“Expected a lot more from Thistle”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #609 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Expected a lot more from Thistle”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The reception area is very modern, however it provides a misleading perception of the hotel itself. The rooms are very dated and a desperate need of a refurb (it wasn't great neither than the noisy air con kick started and woke me up quite early in the morning). The breakfast was in contrast very good. I would give this hotel a miss in future though.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 16 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I am sorry that you felt your room was dated and thzat the air conditioning disturbed your sleep .
However I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast concept
Jane and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
York
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I arrived was colleagues and my room was accross the road in the annex. The room was a double although you would hardly fit 2 people in the room and the bed was pushed up against the wall. Bathroom very dated. Reception staff were nice at check in. Check out took forever. Breakfast was ok but nothing amazing. We had dinner which was very average and took a long time to arrive.

• Stayed December 2013
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was sorry to read that you felt your room was dated and that your meals were just ok.
We pride ourselves on our breakfast selection and have had such positive feedback.
We appreciate your comments
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night recently. The reviews on here made me a bit uncertain of how it would be. I needn't have worried. I was given a premier room in the main building which was massive with a work area separate from the bed area. The free wifi was very useful as I had work to do. It was very quick with Speedtest reporting 15mbps! My colleagues and I ate in the bar which was very pleasant and reasonably priced for London.
The down side is the location - 10/15 minute walk from the nearest tube. It's situated away from main roads in a residential area, so walking at night may concern some people. I didn't have problems at all.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your very positve review of the hotel .
I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities we offer .
Yes we are a 10 minute walk from the tube station but you do have access to great transport links
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate and look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed here for one night, on check in the receptionist was very helpful although the hotel did not get the booking correct regarding the payment.

My room was a good size and it was very clean with tea and coffee facilities and even an iron everything in the room worked very well, there was even a ceiling fan.

I sorted out the payment ok and went down for breakfast the next morning, it was nice to see an omelette station which you don't see too often in the country. So I chose a ham and mushroom omelette I should have realised it was not going to be good when I saw the jug of liquid egg rather than fresh eggs, the omelette was horrid too much oil and powdered egg -not good, so I thought I would have some scrambled egg but oh dear this must have been made with a powdered substitute, if you have used fresh eggs then I don't know what you have done with it and to charge me £12 for breakfast was ridiculous. This has really let you down.
WI-FI was provided free (as it should be) but it would not allow me to connect to my companies VPN network so I was not able to check my emails.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the quieter area of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 9 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the rooms comfortable and clean .
I was disappointed to read your commenst about breakfast as we are very proud of the selection we offer , with the eggs we do use fresh in all areas , and never powder , so I am disappointed that you did not enjoy them and I will pass your comments on to the chef
Thank you for your feedback which we will act upon
Best wishes Jane and team
Roma
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I went there with a special offer in a critical period of the year, so my accomodation was not the best. However, I felt quite confortable and the price was ok. The location is a bit far from metro station (10-15 mins walking) but still ok for London. Gym and wellness center (though too small for me) are a big plus for the place. You can go there without worries, but maybe search for something else first.

Room Tip: I went there with a special offer in a critical period of the year, so my accomodation was not the b...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Antonio M
Thank you so much for you feedback .
I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and glad to read that
you felt the leisure club was a plus.
I hope we will see you again
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in November. Not situated right in the centre of London but all the major attractions are within easy reach. We were offered an upgrade upon arrival. Room was decent, clean beds and bathroom. Excellent choice at breakfast, full English and continental. Staff were pleasant. Overall a good stay

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sheddz

Thank you for your comments on the hotel , I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the bed room to be comfortable and clean.
The breakfast is great and I believe has one of the best selections in London so it is good to read that you enjoyed it.
I will pass on your comments to the team
We hope to welcome you back in the future
lincoln-england
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here on an overnight trip to the royal Albert hall . Our room was very nice and very well equipped with tea making facilities hair dryer iron and ironing board flat screen TV . Nice bathroom with shower and plenty of towels - the bed was very comfortable we had a good nights sleep even though this is a city hotel and has shops and restaurants nearby .
Breakfast was fabulous - hot cooked bacon eggs sausage - also cereals pastries fruit yogurts ,and it was replenished very quickly . Staff were very helpful and polite I requested some extra milk for our room and the housekeeper brought them up to our room in no time . I will book this hotel again and recommend it to friends .

Room Tip: 2109 room on second floor .
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your lovely comments about our hotel .
I am was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments on to the team
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion