“Overnight on Business”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #270 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

The Tower Hotel is outwardly very smart and gives the impression of an expensive place to stay.
Public areas are very 'swish' and check-in was efficient and quick.
The room was comfortable and spacious with fantastic views of London Bridge.
On the downside, the heating was very difficult to find - no thermostat, just a small switch by the bed (which I didn't see) to increase or decrease the temp?!!
Lighting was also difficult - 3 different low intensity lights but still (after 24 hours) haven't found the main light switch and no good if you want to work!
Breakfast was however very good.
Lastly, some things were a little 'tired' - new shower head in bathroom but 'old' regulator which is stiff and difficult to work. Also broken and unused washing line over the bath still attached to the wall despite not usable. Mirror in the bathroom was damaged - not a big thing but detracted from the appearance of 'upmarketness' which is otherwise apparent.
All in all I'd stay again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SunshineRob
There are newer reviews for The Tower

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Very mixed bag, very slow check in, blurred window so couldn't see the tower bridge well, and a bit tatty. On the flip side nice hotel in room generally and the communal areas, good views when you can see it and great location. Overall would go there again if it was the right price again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jimjan69
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is a fairly large and busy hotel, so that's how some drawbacks occur. There can be lines waiting for service (front desk, the lift, breakfast, the taxi). It's exterior has the architectural appeal of a bunker, and as the saying goes the rooms may appear a little tired. But I've found the staff to be friendly and helpful; they do try to expedite those lines. The rooms are nicely sized and comfortable, and the public spaces are welcoming. And the location is a great base for exploring London. With the waterfront setting and adjacent Tower Bridge, no one really looks at the hotel exterior anyway. So if you can stand a little imperfection in room décor, trade that in on a spectacular view of the Thames and Tower Bridge right out your bedroom window, and this hotel will do just fine. I have stayed here twice, and will consider it again for convenience if nothing else.

Room Tip: You may have to pay a little more but get confirmation for a Tower Bridge view when you book
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WarrenShoe
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed as part of a group and were very pleasantly surprised at our treatment by the staff, the comfort of the room and the breakfast. Denise in the restaurant in particular was most helpful.

Though the hotel was much improved on our last stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
GMTower, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your post. It’s great to read that the team did a great job, particularly Denise who was delighted to hear your kind words. I hope you’ll visit us again.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Love this hotel. This was my second stay this year and I enjoyed it as much as the first. Great views great staff. Lifts could be a little faster but apart from that I will be back in the new year. I had ordered flowers and champagne for the room on our arrival. Neither was in our room when we arrived but was quickly sorted. The flowers arrived shortly afterwards. The champagne did not arrive by the time we had to leave a dimmer date but when we got back to the room there was a bottle of Prosecco waiting with a little note to apologise and a full refund for the Champagne. This was a pleasant surprise and one I did not expect. The whole stay was fabulous thank you all.

Room Tip: Its worth paying the extra for a bridge view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I’m truly delighted to read that you’ve enjoyed your stay and the team was able to resolve this for you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stay here many times as it falls into the "approved" price and hotel selection list at work. Not surprised it is the cheapest around and understand most business people will avoid it like the plague. Every time i arrive with a confirmed booking for a room with a double bed, the hotel suggests there are only single rooms available. It is becoming a joke now on check in. The highly annoying check in procedure takes about 25 min, where I ask to see the manager who disappears into the office behind reception, returns some time later , presses a few buttons on a computer, smirks and says " I think I have found you a double room". Things got worse in the last couple of months, when I was double charged on my credit card, once for the bill I paid on checking out, the second for a "no show" charge , even though I was staying in the hotel. 3 months later , no refund received to date, no apologies, nothing at all. I also have a telephone charge from my room. As I have a mobile phone I do not need to use the bedroom phone with hyper inflated price tag, so I never do. Afterwards I ran the number dialled, which was a security guard at the hotel. So one of the staff with access to my room has dialled the security boyfriend whilst I was absent, happily charging a customer for this convenience. My recommendation, if you can avoid it, do every effort to do so. If you can plan in advance the premier inns or Travellodges around London are much better value, cleaner and hassle free. This is mass tourism, with uninterested staff in the extreme. Horrible experience every time. And lastly, just have a look from any vantage point outside, great historic centre of London with the most horrific looking concrete pile of rubble right next to the most recognised bridge in the world. We should campaign to have it torn down before the next election!!!

By the way, no airco, noisy rooms , stuffy corridors, no pool, no spa, slow lifts I can go on and on....

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Bob T

Dear reviewer,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I would really like to personally look into the issues you’ve raised, please feel free to contact me on billy.hughes@guoman.co.uk.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We all realise that from time to time that problems do happen with hotel bookings it is how quickly they are resolved that count.

We recently booked a three bedded club room by phone which was confirmed by email.

When I arrived the room there room reserved was a two bedded even two hours later we were still looking at interconnecting with a bed in each eventually we got our 3 beds and access to the club room. This really isn't the standard we expect from a 4* hotel.

Putting aside the check- in fiasco, the hotel is in a very nice location next to Tower Bridge, the rooms are of a nice size and well furnished. The bar with its panoramic view of the bridge is excellent place for a drink. The club room is not one of the best but equally is not the worse.
The service is generally good, but the speed of check-in needs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family