“Who the hell is writing the positive reviews?”
Review of The Academy

The Academy
Ranked #528 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Singapore, Singapore
“Who the hell is writing the positive reviews?”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I should have read Trip Advisor first!

All our complaints to the Deputy GM and the GM about this hotel were received as though they had never had such a complaint before; yet reading Trip Advisor it is clear they have been receiving the same complaints for years. What a soul-destroying place this must be for one to work in when ones whole day must be taken up dealing with complaints.

We too walked up several flights of stairs to our room at the top of the hotel, on a very hot day to open the door to our room to be met by a 'fug' of sauna-like temperatures. The air-con didn't work so we were moved to the 'back-up' room. This is room 33 and has been specifically complained about before on this website, and should never be accepted. When we were taken to this room the maintenance staff were there getting it ready, cleaning the air-con and changing the light bulb in the shower room (cubicle). The air-con didn't work here either. Apparently because it was an 'uncharacteristically hot day' at 28 degrees and 74% humidity: we live in Singapore where it is typically 34 degrees and 90+% humidity, but the air-con is always super efficient. Why? Because it is maintained properly.

The internet didn't work. I complained that the two things one expects from a hotel is to get a good night's sleep and to catch up with important business communications. I complained that Premier Inn offer a money back guarantee on both, to which I received the response 'well, that is their USP'.
We got a terrible night's sleep only to be rudely disturbed at 0830 by the maintenance staff knocking the door.

The ablutions are a joke - worse than those at EasyHotel at 26 pounds a night!

I then put my back out falling off the loo seat, which wasn't secured to the floor - I'm not a fat guy.

The UK (I'm British) is appalling at hospitality at the best of times, but this takes the biscuit. It's an embarrassment.

The Academy needs to invest some serious money in a refurbishment: until it does DO NOT STAY THERE.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PaulLewis999
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
Dear Mr Lewis,

Thank you for your review.

Please accept my apologies for the room difficulty you experienced during your stay with us. I believe Roy (Assistant GM) did move you to an alternative room following your initial feedback and tried his best under the circumstances to accommodate all your requests. I am sorry if you feel that the issues were not dealt with in a professional manner on this occasion.

I believe you were largely compensated for the discomfort experienced during your stay.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused.

Regards

Andrew van Eeden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
UK
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here one night in June this year. Room was incredibly small and not worth the price charged. Air Con wasn't working so was also hot and stuffy for good measure.

Restaurant staff in the morning didn't seem too keen to give me a cooked breakfast even though I was happy to pay extra for it. It was very nice once it came though.

I had to laugh at the description as a Boutique Hotel. It's not.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nickyisgod
AcademyHotel, General Manager at The Academy, responded to this review, 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

We have a variety of room categories to suit all requirements which is then also priced accordingly. I apologise for the fact that the air conditioning in your room was not working.

Our breakfast waiters have been with us for some time and I am sorry if they didn’t seem their enthusiastic self but, I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

At just a stones throw away from Tottenham Court Road, the location is fantastic. All you need from restaurants and shopping are all within easy walking distance.

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted with a very helpful and polite receptionist, checked in within 2 mins and our luggage was taken to our room immediately.

The room was........gorgeous! Very clean and tidy, beautiful bed, sizeable sofa, good sized bathroom and real charm and character from the design and decoration.

If you get the chance, ask for room 11, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Stayed July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Glad you enjoyed the location, room and little extras our property has to offer! Room 11 is actually one of our suites so it’s good to read that you found the space and decoration to a suitable standard.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I spent two nights at The Academy while on a business trip, I was greatly displeased with everything but the neighborhood and overall atmosphere.

On the negative side the room was extremely small, placed in the understairs, with an incredibly small and uncomfortable bathroom. Moreover the room was dirty and lacked some of the amenities you would expect from a four stars hotels.

Breakfast was without comment. You could find the buffet choice of a 2 stars establishment and order "a la carte" preparations which were not as well prepared as they were expensive.

Finally, reception and overall service was almost non-existent, they weren't even able to call a cab for me, I had to call a Uber car for myself.

Never again, for this kind of money you can easily stay at more comfy hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Frandrake

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

The Academy offers a variety of bedrooms to suit each individuals needs and they are also priced accordingly. Our bedrooms are all of a good size compared to other hotels in Bloomsbury but, I am sorry you did not experience this during your stay with us.

We normally receive very positive feedback from our breakfast so I was surprised to read that you felt this area was well below standard. I will however review the offerings and prices to ensure we offer a good product.

With regards to the reception team and your cab - when you requested a cab, the reception team informed you of the 15/20 minute wait if one was to be booked. They then offered to hail a cab instead which you declined so I am perplexed at your feedback.

Andrew van Eeden

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Bradford, Yorks
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed at The Academy for one night for a last minute trip. I booked the room on a last minute hotel room website - having read the reviews here and thinking well it's where I need to be for one night - I don't mind if it's not perfect.

Turns out - it's surprisingly lovely! Yes, I'm on the top floor with no lift - so that would be a no no for many, but the room is way more comfortable than expected. Mini bar, iPod Dock, free wifi, *very* comfy bed. The staff friendly and courteous, and the location is great - it's a quiet street but a short walk to Oxford street and the hustle and bustle of the city.

I often need to stay places for work in London and usually end up in a travel lodge / ibis because you know what you're getting but I would definitely add this place to my list of "try here" next time I'm in London!

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs asked before you book.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

As mentioned during your feedback, our location is fantastic but more importantly the property offers an alternative to some of the bigger chains.

I hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future!

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had a voucher for afternoon tea at this hotel when we arrived we had to wait in reception for about 5 mins and were then taken to there little courtyard garden at back of hotel which was very nice as the sun was out . We were served our glass of bubbly and then 5 minutes later our tea arrived we had two large pots of earl grey tea and lovely sandwiches and scones and cream along with little chocolate cakes and they were all very nice. The waiter was good and left us on our own to enjoy our tea and it was all good and the hotel looked very nice

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beechy2603

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I am glad you were able to enjoy your afternoon tea with us. We have now introduced a number of new teas which I hope you can sample during your next visit.

Kind Regard

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Regardless of a porter being available to take luggage, our trek up six flights of stairs to our room would be difficult for anyone who has mobility problems. Luckily we are fit 60-somethings but didn't really enjoy being stuck up in what would have been the servants quarters in the attic back in the day. Tiny window, pokey bathroom. Bit disappointing but the hotel certainly has character and location is good. Should indicate on website that there is no lift and not suitable for guests with mobility problems.

Room Tip: Check the level the room is on if you have any problems with stairs
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

Due to the fact that the property is dating back to the 1700's and now also a grade two listed building we are unfortunately not able to install a lift. I am sorry if this information was not made available or clear at the time of the booking. We have now asked for all our agents to update their information to ensure this is more visible during the booking stages.

The unique layout of the building offers a variety of bedroom shapes and sizes which contributes to the quirkiness of the overall style. Our rooms are also of a good size compared to many other hotels in Bloomsbury. I am however sorry that you did not enjoy your allocated room on this occasion.

Thank you once again for your feedback.