“quick trip”

Ranked #871 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Wellington, United Kingdom
“quick trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hotel was easy to find. Slightly father away from St Pancras than the website suggested. The needs were comfortable, clean and the pillows were great. Food in the bar/restaurant was reasonably priced and tasty. Express check in /out was a real plus.

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Good clean hotel, staff helpful changed our room as they put us opposite the lifts we went back and asked if we could change and there was no problem at all. Good location from Kings Cross station about 10 mins walk easy to find, would stay there again if you book well in advance you can get a good rate for the room.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I initially took the reviews with a pinch of salt - this is a travelodge after all so it's meant to be basic - cheap and cheerful. I was also reassured by the fact the website advertised the hotel as being newly refurbished so maybe the issues had been fixed, right? However this hotel has definitely not been refurbished for a very long time!

Staff we're perfectly polite if not warm, room was small but appeared clean albeit a bit grubby and threadbare just from age/usage so so far not the best travelodge ever but still absolutely fine considering the sub £75 per night price tag in Central London.

The real problem was that I couldn't get a good night sleep - the room was small so they'd used standard double beds, this was fine - it just made for a rather cosy night with my girlfriend. Which would have been sweet if the room also hadn't been boiling hot, without aircon or any meaningful way to cool it down. So we spent a very restless, sticky, uncomfortable night as a result, and without much sleep.

The hotel and it's location was also noisy so I could hear lots of lift noise, lots of street noise (if managed to open the window the permitted 10cm), which when you're just drifting in and out of sleep keeps jerking you back awake.

In the morning I also found the water pressure a bit low and the shower head also low so I had to stoop under a weak shower to clean.

I guess in summary I'm all for cheap and cheerful, but it's only 'cheerful' if I can actually get a good night sleep - which I couldn't do at this place.

So long and short - wouldn't stay there again, I should have saved my £75 and just stayed up for the first train instead, I wouldn't have been any more refreshed or comfortable!

Advice for hotel:

(1) refurbish or close this hotel - it's undermining your brand
(2) it's a busy location so you need aircon otherwise people open windows and are kept awake by road noise
(3) it needs more internal soundproofing
(4) most, even budget hotels offer king sized beds these days
(5) the shower pressure needs to be better and the shower head needs to be at a hight a 6-footer can stand beneath.

Those are just basics for a good night sleep - until you can get those right people should avoid this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Northampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stopped at this travelodge in March, rooms not to bad, but need decorating, we took the breakfast option, the Saturday was fine, but Sunday it became clear they were short of staff when the manager had to roll up his sleeves and got stuck in.
Bit slow at the bar at night 2 staff only, and they got there in the end, still cant complain, had a great weekend with the wife's brother and wife and there lad, we went to the tower of London Saturday daytime then we will rock you at night, and then they went up the shard Sunday, not my cup of tea heights so me and sis inlaw found coffee shop near tower bridge and stayed on terra firma.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was reluctantly booked into this hotel for 5 nights for work and having read previous reviews, was very worried. The hotel itself was fine though, I've stayed in far worse Travelodges. My only complaint was that the accommodation was boiling hot throughout our stay. As soon as you leave reception and enter the lifts/corridors you notice the temperature change. I left the window open permanently in my room and made sure even the heated towel rail was turned off, but to no avail. I slept without the duvet and with the window open all week. It was so hot in fact that my feet swelled up, not pleasant. Bit disappointed that there wasn't even the option of an electric fan, let alone air conditioning.

Otherwise, it was fine. The rooms/bathrooms were a bit jaded but clean and serviceable.

Room Tip: I asked for a room at the back of the hotel, which I think made it a lot quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had booked to stay here for 1 night after a football game. Having read some reviews on here, I was quite worried - but this was unfounded.

Yes the building is quite dingy from the outside and there are areas inside that need renovating but the premises are being updated and you can see they in the beautiful bar/ breakfast area.

The room was spacious especially considering this is Central London. And it was very clean, no problems like others have reported and a very comfy bed :)

The room furniture is a bit old and dated, but again the rooms are being renovated so this won't always be the case.

Very easy 10 - 15 minute walk from Kings Cross station, very helpful and pleasant staff, super quick check in and a good choice at breakfast.

For the price and the location, this is a good choice and we would happily stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our visit was on Bank Holiday Weekend of the Football Play Off Finals.
Arrived here early and paid the £10 for early check-in. Although the hotel is on a main road, it is ideal for public transport (No. 63 bus stops outside the hotel on either side of the road)

We never heard any noise from any of the rooms adjacent and only heard transport outside due to having the window open.

We would definetly use this hotel again due to its location and ease of access to local transport (bus & Kings Cross Station)

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge