“Nice staff shame about the service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thistle City Barbican

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #579 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Nice staff shame about the service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here last night as we were going to The Barbican Theatre, which is only 15 minutes walk away. Our double room was OK, but the decor was a bit tired; I couldn't work out if the paintwork was trying to be shabby chic or it was just very badly done. The latter I fear.The bed was very comfortable and it was very quiet, so we have a very good night's sleep. They were a bit stingey with the complimentary tea and coffee and we bought some extra milk from the corner shop. The TV was not up to standard - who has a mono TV these days? Our main beef was when we came down to breakfast to be confronted with a huge queue for the restaurant As far as we could see there were plenty of vacant tables and it was a buffet, so I am guessing it was just very badly organised. This might be excusable in some tiny seaside hotel, but this is major group hotel in the middle of the City of London, which must get more than its fair share of business clients, so providing a buffet-style breakfast should not be a major issue. We gave up and got breakfast on the train, so we saved a few quid at least.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Stuart A
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was pleased to read that you had a comfortable nights sleep but sorry to read that you were not able to enjoy our breakfast . On occasions at peak times there may be a small queue for breakfast but this is normally dealt with very quickly . I am sorry that on this occasion our organisation seems to have failed us, which will be looked in to.
I am pleased to see that you felt the team on duty were pleasant .
We appreciate your feedback .
Jane and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Nice reception and restaurant/bar area, excellent quality breakfast which was included in my stay. Rooms can be very dated, newer rooms are in the main building which houses the reception, however these are still in need of an update/complete refurbishment. Facilities make this place with a free of charge gym, swimming pool and sauna which is open most hours. Much better service and facilities than other hotels but the trade off is with the quality and age of the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for room in main building which is where reception is located.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Matt

Thank you for your very positve review of the hotel . I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the facilities offer .
100 of our standard rooms in the front building were redecorated last year . The majority of the room in the main building are called Premium and they have additional facilities such as air conditioning and are slightly larger with traditional decor .
We appreciate your feedback especially in regards to the team which I will share with them .
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion .
Leicester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Me & my daughter stayed here last night we went to watch Olympia horse show, reception wouldn't let us check in till after 4pm. So the coach took us straight to Olympia, we checked in at 11.30pm to be told out room was over the road, in another building.
You couldn't swing a cat in our twin room very small & stuffy with hard mattresses and bed pushed up against the wall and next to headboard was a kettle?? . Fuzzy tv and chipped paint on walls Eventually doozed off to be woken around 5am to bins being emptied.
Staff worked hard to ensure breakfast was served we queued up for half an hour as there was apparently 6 coach loads all been told to come down for breakfast between 8-9am. We only had 10 minutes to eat before coach set off. Would not rate it as a 4• more like a 2• some big improvements need to occur.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear reviewer
Thank you for your review of the hotel . I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your room .
Check in time for all large parties is 4pm so we can ensure all your rooms were ready this was
told to your tour operator and it was their choice to check in after the event . Our breakfast is served from 6.30am and guests can come down at any time, if you all of your party were advised by your tour guides to come down between 8am and 9 am there would be a wait for tables , we try always to minimise the time people have to wait . I am sorry we failed on this occasion and it left you with a bad impression of the hotel.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I don't know if I got lucky but one of the best hotel nights sleep I have had. Downside it is not as close to a tube as I would have liked and I would not want to walk about after dark alone but a good night's sleep is priceless. Breakfast was very good too.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your feedback . I was so pleased to read that you had a good nights sleep
which is essential when working away . Thank you for your very positve comments about breakfast which we are very proud of.
Ha\ppy Christmas
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I've just checked in following a 12 hour working day only to be directed not to the wrong room but the wrong building.

The room has a late 80's feel to it, a bed against the wall? I'm not 5 years old!

Room service was prompt - say 10 min, but the food was sadly lacking - greasy, poor quality and certainly not fresh.

Thank the lord I'm only stopping one night - absolutely vile.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
Dear Jason

Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and found our single rooms small.
We appreciate your feedback .
Have a happy Christmas and prosperous New Year
Best wishes
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Not far from Buckingham palace and several other sights. Breakfast was good. Room was small and the décor is outdated. I traveled alone (on business and company booked rm for me) and the room I was given was a double single. I was so tired when I got there that the bed was fine. If I booked a personal trip I would look for something a bit more comfortable.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Jim F
Thank you for your review of the hotel .
I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the location good for traveling around
London.
Merry Christmas
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was so excited to spend time in London and my trip mainly to see Richard ii at the barbican , I found the hotel which is only a short walk from old street tube station, on entrance to the reception I was pleased with the overall style and the receptionist was very helpful. When I was handed my room card/ key I was told my room was over the road in the other part of the hotel, almost put me off staying then ! When i entered my room I was very disapointed yes I had booked a single room but find mydelf in asmall box room, with peeling walpaper walls so thin they must be made of paper , very tired furniture thst should be in the skip and the tv so fuzzy its like watching a snow storm. I ventured down to the bar for a pre dinner snack and was told they wouldnt be serving hot food until 6 pm !
What a complete let down , I strolled around the area loking for an eatery but could only find costa and pizza express thst looked inviting apart from a few takeaways not much choice.
I regularly stay in hotels as psrt of my job is working away from home and even the premiere inn aee better standard than this I certainly wont be staying here again . The rooms need sound proofing and updating and all rooms should be non smoking mine wss very smelly. Do not stay here unless you bring ear plugs and your own food.

Room Tip: There arnt any good rooms the traffic is quieter than the rooms next door to me
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel .
I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with your single room and that my team were not more flexible when you were asking about food options ..
Our restaurant opens for dinner at 5.30pm and until this time we have a grab and go concept in our commotion bar which offers hot and cold sandwiches and salads and a 24 hour room service menu .if this was not to your liking we should have offered you dishes from the room service menu down stairs . I will address this point with my team .
Thank you for your feedback which we talk extremely seriously
Merry Christmas