“Definitely not a 4 star hotel, not worth the money”
Review of The Academy

The Academy
Ranked #573 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I spent two nights at The Academy while on a business trip, I was greatly displeased with everything but the neighborhood and overall atmosphere.

On the negative side the room was extremely small, placed in the understairs, with an incredibly small and uncomfortable bathroom. Moreover the room was dirty and lacked some of the amenities you would expect from a four stars hotels.

Breakfast was without comment. You could find the buffet choice of a 2 stars establishment and order "a la carte" preparations which were not as well prepared as they were expensive.

Finally, reception and overall service was almost non-existent, they weren't even able to call a cab for me, I had to call a Uber car for myself.

Never again, for this kind of money you can easily stay at more comfy hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Frandrake
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

The Academy offers a variety of bedrooms to suit each individuals needs and they are also priced accordingly. Our bedrooms are all of a good size compared to other hotels in Bloomsbury but, I am sorry you did not experience this during your stay with us.

We normally receive very positive feedback from our breakfast so I was surprised to read that you felt this area was well below standard. I will however review the offerings and prices to ensure we offer a good product.

With regards to the reception team and your cab - when you requested a cab, the reception team informed you of the 15/20 minute wait if one was to be booked. They then offered to hail a cab instead which you declined so I am perplexed at your feedback.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at The Academy for one night for a last minute trip. I booked the room on a last minute hotel room website - having read the reviews here and thinking well it's where I need to be for one night - I don't mind if it's not perfect.

Turns out - it's surprisingly lovely! Yes, I'm on the top floor with no lift - so that would be a no no for many, but the room is way more comfortable than expected. Mini bar, iPod Dock, free wifi, *very* comfy bed. The staff friendly and courteous, and the location is great - it's a quiet street but a short walk to Oxford street and the hustle and bustle of the city.

I often need to stay places for work in London and usually end up in a travel lodge / ibis because you know what you're getting but I would definitely add this place to my list of "try here" next time I'm in London!

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs asked before you book.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

As mentioned during your feedback, our location is fantastic but more importantly the property offers an alternative to some of the bigger chains.

I hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had a voucher for afternoon tea at this hotel when we arrived we had to wait in reception for about 5 mins and were then taken to there little courtyard garden at back of hotel which was very nice as the sun was out . We were served our glass of bubbly and then 5 minutes later our tea arrived we had two large pots of earl grey tea and lovely sandwiches and scones and cream along with little chocolate cakes and they were all very nice. The waiter was good and left us on our own to enjoy our tea and it was all good and the hotel looked very nice

1  Thank beechy2603

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I am glad you were able to enjoy your afternoon tea with us. We have now introduced a number of new teas which I hope you can sample during your next visit.

Kind Regard

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Regardless of a porter being available to take luggage, our trek up six flights of stairs to our room would be difficult for anyone who has mobility problems. Luckily we are fit 60-somethings but didn't really enjoy being stuck up in what would have been the servants quarters in the attic back in the day. Tiny window, pokey bathroom. Bit disappointing but the hotel certainly has character and location is good. Should indicate on website that there is no lift and not suitable for guests with mobility problems.

Room Tip: Check the level the room is on if you have any problems with stairs

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Due to the fact that the property is dating back to the 1700's and now also a grade two listed building we are unfortunately not able to install a lift. I am sorry if this information was not made available or clear at the time of the booking. We have now asked for all our agents to update their information to ensure this is more visible during the booking stages.

The unique layout of the building offers a variety of bedroom shapes and sizes which contributes to the quirkiness of the overall style. Our rooms are also of a good size compared to many other hotels in Bloomsbury. I am however sorry that you did not enjoy your allocated room on this occasion.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

four of us had booked afternoon tea here. I was a special occasion and we were all really excited to be meeting up at a lovely old hotel. We checked in at reception, and waited, and waited. It was about 20 minutes before we were collected by Billy - who did apologise. Unfortunately, it was raining so we were placed in the basement, where there was one other table occupied. We noticed other tables that must have previously occupied were not cleared away - and they stayed like that until we left.
Billy came to take our tea/coffee orders quickly, and I asked for a jug of iced tap water at the same time (it was stuffy in the basement). I had to ask three more times before we actually got it 40 minutes later. The tea and coffee came quickly - one pot between two (though to be fair, they did top it up, but it took SO long) with an apology for not bringing the prosecco first. And no spoons with the tea cups. I had to go hunting for extra cutlery at least three times during the afternoon. Once the staff bought anything, they disappeared into thin air, and you had to be really quick to stop them and ask for anything you needed.
When the afternoon tea finally appeared, it looked pretty - what a shame it didn't look as nice as it looked. When I had booked the tea, I had explained about the dietary restrictions and expressed NO cow/pig meat in the sandwiches. Sitting there, nestles amongst the cheese and tomato, salmon and egg finger sandwiches were ham. At the next appearance of the waiter, I explained the error and they did change them to more cheese and tomato ones, slowly.
The quality of the food (as a diabetic, I didn't have any of the chocolates on the top tier) was awful. The bread used in the sandwiches was cheap and tasteless, the scones were dry and there was one tiny tiny pot of cream and one tiny tiny pot of jam - barely enough for two scones, never mind eight. I went hunting in the room and found a stack of breakfast jams which I bought back to the table. Once one more pot of tea/coffee had been requested, we didn't see any more waiting staff for the next two hours, after which we left.
I don't expect afternoon tea here to be the same standard as The Ritz, but I did expect it to be better than it was. I certainly expected better service. Will not be returning or recommending.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nikypLondon

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Following on from a previous review I have just replied to, we have made a number of changes to our afternoon tea service as this area was clearly not to an acceptable standard and for this I apologise.

Can I ask that you contact me directly on andrew.vaneeden@theacademyhotel.co.uk and I will be happy to discuss this matter further in detail.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My friend treated me to afternoon tea here. We sat in the garden as it was lovely weather. It was very relaxing. The hotel itself is old style and quite quaint. The tea was good - scones lovely and warm, sandwiches nice but The minature cakes were a bit too creamy. Very good that they didn't rush you to get out so you out stay and have a chat when you finished eating. All in all, a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We have made a number of changes to our afternoon tea service, setting and offering to ensure guests receive the best possible experience. We will also be introducing a number of new teas over the coming days so please come and visit us again and give us your feedback.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Today six of us went for afternoon tea at The Academy. We were taken to our table at the back of the hotel in a small courtyard/garden area. Very nice indeed.
However, the service was non existent, and when extra tea and jam were needed, one of the party had to go and find a member of staff. Even when we were ready to leave, the only person around was the receptionist at the hotel desk, and even he did not ask us if we'd had a good time and whether everything had been alright.
Would we go back again and recommend it to others? A resounding No.

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service you received during your time with us. This is an area that we have now reviewed and restructured from a staffing perspective to ensure this problem is not repeated.