“Not what I expected for a 4*”
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #264 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The common areas of this hotel are beautiful, the food and drink is of good quality and the views are spectacular. Despite this, the hotel is let down by outdated decor (at least in the room we stayed), lack of ice machine (although is available free of charge from room service), rubbish air conditioning in our room (but fine in the common areas), room service do not like to answer the phone; I had to call several times to get an answer and then a 35 min wait for a bucket of ice.

Also, there is a car park below the hotel. It's reasonably priced at £20 for 24 hours, but spaces are very limited and cannot be reserved in advance.

The breakfast was spectacular. If this was rated as a 3* hotel then I wouldn't moan about any of this, but you tend to expect more from a 4*.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sasha K
Write a ReviewReviews (7,342)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Had to stay at short notice for work in London and initially had difficulty finding a hotel near to where I wanted to be. Managed to get in at the Guoman Tower Hotel and what a nice surprise it was. Yes it was a cross between a business hotel and a tourist hotel, so style was was rather bland, but what a spot, at the side of the River Thames, overlooking Tower Bridge, walking distance to The Tower of London. My room was comfortable, clean, overlooked St Katherine's dock at the back and had a quiet nights sleep. Plenty of restaurants near by, plus a Tesco Express if you didn't want to eat out. Everyone was sat outside in the sun, really buzzing area. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a room at the back of the hotel, but still had view of St Katherine's dock and better for...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have just spent two nights here with my husband for our 10th wedding anniversary. excellent room very spacious. Because it was our anniversary (I had told them when I booked) we were given a complimentary upgrade to a room with a view of Tower bridge and a bottle of champagne in our room. The staff were very helpful and everywhere was spotless. On our last day we didn't leave London until tea time but were able to leave our luggage at the hotel all day free of charge. It was in a good spot for visiting many attractions, will stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bev D
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed in the Guoman Hotel (The Tower) for 5 nights whilst on a course in London which was held at International House. If you have a course there this hotel is in an excellent location as it is literally a few minutes walk to the International house entrance.

A few things to mention.. The rooms can be very expensive so my advice is book early. I was paying £250 a night for my 1st floor room (Breakfast not included and was an extra £20 a day if I wanted it) where as people on my course had better view rooms than me and were paying £190 a night.

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The aircon in my room was very loud and didn't cool the room very well, which was a bit of a pain as it was such a hot week.

The food in the hotel was nice but I feel on the too expensive side. £30 for a Burger, Chips, Garlic bread and a cider. (I have put a photo on this on this review). I had this on room service as was revising in the evenings for an exam which was an extra £5. I had curry on room service on one of the other nights and this was also very expensive for the portion I received (I have also uploaded a photo of this)

There is no viewing point in the hotel for photos of the Tower Bridge which I feel is a wasted opportunity as the views from the rooms on the Tower Bridge side are excellent. Unfortunately as I was on the first floor my view was obscured by a tree but it was still a great London view.

The décor of the rooms is very dated but the rooms are clean and well maintained.

To sum up.
A decent hotel which I would stay at again but I would book early to get the best deal.
Rooms need updating but at the moment they are still functional and well looked after, the food is nice but on the expensive side and the staff are all really helpful and polite.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SwampyAJC
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a one night stay at this very lovely hotel this afternoon. We had booked this hotel to celebrate our anniversary. The outside of the hotel is nothing to look at at all but the reception is light, airy, clean and fresh. The staff were very friendly and even on our way up to the room we were welcomed by the housekeeping staff. The actual room was nice, clean and fresh and all necessary amenities were provided, including a hairdryer that doesn't take all day to blow dry your hair!!! The view from our window was stunning.....we were in room 682 and looked out directly onto tower bridge. The atmosphere outside was friendly and vibrant.....the pop up bar was a great addition and my partner and I enjoyed a relaxing glass of Pimms whilst we watched the boats on the river. There was music playing and people having a good time. The location of the hotel was perfect and there is a Starbucks right next door to the hotel and a tesco express approx 30 seconds walk away. We visited
both of these whilst staying there. We had breakfast at the hotel this morning which was great value for £12 per person. The food was yummy and was displayed beautifully. Will definitely be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Donna0221
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Ugly on the ourside, but nice views from the inside on either the river or the Tower. Very small room that is cleverly organized so as to hold everything you need. helpful staff. Full breakfast at a modest price is a plus. Having to pay extra for the gym is definately not, considering the rate I paid. Will look for something one step up next time.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Marijn G
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and each time have had a fantastic stay, the staff are brilliant, cannot do enough for you and are always polite and extremely helpful.
Having stayed in a double room this trip overlooking tower bridge, this is a lovely room, very clean and just what is needed for a weekend break. Previously have stayed in a executive room which has all the benefits of using the suite for free drinks and snacks and breakfast etc.
This hotel is in a fantastic location, st Katherine's dock is a must as well as Butlers Wharf for dining. When staying here there are more seating areas outside the hotel and stalls selling snacks etc, the atmosphere is great for just sitting here having drink and watching the world go by or just enjoying the music. We were unable to park in the hotel but was guided to the car park opposite, this took around 5 minutes to get too and is £2 to park (weekend special rate all weekend). Takes less then ten mins to walk to hotel from car park, but note this is not always the case when staying at the hotel, the good weather and a wedding party being held just meant spaces were gone. Would just like to say thank you to Kamal for his assistance today when checking out. Excellent hotel, staff, food, situated in a great location.

Room Tip: overlooking tower bridge is a lovely view and room as well as overlooking st katherines dock, both g...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple