“Fantastic hotel, staff and Perfect location”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #268 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, staff and Perfect location”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel, staff and perfect location.

We booked a double room for 2 nights and we arrived (outside the congestion zone) to a hotel in the very heart of London.

We enquired if it was possible to upgrade our room for a special occasion and were delighted when Lisa (from the Netherlands) said we could with pleasure. Presumably the hotel was not fully booked and she promptly upgraded us to an apartment with balcony overlooking St Katharine's Docks.

The apartment came with free mini bar and an absolutely unbelievable view of the London sky line.

Nothing was a bother for any staff which I found unusual from previous London hotel staff. The gentlemen at the concierge were particularly helpful with stowing our belongings and valuables that couldn't fit in our room deposit box.

We enjoyed our stay so much we decided to extend it to a third night which I guess resulted in extra business generated directly as a result of Lisa's initial kind welcoming gesture to us.

Whilst this hotel doesn't look much from the outside, it's quite beautiful inside.

If I was splitting hairs (as I'm prone to do occasionally, apparently) it was a shame they didn't do ordered individual breakfasts such as omelettes, salmon, eggs benedict etc. However the full English breakfast offered was still fantastic.

Overall a brilliant mini-break in a brilliant hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,911)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

On the whole I would say this hotel is at best average for its class and definitely overpriced (probably due to its location). There were some positives but the negatives and the price outweighed those, leaving a negative impression in my minnd. Most of my review is based on my experience in booking a group into this hotel and overall I would say my experience with this was poor to average. Some staff I dealt with were very helpful, but some were not.

While staying at the hotel, my personal room and stay were fine for the most part. The concierge and housekeeping staff were helpful and attentive. There were some definite quirks - they seemed to be doing work near my room at one point and left the doors open to the outside cold air - making the hallways quite chilly. A couple of quick notes: the club rooms are much nicer but have less workspace, if you can get a view of either the bridge or the docks, the views are quite nice. And the club room I stayed in seemed smaller than the standard room I stayed in. The elevators seem to very slow and busy. I took the stairs most of the time as I found waiting for the elevators exasperating at points. One pro is that the computers in the lobby are free and it is free to print.

The hotel layout for each floor and the guest rooms seems very similar to what cruise ship or passenger ship might be - it is a bit of a labyrinth and there are wooden swinging doors at different points in the hall, making it very difficult to maneuver suitcases and bags as you head to your room.

With regards to making the group booking, tracking down sales and booking staff prior to our stay seemed a bit of a challenge. We were a smaller group for a hotel that clearly deals with larger groups and events (I say this based on the convention and other groups I noticed in the hotel on the days we arrived) so perhaps that is why some of my emails went unanswered. I never was dealing with one direct contact and really never knew who was reading my emails that were sent to a general email box or who I was going to be dealing with on the phone when it was answered (there were times where the sales/booking numbers I had rung without answer or voice mail) - it seemed a bit of an odd system for booking in groups and not really efficient and not similar to other hotels I deal with (where you deal with one sales contact and one booking agent or at most two).

The hotel seems to have a lot of things that just aren't quite up to standard in terms of efficiency and service - long lines at the check in seem to be a regular occurrence, and it seems to be due in part to either a slow computer system or inefficient check in process. Yes hotels get busy, but the amount of time that each guest spent at check in seems longer than at many other hotels I've stayed at. Note - if you are booking a big group in the hotel, you may want to consider this when making your decision.

Another item was the cleaning/ room allocation system. Several of guests who booked as part of our group were told their rooms weren't ready even though I had noted on the rooming list that they would be arriving early (transatlantic flights). I inquired at the front desk about this and was told that club rooms were cleaned first. I asked if these individuals could be put in these rooms, since I had made a special note on the rooming list that members of my group would be arriving early. I was told that they could pay an upgrade fee if they wanted a room. I understand that club level rooms do get priority in many hotels, but after noting it on the rooming list and realizing that they clearly have club level rooms that aren't going to be used that evening - it seems management could have made the decision to either clean the rooms first for those individuals requesting early check in or provide the club rooms to the guests arriving. It was a bit of an annoyance for a person trying to manage group expectations and definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth. I felt like they were trying to upsell rooms to groggy and tired people arriving off an overnight flight. I also seemed to get little redress when I raised this with front desk and booking staff, which is unusual when dealing with a group booking.

If you have other choices, I'd suggest those. Overall, it was fine, but I definitely would not choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try for a club room or room with a view of the docks or bridge
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GMTower, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I'm really sorry to hear of your disappointment and please be assured that I most definitely do care about all guest feedback both positive and negative. I have noted your comments to address with the team. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your experience.
Kind regards,
Billy
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed one night with daughter and family. Rooms not quite right staff extremely helpful and quickly changed. Beds comfortable and food excellent. Hotel superb and will stop again beautiful views. Close to underground and buses great spot.

Room Tip: If children with you make sure room big enough.. Lots to do in immediate area..
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sheila W
GMTower, Manager at The Tower, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Hi Sheila W,

Thank for your comments, I am pleased we looked after you and your family and quickly got you the right rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Tower soon.

All the best,

Billy.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel a while ago. The staff were excellent. The room was faultless - clean, tidy, spacious, great view.
We arrived early and the room wasn't ready so they upgraded us to an executive room.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2littleexplorers
GMTower, Manager at The Tower, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Hi 2littleexplorers,

I am pleased you had a good Tower experience, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Billy
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend. From the moment I arrived, I felt more than welcome by the staff. They all were extremely kind and helpful. Breakfast is delicious, with a full english breakfast buffet and an awesome freshly baked bread selection. The hotel is situated in the very heart of London, next to the London bridge and 5 minutes away from the Tower of London. The nearest metro station is 10 minutes away, and within 20 minutes you can get almost anywhere (e.g. Westminster Abbey). I would certainly go back to this hotel, which made my visit to London even better than I expected.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Antonio F
Purmerend, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 December 2013

To surprise my wife for her 40th birthday I booked a weekend at The Tower hotel, because she had stayed there years ago with a friend and she always wanted to go back. Because I had booked the hotel through a Travel Agent I contacted Guest Relations to upgrade the room to a room with Bridge View. Jurate from Guest Relations responded swift and helpfull and after a couple of emails with questions from my side she confirmed that she had reserved a room with Bridge View. We arrived at 12pm and we could immediately go to our room and wow....what a view we had! (see attached photo). The room was very good and so were the matrasses and pillows. I don't think I ever slept this good in a hotelbed. Service at the reception and breakfast was good and very friendly. Breakfast was enjoyable as well, not a very large selection of bread but apart from that the quality was good. We order Room Service one night and the Club Sandwich was very good. All in all, we had a great stay at the hotel and if we ever visit London again there will be no discussion about which hotel we will stay in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MjP123123
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We spent a weekend at the hotel early December 2013 and we would certainly stay again at the establishment. We formed part of a coach party from North Wales and the group was soon "cleared" after arrival at the hotel in n efficient way. As guests we were soon relaxing in our room before going to St. Martin's Theatre to see a performance of the Mousetrap that evening.

The room was comfortable and spacious with a pleasant view of St. Katherine's Dock. Like the public parts of the hotel the place was very clean and tidy.

We found the hotel staff very helpful and efficient and our short stay was indeed a pleasant experience. The staff certainly worked as a team and this was evident in the Brasserie (on the ground floor near reception) where we took our meals.

The hotel food was of an excellent quality and it was presented in a beautiful way and there was plenty of it.

For the Saturday we had planned to visit the National Gallery and in actual fact we spent the day the day there and also in Trafalgar Square. The hotel was situated fairly near the bus stop (number 15) for our journey to Trafalgar Square. In this respect, the hotel was central for our needs. We had an enjoyable stay in London and thus achieved our aims and objectives.

Room Tip: Our room number 120 on the first floor overlooked part of St Katherine's Dock. This view was qu...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChasNorthWales
GMTower, Manager at The Tower, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Hi Chas,

Thanks for the comments, we are pleased your enjoyed your time with us. We hope to welcome you back soon.

All the best,