“Not good, not bad”

Ranked #589 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Roma
“Not good, not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I went there with a special offer in a critical period of the year, so my accomodation was not the best. However, I felt quite confortable and the price was ok. The location is a bit far from metro station (10-15 mins walking) but still ok for London. Gym and wellness center (though too small for me) are a big plus for the place. You can go there without worries, but maybe search for something else first.

Room Tip: I went there with a special offer in a critical period of the year, so my accomodation was not the b...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Antonio M
Thank you so much for you feedback .
I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and glad to read that
you felt the leisure club was a plus.
I hope we will see you again
Jane and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in November. Not situated right in the centre of London but all the major attractions are within easy reach. We were offered an upgrade upon arrival. Room was decent, clean beds and bathroom. Excellent choice at breakfast, full English and continental. Staff were pleasant. Overall a good stay

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sheddz

Thank you for your comments on the hotel , I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the bed room to be comfortable and clean.
The breakfast is great and I believe has one of the best selections in London so it is good to read that you enjoyed it.
I will pass on your comments to the team
We hope to welcome you back in the future
Best Wishes
lincoln-england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here on an overnight trip to the royal Albert hall . Our room was very nice and very well equipped with tea making facilities hair dryer iron and ironing board flat screen TV . Nice bathroom with shower and plenty of towels - the bed was very comfortable we had a good nights sleep even though this is a city hotel and has shops and restaurants nearby .
Breakfast was fabulous - hot cooked bacon eggs sausage - also cereals pastries fruit yogurts ,and it was replenished very quickly . Staff were very helpful and polite I requested some extra milk for our room and the housekeeper brought them up to our room in no time . I will book this hotel again and recommend it to friends .

Room Tip: 2109 room on second floor .
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your lovely comments about our hotel .
I am was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments on to the team
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion
Best Wishes
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

My room was definitely a single! The bath was very narrow and small with mould patches around the bath. Plug sockets fitted to wall wonky and peeling wallpaper.
Thought I was being burgled in the middle of the night, it was the room next door letting themselves in. Hardly slept for traffic noises, sirens and drunken people out late at night.
Went for dinner and was trying to stick to my budget paid by company when at checkout seemed to be over my budget due to a gratuity charge they dumped on the price of the meal! Don't ask for directions to anywhere from the evening staff, just as well I checked in the morning as was provided the wrong directions!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback .
I am sorry that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stay and found the room to be noisey , our rooms are double glazed but on occasions the noises of a busy city do intrude
We do add service charge to our restauarnt bills which is discretionary I am sorry that this was not made clear to you as we would quite happily remove the charge if you do not wish to pay.
We appreciate your comments .
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Our room in the annex was quite small and dated and poorly soundproofed. The area isn't great and we didn't find an alternative eating in the area as it was a Sunday afternoon. That said, the hotel food was good but the bar prices were very steep. Breakfast the following morning was one of the best I've ever had and the friendly staff coped admirably. We were part of a package and were taken everywhere by coach so the location wasn't paramount but I doubt I would stay again unless on business in the City. If you were travelling on your own, it would be quite a trek to the West End and major tourist attractions.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for your feedback .
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thought the breakfast was fantastic.
We believe we have one of the best breakfasts in London and certainley one of the best selections.
I will pass on your positive comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion
Mickleton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was not looking forward to my stay.
I must say that on arrival reception appeared to be overwhelmed by the number of people trying to check in. This meant a long wait for a room, The staff however were polite and trying their best to deal with the situation.
When we got to our room you could say it looked a trifle tired but it was spotlessly clean, of a reasonable size, the beds were comfortable and all ammenities were there.We turned the radiator off and by the time we returned fro the concert the room was cool and we had a good nights sleep.
With the delay at check in we had to eat in the hotel, again service was slow because of the same volume of people. The food however was fine, not a great choice but freshly cooked and reasonably priced.
At breakfast we wanted a table for 4, we waited less thn 5 minutes for this. An excellent choice of hot and cold food .I was impressed by the way the hot food was replaced quickly, not huge amounts being kept hot for ages. The staff were superb, polite, efficient, and totally on top of their jobs.
All in all I thought this hotel was value for money and overall I enjoyed my stay. I would happily stay here again.
I thnk some of the previous reviewers must have stayed somewhere else!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your very positve comments about the hotel .
I am really pleased that we exceeded your expectations and will share your very positive
review with the team.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel on a future occasion
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I had some concerns after booking this theatre break when I read some of the negative comments on here. I can only conclude that some people just enjoy moaning,we found this hotel to be outstanding. All the staff were polite,helpful & enthusiastic,the room was immaculate,comfortable & well equipped & the breakfast was absolutely lovely. Also there are not many London hotels with swimming pools & spas so this was a right bonus. There were complaints about location but it was only 10 mins walk to the tube (Barbican) so don't know what the fuss was about,we would definite stay again.

Stayed November 2013
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your great comments about the hotel .
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we will see you again
in the future