“Great location. Shame about the service”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #258 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Booked a Xmas treat for girlfriend who loves the bridge since childhood and combined it with Xmas surprises including a proposal. Great start with check in and then the hotel let itself down immensely. Firstly the executive bar closed throughout Xmas and we were not told until arrival and after complaining offered no compensation. Various bars and restaurants closed during our 3 night stay again no per warning. Terrible customer relations.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terry S
GMTower, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Terry,
I would like to personally apologise for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests. I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct this for the future and improve our hotel policies. I would like to advise you the executive lounge was closed during this period due to the level of guests we had in the hotel, but we did have the hotel bar open for our guests as an alternative option. Again I would like to offer my sincere apologise if this was not communicated correctly and the staff at the hotel did not meet your expectations. I hope to welcome you to the hotel soon so we can rectify the issues you experienced, please contact me on billy.hughes@guoman.co.uk
Kind Regards
Billy Hughes

Write a ReviewReviews (7,103)

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I've stayed in this hotel 3 times and can.t fault it one bit. Excellent staff , rooms with great views over the Thames , comfy beds and great breakfast . Just 5 min walk from tower hill tube station. Would recommend .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank holly050
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I guess I could start by thanking TA reviewers because some of the more 'sensible' concerns (as opposed to those who seem to have stayed in a different hotel) gave me clues as to what to ask for and about.

I was also EXTREMELY lucky to have my initial fact-finding phone call answered by someone with a very high standard of customer service and a graciousness that never faltered (I have issues that mean I have contacted hotels & B&B's worldwide - & I can truly say that none has come up to this man's standards AND even more important, delivered all that was described and more.)

We had a perfectly fine room, everything functioned, & was clean enough, the shower pressure was adequate; we were concerned about the heating, given some reviews, but found we could control it sufficiently. The thing that this hotel should DEFINITELY ADVERTISE in bold, loud & clear, is that it has the best light blocking lining to its curtains I've come across (in these days of the insanity of thin white curtains, & including those fitted by law in Canada where it's part of an obligation to provide a good night's sleep).

We were guided away from possible sources of noise most effectively - we sacrificed the Tower Bridge view that was part of our group booking, I could see a bit of it on my tippy toes; the general location meant that we were always seeing delightful views which we didn't need during hours of sleep, though we were high enough to enjoy great river sunrises.

Breakfast was a bit pressured but we avoided the 'scrum' on our first morning, as we had to be out & ready by 9a.m, by having breakfast come to us.

All staff to whom we spoke were cordial & helpful, including the breakfast waiter with drinks/table clearing duties.

Nearby Butler's Wharf & St Katherine's Quay provide eateries: Tesco Express was a blessing! Boat stop right outside hotel was great!

Room Tip: Quiet room locations do exist if like me you have sleep issues & are wary of city centre hotels...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DCN
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The room was booked as part of the celebration of my 10 year old daughter's birthday. Having booked the hotel, I spoke to the hotel asking that they leave chocolates in our room as a surprise, which turned out to be flowers which were no good as we had travelled on the train. Our privacy in the room was disturbed by cleaning staff walking in. Once I had managed to track down a customer services manager, she put matters right and offered an upgrade in room, which we declined. Having ordered room service breakfast, we were disturbed by a telephone call demanding payment in advance. After 10 minutes I finally got the staff to understand I had left an open card swipe to pay. While eating breakfast, three further staff entered the room without invitation. The view from the room was fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Kind regards, Billy

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Used to be wonderful is now a waste of money. In personal and way to big. No facilities and a boiling hot airless room. Even though we upgraded to an "executive" waste of a 100 pounds. Room was serviced and the bottles of water and a half drunk can of lager from the night before were left on the night tables. Only in place to eat which looked dirty so we didn't bother! Checked out early and went to another hotel which was wonderful! Oh and don't expect a fully running shower, no water pressure on the 11th floor.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I would really like to personally look into the issues you’ve raised, please feel free to contact me on billy.hughes@guoman.co.uk. Kind regards, Billy

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We got off at tower hill tube station and had. 5/10 minute walk to the hotel ( nearer 5 minutes) first impressions were very good with the main reception area being rather big and looking fresh. I actually timed our checking which was also 2 hours early might I add and it only took 5 minutes even though there was a reasonable que. We asked for a sea view and we got one at no extra charge so try pull that card if you can. There are only 4 lifts which isn't alotmforma big place like this but never the less we got upto the 7th floor eventually. The room was abit small in my opinion but a nice view accompanied by free bottles wart and a firm bed I was very satisfied. The toilet facilities were very good,also very clean with free shampoos and all other parafanilia as you would expect. All in all nothing to complain about at all although the room was very very hot. Great quiet nights sleep as well. In conclusion I have no faults and the staff we're very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view with no extra charge
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Make sure you get a room with a view of Tower Bridge and the Thames. The rooms are great but nothing exceptional but the location is really superb. The reception area and restaurant were spacious and very pleasant. Seemed to be permanent queues at reception. Breakfast expensive if not included in the room rate. I was very impressed with the housekeeping manager who located an item I had left in my room and posted it to me.

Room Tip: Go for rooms on the higher floors overlooking the river and Tower Bridge.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business