“Great stay - mix of great and not so great”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #261 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and but there were pros and cons. The room had been booked for the night before and the hotel was informed my flight had been cancelled so would be arriving in the early morning - the room had been paid for from the night before so no need for an early check-in (which would have been the case had I arrived as originally planned) - better in a way so that I could go straight to the room and have a wee nap before starting my day.

I get to check-in and the receptionist says please give me a moment. After waiting about five minutes he comes back and says this is your room for now and come back after 3 pm and we will move you to a better room with a view of the Tower. I asked if the room was quiet and was told the room would be quiet and had a view over the Tower. The room the had been booked for a Tower view. I head to the room (Room 175). The housekeeping staff is busy in the hallway and great me. So far everything has gone well and everyone is very pleasant.

I then go into the room - straight on the roof and I open the window and all I can hear is the air conditioning/vent outside my room. I do not unpack as the "View" over the Tower is not great. I lie down on the bed to nap and know I will not sleep as the noise is dreadful, but I want the fresh air after traveling on the plane.

I go back down to reception and tell them that the room is too noisy. They look in the system and then give me a key for another room and tell me to come back after 3pm. I have worked out by this time that they had given away my "view" room.

I go to my new room - room 376. Much quieter. It is not a room overlooking the Tower or the Bridge but overlooking the marina at the back of the hotel. I open the window for fresh and it is quiet enough to sleep. After my nap and then unpack. I go down to reception and tell them I do not want to change rooms at this stage, but am very disappointed that my reserved room was given away even though the room had been paid for and they were notified I would be arriving late.

The room was a twin room, and how anyone over 5'7" can sleep on such a bed is beyond me. I would wake to find my feet sticking out the end of the bed.

The hotel appears to have a mix of high end and late 1990s touches. The shower is over the bath and has a light over the shower head and the water pressure is great, but the tap is somewhat old. The shampoo is a combined shampoo/conditioner rather than separate. And bring your own hairdryer - the one in the hotel is one of the older wall mounted styles and took me over 20 minutes to somewhat dry my hair.

Positives

So after all that, I would stay at this hotel again as they have tea/coffee with UHT milks. They also provide a bottle of sparkling water and a bottle of still water. There is a face washer/cloth. In-room safe.

And the location - you cannot beat the wonderful location - walked all along The Thames walk.

I used room service, and after a problem connecting with them on the first time I tried to call them, after that they were prompt and the food was tasty.

I also loved that ability to walk the stairs morning and night to/from my room.

And the windows open - love fresh air when I am travelling.

So would stay again but would not pay for a view room as not guaranteed to get the room you have booked and prepaid for.

Room Tip: Room 376 overlooks the marina at the back of the hotel and was clean and quiet but beware it has twi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank AussieNarelle

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was booked into the hotel by my office. First time I have stayed at a Guoman hotel and I was impressed with the physical state of the hotel, the staff and quality of the bedroom. The only meal I took in the hotel was breakfast, which I took in the 1st floor restaurant (opens 30 mins before the main restaurant) The staff were attentive and the hot buffet was fair/good. The continental breakfast selection was only average with a couple of cheeses and hams - a little more inspiration here would have been welcome.

Would be happy to stay at the Tower again

Room Tip: I had one of the back rooms away from the Thames but had an excellent view of St Katherine's Doc...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here overnight on the "Romance Package". Staff were excellent, fantastic view from the room which overlooked the river and Tower Bridge. The hotel is in a great location. Breakfast was a much better experience than last time we stayed a few years ago.
However, the standard room was clean with a very comfortable bed but was looking very tired and in need of redecoration/update.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river facing view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

It is quite expensive and that is reflected in the quality of the rooms and shared areas.

There are plenty of places to eat in St Katherine's Dock and rather that the breakfast go round the dock and you can get a full English for £6.50. Better view too!

Easy access to the sights and I would stay again.

Its about a £10 cab ride to Waterloo which I thought was good. The tube can get very sweaty when you have bags!

Room Tip: We had a view of the Tower and could just see the river and that was one of the lower cost rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here weekend 4-6th July, the hotel isn't good to look at on the outside but its really nice inside. Our bedroom was fine, reasonable size, spotlessly clean. The local is fantastic, didn't eat at the hotel, there are plenty of places to eat close buy. Easy walk to Tower Hill underground. Really enjoyed our weekend , would definitely stay again

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I visited this hotel 10 years ago for a conference and bought my husband to stay here for the weekend. Check in was great and we were upgraded to a river view room (bridge views had all gone - tour de france weekend). Our room was lovely and overlooked St Katherine's dock. it had everything we needed and was clean and tidy. The views of the bridge from outside are wonderful! We walked around St Katherine's dock and used the hotel as a base to walk to the Tower. We couldn't believe that more people weren't staying - rooms are cheap at the weekend and you are so close to the underground at Tower Hill with access to anywhere. The hotel is outside the congestion charge and has ample parking. We liked the small coffee bar too. Didn't eat in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view. Use car park and use hotel to visit Tower Bridge and the Tower of London.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We arrived early at the hotel and were greeted by a small queue for checking in. A member of staff was attentively buzzing around the queue handing out complimentary prosecco and apologising for the wait. We waited about 7 minutes in total so not long. We were allowed to check in 2 hrs early free of charge and concierge offered to help with our bags. We were on the 10th floor overlooking st Catherine's dock-and what a view!! A room was lovely and cosy. Some might say small but we found it perfect for our needs and a charming place to rest for the night. We watched the tall sail ships leaving from the docks... Great to see then went out for dinner and a walking tour. Lots of restaurants and bars within a 2 minute walk. We had a great evening and returned. Had a lovely hot bath....lots of hot water and then got into the very comfortable bed. The room was pitch black and quiet so we both slept for 9 hours which is unheard on in a hotel All in all a great stay, friendly attentive staff, lovely clean rooms with great views and comfy beds. Ideally located for the centre of London. Will definitely be recommending this hotel. Only down side perhaps is that the bathroom, although clean and well maintained (it had obviously just been redecorated) was a bit dated with grey tiles. That's it. Great hotel. Oh and they looked after our bags after we checked out-free of charge.

Room Tip: Ours was 1064 overlooking the docks.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple