“Not a thrilling experience”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #613 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Reading, United Kingdom
“Not a thrilling experience”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My room was definitely a single! The bath was very narrow and small with mould patches around the bath. Plug sockets fitted to wall wonky and peeling wallpaper.
Thought I was being burgled in the middle of the night, it was the room next door letting themselves in. Hardly slept for traffic noises, sirens and drunken people out late at night.
Went for dinner and was trying to stick to my budget paid by company when at checkout seemed to be over my budget due to a gratuity charge they dumped on the price of the meal! Don't ask for directions to anywhere from the evening staff, just as well I checked in the morning as was provided the wrong directions!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback .
I am sorry that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stay and found the room to be noisey , our rooms are double glazed but on occasions the noises of a busy city do intrude
We do add service charge to our restauarnt bills which is discretionary I am sorry that this was not made clear to you as we would quite happily remove the charge if you do not wish to pay.
We appreciate your comments .
Jane and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Our room in the annex was quite small and dated and poorly soundproofed. The area isn't great and we didn't find an alternative eating in the area as it was a Sunday afternoon. That said, the hotel food was good but the bar prices were very steep. Breakfast the following morning was one of the best I've ever had and the friendly staff coped admirably. We were part of a package and were taken everywhere by coach so the location wasn't paramount but I doubt I would stay again unless on business in the City. If you were travelling on your own, it would be quite a trek to the West End and major tourist attractions.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for your feedback .
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought the breakfast was fantastic.
We believe we have one of the best breakfasts in London and certainley one of the best selections.
I will pass on your positive comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion
Mickleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was not looking forward to my stay.
I must say that on arrival reception appeared to be overwhelmed by the number of people trying to check in. This meant a long wait for a room, The staff however were polite and trying their best to deal with the situation.
When we got to our room you could say it looked a trifle tired but it was spotlessly clean, of a reasonable size, the beds were comfortable and all ammenities were there.We turned the radiator off and by the time we returned fro the concert the room was cool and we had a good nights sleep.
With the delay at check in we had to eat in the hotel, again service was slow because of the same volume of people. The food however was fine, not a great choice but freshly cooked and reasonably priced.
At breakfast we wanted a table for 4, we waited less thn 5 minutes for this. An excellent choice of hot and cold food .I was impressed by the way the hot food was replaced quickly, not huge amounts being kept hot for ages. The staff were superb, polite, efficient, and totally on top of their jobs.
All in all I thought this hotel was value for money and overall I enjoyed my stay. I would happily stay here again.
I thnk some of the previous reviewers must have stayed somewhere else!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your very positve comments about the hotel .
I am really pleased that we exceeded your expectations and will share your very positive
review with the team.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel on a future occasion
essex
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I had some concerns after booking this theatre break when I read some of the negative comments on here. I can only conclude that some people just enjoy moaning,we found this hotel to be outstanding. All the staff were polite,helpful & enthusiastic,the room was immaculate,comfortable & well equipped & the breakfast was absolutely lovely. Also there are not many London hotels with swimming pools & spas so this was a right bonus. There were complaints about location but it was only 10 mins walk to the tube (Barbican) so don't know what the fuss was about,we would definite stay again.

Stayed November 2013
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your great comments about the hotel .
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we will see you again
in the future
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

One of the smallest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Dated. There's no soundproofing so heard my neighbour who seemed to be vomiting for an hour or so early in the morning which was unfortunate. Lovely pool though but be aware that swimming lessons may mean that you can't use it when you want. The staff were nice. Area not nice. Not cheap. Would avoid staying here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was sorry to read that you felt the room was small and that you did not like the area , which is very up and coming with a lot of new development and exciting bars and restaurants .
Thank you for your very positive comments in regards to the team and our leisure club.
We appreciate your feedback
Kind regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here alone on business. The hotel is modern, clean and functional if not particularly exciting. Room was clean, in good condition and perfectly acceptable. The location is a little out-of-the-way (not really city or Barbican) but the prices often reflect this. Still only a couple of minutes to bus routes and a couple more to Old St tube. The pool is a nice bonus although I didn't visit it. Breakfast was good.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear reviewer
Thank you for your very positve comments about the hotel .
I am very pleased that we meet all your needs as a business traveller .
Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel
on a future occasion
Kind regards
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Room was clean but stuffy and hot even with windows open and needed re-decorating badly
Pre-payed for breakfast don't bother !! Worst part of the stay !! After waiting 10 min for lift as one was out of order then walked down five flights of stairs, we were expected to que for a breakfast table witch made us late for our appointments witch would have been fine if the food was any good but it's was terrible and I do mean terrible
Only parking for 10 cars ? In London ? Come on !

Hotel ok,
breakfast waste of time
Parking, find your own
Value, for a London hotel ok at the best

• Stayed November 2013
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience which is usually a
very positive experience for our guests and we gets lots of good feedback in regards to quality and selection of products and the team . It is disappointing that we did not get this right in your eyes.
In regards to our parking with do only have 10 spaces which is what we advertise and we are one of the only hotels in the area that have parking , but there are carparks near by and parking on the street which does have time restrictions.
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate