious and had a lovely large bath but felt aged and needed a bit of a touch up.

Room service was prompt and friendly and the quality of breakfast in bed was tremendous.

I would recommend this hotel but however be aware of some of the quirks that may hinder some such as the lack of a lift.

Room Tip: Higher rooms require access via stairs and don't offer a view as a reward. If possible, book a l...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RossEgan

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I am glad you enjoyed the many features of our hotel and thank you for your kind words. As the hotel is a grade 2 listed building I feel it adds to the charm and character but, your final comments are indeed correct - please let us know if you prefer a lower floor room which we will always allocate on request.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Staff very friendly, welcomed us and explained all hotel arrangements. We were shown to our room which was a good size with a spacious bathroom. Bedding and towels were very good quality. Room clean but carpets could do with updating, Afternoon tea in the garden was very good and they had made the best of the small yard with flowers around, service also very good.
We had pre-ordered a full English breakfast which was plentiful and tasty. For the situation and average hotel I would stay there again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

By reading through your review I am slightly confused as to the final average remark as everything else seem to have been positive.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Front desk really friendly but the rest was sadly very disappointing. Internet frustrating with new codes required every 200mb's and connection slow. Stains on bedroom carpet. Tiny bathroom. No breakfast before 7am despite all being put out well before that. Grumpy dining room staff. No lift for luggage. Expensive for what you get. Noisy corridors!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Our internet within the hotel is complimentary throughout which is not the case with most of our competitors in the area. We have a control system in place in that you are required to have a new voucher issued every 24 hours as it’s a closed Wi-Fi signal to enhance security.

Please accept my apologies if there was any marks on your carpet - this is unacceptable and something I will further investigate.

Our published breakfast opening hours is from 7am but, I apologise if my breakfast staff came across unhelpful at this stage.

We are a 4 star boutique hotel in the heart of Bloomsbury and I believe our prices to be in line with other similar properties. As we are also a listed grade 2 building, we are unable to have lifts within the hotel adding the charm and character. A porter should however have been available to take your luggage up to your room and also explain all your room amenities during this stage.

Thank you once again for your stay.

Andrew van Eeden

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

My mother and father booked an afternoon tea at this hotel as an anniversary treat for my wife and I. On arrival hotel seems very nice clean simple modern allthough a little tired. Shown to garden( if u can call it that) several rusty and very dirty wrought iron tables covered in bird mess with stained and very faded cushions then food arrived what a joke 4 tiny finger sandwiches each ( obv made in morning and sat around as dry and crispy) full of the cheapest quality fillings and no flavour 2 shop bought scones each and runny clotted cream. Having looked at prices gobsmacked at the overall poor quality of both the location for the tea and the content .

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Baldydave

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Our afternoon tea offer is based on a standard 4 finger sandwiches per person with various fresh fillings, cakes and petit fours. There is also a selection of two scones each, one plain and one fruit filling with clotted cream and strawberry jam. The afternoon tea is then rounded off with a glass of sparkling wine each for the price which I will not publish at this time is exceptionally good value for money.

Please accept my apologies if the sandwiches were slightly dry and I am sorry if you did not find our courtyard to your expectation.