“There are better places, but the view is great”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #259 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Perfect location if you are visiting London, however, if you are a business traveller, the hotel is old, wifi is terrible and expensive and the phone system is terrible. It is really a touristic hotel not a business hotel.

2  Thank Fair123
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear Reviewer,

I really regret that as a business traveller we didn’t meet your expectations. I’m so sorry to hear that the phone and Wi-Fi service were not up to the usual standards during your stay and I will ensure that this is looked in to by a BT Openzone engineer.

I really do hope that you will consider the Tower next time you’re in London on business.

Ian

Write a ReviewReviews (7,200)

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I have stayed here before. That time it was a very late night arrival and an early morning departure, but what sticks in my mind from that visit was the view of Tower Bridge lit up and the fantastic view of it from the bar and my room.
This time around I had a bit more time to enjoy the hotel- but not much. The views were just as fantastic as this hotel is on the river side and right next to Tower Bridge. My room was clean, comfortable and quiet. This one looked out over St Katharine's Dock.
I also ate in at the Brasserie, which offers a reasonable choice of food whichis of good quality, and reasonably priced as hotels go. I did think that the bar was expensive, but then this is a hotel in central London.
The location could not be better fo rthe Tower of London, and if you want to go into the West End, then there is a tube station nearby, and I am sure there will be buses and taxis galore above ground too. I would stay here again without hesitation, but there are other hotels that I prefer for location- but not many.

Room Tip: Excellent for Tower of London

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks so much for your review,

I’m glad that as a returning guest you were able to experience the fantastic views over the Docks this time around. We’re lucky to have a licensed taxi rank outside the hotel so guests can easily access the West End or use the many buses that stop on the Bridge.

It’s always a pleasure to read such positive feedback and I really look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here for a couple of days in April this year. The best thing about this hotel is its location, gorgeous views of the Tower Bridge and St Katherine's dock. If you're in town to do business in the city, this is just perfect. A little far from Canary wharf though.

The room's good value for money perfect for short business trips. The staff was courteous, though the wifi charges were a little steep.

Also, there are loads of restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel to unwind after a day's work. all in all, I'd come back here the next time I'm in London !

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Thanks for your posting,

I’m delighted to read you had such a great stay with us in April. As a business traveller I’m really pleased you found the hotel suited your needs so well and it’s great to hear you’ll be returning next time you’re in London.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

I have stayed here many times over the past few months and this, sadly, is a hotel I will never come to love. It's one immense positive is it's location overlooking Tower Bridge, a room on the river is great, but those on the back are not. The hotel feels like it is a money making machine for the owners where they put back in only a small proportion of the gains. The rooms feel tired, not shabby, just tired. The staff especially at breakfast and checking out in the morning are overworked. It should (and could) be a great hotel but it isn't. Try to get a deal because the walk up rates are astronomical. Also BEWARE when they offer you an upgrade as they normally forget to mention they don't mean a free upgrade, I have had several arguements about this practice. Also some 'upgrades' are to miniscule singles, do NOT consider these rooms, they are tiny! The food is OK, but nothing like what you would expect in this location at these prices. Go out to eat all your meals and you will feel the better for it, there are many better eateries at smaller prices, or much better eateries at similar prices.

Room Tip: Ask to see where the room is on a map at reception, push for a river view

Dear Reviewer,

I was sad to learn that despite several visits over the last few months we haven’t managed to win you over. We have invested a significant amount of money into refurbishing our bedrooms over the past few years and continue to do so. I regret the room you had felt tired. We change our menus on a regular basis and appreciate your feedback; we will take this into consideration with our Chef and service teams when we next meet to improve our menu offerings at the end of the summer.
I was astonished to learn that you were upgraded to a single room this is certainly not a normal practise and will investigate why and how this happened.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know about your experience, it will certainly help me to continuously improve what we do.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

I cannot complain about the standard of care in the main hotel, the staff were polite and very eager to please, so they would get an excellent rating but the whole stay was let down by a number of things. The family room offered on the website photo looked stunning however in reality the room was very old fashioned and shabby, with chips missing from the lamps, dated decor and none of the pretty throws and rugs as shown in the picture.
Room service was fantastic, if a little expensive, but the brassiere resturant was awful! We were greated very rudely because we hadnt booked ( the reception staff told us we didnt have to) and were promtly shoved in a corner table by an open door and ignored for a while. We ordered, and they brought my husbands and my dinner out first, and my 3 year old daughter appeared to have been forgotten. it took ages to attract someones attention by which point our meals were cold. We sent them back to be warmed up in the end as our daughter takes far longer to eat than us, so by the time our meals returned hers was cool enough so that we could eat together, The whole service was a shambles, waitors rushing around carrying plates with no idea where they were supposed to be going, we were offered someone elses meal more than once. If this is the hotels flagship resturant it really needed its service looking at, as the resturant was very expensive and it was supposed to be a 4* hotel therefore you would expect 4* service.
However it was in a fantasic location, and the reception staff were lovely and polite. If you want something with more character than a travellodge then go for it, the views were lovely on the 9th floor (we didnt get a bridge view but the back view of the city and the wharf were just as lovely) and we would go again, but more the setting than the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank thestewartfamily15
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review,
I’m so sorry for the appalling service you received in the Brasserie, the whole experience was inexcusable. Rest assured I will personally be speaking to the team about the lapse in what is usually consistently good service.
I’m glad to hear that you found reception to be lovely and polite and that your room service was fantastic.
I was sorry to read your comments about the standard of your room; we are currently in the process of refurbishing our bedrooms with the majority already completed however this does not make up for the condition you experienced.
It would be wonderful to welcome you and your family back and I hope we have the opportunity to do this very soon

Reviewed 24 July 2011

GOOD: location is great with lots of rooms having views of tower bridge. Building looks awful outside, but inside is surprisingly bright and modern. Rooms are a good size and relatively clean, though we found bath had a lot of hair in it.

BAD: check in took ages and there is no queuing system, so lots of people mill around wondering whis turn it is. The staff at reception are not exactly sharp nor fast it seemed. Breakfast was a terrible experience, and it was clear they couldn't cope in the brasserie at peak times. The cooked breakfast buffet soon ran out of most items, and if you were lucky to get any, it was cold. God knows how the sausages are made, but they were not cooked through and seemed to be filled with a kind of paste with herbs... Not nice.
OVERALL: obviously depends what your looking for. Personally I found the Travel Lodge at Waterloo was cheaper, cleaner and had a better breakfast if all you need is a clean bed, bathroom and breakfast. However, for location and a little more style you could consider The Tower... Just avoid the sausages!!

• Stayed: July 2011

Thanks for your posting,
I’m so sorry to hear that your experience with us was not all positive.
It’s the breakfast team’s aim to ensure the buffet is maintained and I regret that we didn’t get it right on this occasion. I will for sure review the quality of the sausage as this doesn’t appear to have been consistent with our usual offering.
I really hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2011

As we were having dinner in the Tower of London last night it made sense to book a room in this apparetnly 4* hotel next door. What a mistake. Booking in was slow because, although there were plenty of staff on duty, the computer system had locked out the receptionist with whom I had been partnered. I was not offered an upgrade although I heard others being offered them at £30 extra! Had booked an 'Executive' double room and indeed there was a view of St Katherine's Dock. But, the carpet was well worn and so definitely didn't look clean, the wallpaper was definitely tired as were the skirting boards and the double bed was barely queen sized. It transpired later - through an almost sleepless night - that it was also very very hard which uncomfortable state was not relieved by useless pillows. There was a large and quite clearly dirty crack in the bathroom sink, the shower was difficult to turn on and off and there was a discernible sewage system stink when you did use the taps - none of these things of course immediately noticeable on arrival in room. At 0820hrs this morning housekeeping rang the bell - obviously to see if we had booked out yet so that the room could be cleaned and by 1015 hrs both keyfobs had stopped working. Breakfast was very ordinary and having been advised that it was served on the mezzaine floor until 1100 hrs, was in fact closed just after 1000 hrs. On checking out it was to discover that the bill had already been charged to my card - although I was assured on booking in that that wouldn't happen - and when I used the validated car parking ticket to exit the car park the machine advised that I had overstayed my welcome and needed to re-pay the bill! The doorman insisted that I get out of my car and show him the proof that I had indeed been an overnight guest before he would let me leave. Executive luxury this was not and I advise one and all to steer well clear - I certainly will be.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
TowerHotelManager, Hotel Manager at The Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your stay with me. I am so glad that we were able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tower again soon.

Glenn Hallam.