“Clean & quiet”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #592 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Just 1 night. Room spacious, quiet and clean. Good swimming pool & spa etc. Good bus connections close by.
Cafés close by if you want to avoid expensive hotel breakfasts.
Reception efficient and concierge seemed good. Facility to leave bags after booking out

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Martin
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found your room clean and comfortable .
Our breakfast is amazing and has a great varity of choices , with an omlette station where you can get eggs cooked to order. if you buy breakfast in advance at reception it is £12 .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate

There are newer reviews for Thistle City Barbican

Reviewed 4 November 2013

First, the good things: friendly, helpful staff, reasonably comfortable bed (awful lumpy pillows) and good food.
Now the problem: I was booked in as part of a large group. A walk in shower was requested as I am slightly disabled. On arrival, I find that this enormous hotel has precisely one room for disabled people and it had already been allocated. So if you want a shower, you have to climb into a rather high bath, with no hand rail located to help you in.
And the heating was not working in my room - stone cold radiator and towel rail. It is November.
The staff quickly arranged for me to have an electric convector heater. Plenty of room for improvement.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read your positive comments in regards to the team and overall comfort
of the hotel . However I was sorry to read that we could not accommodate your request for an
accessible shower . The hotel only has one accessible room and a limited number of rooms with a seperate shower cubicle , these unfortunately were in use at the time.
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate .

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked this trip in the school holidays so to get a family room for 3 nights for £400 I wasnt expecting much. How wrong could I be. Our room was huge with a queen sized bed in one part and a separate living room with a sofa bed in another, both areas had its own TV's. Loads of wardrobe and drawer space a desk and a anothrr dressing table. The staff were so attentive and helpful begining with a telephone call a week before our trip from the customer relationship manager making contact in case we needed anything before or during our stay. The bar staff we equally helpful and extremely pleasant. The hotel is also the quietest I have ever stayed in. No banging doors or people shouting in the corridors. Not really in the best location for us in regard to where we wanted to get to in London but this wasnt a problem as this brilliant hotel made up for it.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that the hotel exceeded your expectations and that you all enjoyed your stay.
Thank you for your very positive comments in regards to the team .
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Not a pleasant walk to this hotel and not comfortable to be doing alone, even at the early time of 530pm. The communcal area of the bar does not reflect the 3 bars identified on the web pages, its one area, in reception, serving mediocre food at exhorbitant prices. The room I was given was tiny, grubby, and had no air con, the window did not shut so though this may have kept the temperature below 25 degrees, the noise of local youths was ever audible. The desk was inadequate for any kind of work, so free wifi is worthless in this hotel. The chair provided was so low that even with the cushions provided, I was unable to work. I was moved to another room away from the road, which was equally small, desk and chair still useless, but at least it was quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us . Our single rooms are compact but you should be able to use all the facilities we offer when staying in them . I am sorry that the chair in the room did not allow you to use the free WIFI.
Thank you for you feedback which we appreciate

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Although not expecting much after reading reviews on Trip Advisor, pleased to say that room was clean and tidy and surprisingly quiet location. Fairly basic I suppose, but we had all we needed for a one night stop for a Barbican concert. (within 10 minutes walking distance) Staff very pleasant, helpful and friendly. Easy to check in and out. Only 10 minutes walk to Barbican and Old Street Underground stations. Obviously everything is very expensive in London, but food was excellent in restaurant. Breakfast cost us £12 each but well worth it to save wandering the streets to look for something cheaper. Lots of choice and all we could eat...loved it!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Brian
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the lovely comments about the team .
The food in our restaurant is good and our breakfast is amazing with such a good selection of items . Priced at £12 it is good value for money.
Thank you for your feedback and I hope we do have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel on a future occasion

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Location may not seem to be the best but it is very close to the City and various tube lines. Excellent breakfast & service so overall good value for money. Some rooms are a little tired but others are very good.

Room Tip: Avoid being at the front on the road
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin A
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Martin A
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thsitle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed youir stay . Thank you for the very positive feedback
in regards to the team and breakfast
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Location: handy for Barbican and Moorgate tube stations, Barbican Centre etc. all 10-15 mins walk, easy walking into the heart of the City. However, not a nice area and for the last 200 metres once off the main road I was not at all happy to be walking alone after dark.

Facilities: the single room I was assigned in the annexe building was very small although admittedly no worse than most London hotels. Nowhere to tuck away a case unless you can manoeuvre it onto the top of the wardrobe, though you need to keep it out to store your clothes as I shall explain...

There was an over-bath shower but I would have preferred a decent shower cubicle in the same space. The toilet roll holder, for some unfathomable reason, is far away from the loo and has to be balanced on the edge of the bath for practical access.

The bedroom has a trouser press, but no adequate hanging space as the bottom of the wardrobe is occupied by the safe, Gideon Bible and spare pillows. The small table under the TV was almost entirely taken up by the meagre supplies of tea and coffee making stuff. The electrical socket there is fitted so tight against the worktop that you cannot use it for a moulded plug or phone charger. Also as it is a single socket you have to unplug the TV to boil the kettle!

The so-called desk next to the bed is similarly tiny, being completely occupied by the bedside lamp and the usual blizzard of cardboard pyramids advertising breakfast, their environmental policy and similar tosh. Same problem with electrical socket - you cannot plug in laptop or phone charger as the socket is tight to the work surface.

The only usable socket is ON TOP OF THE WARDROBE! Genius...

There is not a single drawer available for clothing, so you have to live out of your suitcase, and the shelf in the top of the wardrobe is occupied by the iron and hair-dryer.

Decor and furniture: dated and grubby. Peeling and filthy wallpaper, bathroom door cracking and peeling, no fan in bathroom. No aircon or heating controls. My window opened to a flat roof that was stacked with noisy aircon units for the public areas below. The curtains would not fully meet so the room was not dark and made it difficult to sleep because of lights from windows opposite and general orange urban glow. Carpet badly stained. Wooden furniture chipped and delaminating. Hairs (short curly ones...) around edge of bath. Corners of bathroom floor dirty.

All in all very poor value and I cannot recommend it. I would sooner stay in a cheaper hotel further out and spend the difference on taxi fares. I cannot comment on breakfast as I was keen to get out and decided to make alternative arrangements.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Devon1964

Dear Devon 1964
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle city Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and was not happy with your single room.
Our single rooms are compact but even so , everything should be in working order , suitable for use and clean.
We appreciate your feedback which we will act upon