“Not as good as my first stay the week before”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #615 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Glasgow
“Not as good as my first stay the week before”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The main lift was n/a in the evening - unbelievable there is only one. I used the stairs but saw people struggling with cases upon arrival.

My Aircon was not working – reported to reception. During the night it was so noisy - with continuous dripping water that I had to switch it off.

Again lack of accessible sockets – two in whole room. None beside bed for charging phone during the night.

I guess it's all down to the luck of the room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write another review on the Thistle City Barbican
I am disappointed to read that your second visit was not as successful as the first .
We have over a 6 month period had our main lifts replaced and this has meant that we have had a lift out of action for a period of time , unfortunately this has been unavoidable. This project has now been completed .
Thank you for your feedback and if you do consider returning , please contact me directly so that I can oversee the details of your booking.
Jane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Typical tired London 4* hotel. So long since last refit the chrome was worn off the bathroom fittings. Pillows on bed were so large and stuffed they give a stiff neck. Restaurant was cold, food was not really good quality and expensive. Ordered burger and chips and that's what I got, served on a board, no Salad or anything else. Bun was dry and chips were frozen fries. A better meal can be got in McDonalds for a tenth of the price. Drinks usual hotel rip off prices. Cost more for a half pint bottle than a pub charges for a pint. Only highlight was breakfast which was good with a good selection, although I think if you pay separately for it, it is about £16, certainly not worth that price. London hotels really need to get their act together.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Doug R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican .
I was disappointed to read some of your feedback and sorry that you found the restaurant cold
and did not enjoy your dinner . However I was very pleased to read your comments about our
breakfast .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate and will act upon
Somerset
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed here over a two-week period on business. Staying here made me feel depressed. The first week was spent in a large room, while the second was in a twin room - both were in need of a serious makeover. The foyer and reception area look lovely, but once you're on the floor leading to your room, the dirty carpet smell hits you - particularly on the second floor, where the carpet is also torn.
The windows in the room do not seal properly and so there is a constant cold draught coming in from outside. I found this to be the case in both rooms I stayed in.
The cleaning staff, while they do a pretty good job, are very inconsistent - some days, the bathroom was cleaned, and others it was not. Some days, the coffee, milk and biscuits were replenished, other days I didn't receive any of these things.
The food in this hotel is expensive. I have had the misfortune of ordering from the restaurant on two occasions - both times, the food was very not pleasant. The pasta was extremely oily, and the burger meat tastes awful.
Breakfast is another terrible experience. Initially, I was seated and provided with coffee every morning, but as the staff became more familiar with me, they told me to grab any table, and I had to run after them to ask for coffee, which is highly unprofessional. I only tried the baked bread on one day - it was stale. The cheeses, fruits and cold meats are left to stand from day to day - I noted the same food had been left out from one week to another. (Note: the fruit that is for sale in the restaurant/bar is actually left over from the breakfast, and not the freshest at all.) The open yoghurt in the bowls that can be dished in portions appeared very runny (leading me to think that this was old too), so I stuck to the yoghurt in sealed pots.
I felt uneasy in the lift - one was frequently out of order, and the other made strange noises and bumps when moving upwards. It also frequently indicated the wrong floor.
The staff is otherwise very friendly, and getting a taxi is really easy as the concierge does this for you.
The hotel also has free wifi, so that's why I gave them one star...
I hope I don't have to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Mandy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stays with us , when you are away from home for any length of time it is so important that we get things right.
I was very disappointed to read your comments about breakfast, which receives so many positve reviews I can assure you that the food is fresh and is regularly replaced in line with all food safety regulations . In relation to the lifts these have all been replaced over the last 6 months we did have teething problems with one lift which has now been resolved .
I am really sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and would ask that if you are booked into the hotel on a future occasion that you contact me directly so that I can over see the details of your booking
Best Wishes
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Thistle City Barbican on the 18 January 2014 for one night. I have to be honest and say that after reading the reviews I was not looking forward to it, but I have to say that the room we had was very clean and well presented. The choice of foods available for breakfast was superb and we could not fault any of it. I would say to anyone reading the negative reviews to come and see for yourselves that this a a well run city hotel. I for one will come again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne W
Dear Anne W
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
i was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay .
We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back on a
future occasion .
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Only staying for one night but the premier room was clean, with every facility we needed and with a very comfortable bed. We also had a great view over London towards the Shard. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I can recommend the mango panna cotta desert at dinner it was delicious and very well presented.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back on a future
occasion
Best Wishes
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Thought I was paying for a business class brand and expected better for a London hotel. Talked into an upgrade from a business single to a "beautiful double almost suite like"
Nothing special queen sized room needing a refurb is what I received.
Came down for a bar snack as time was moving on, lo
Sirloin and chips: steak cold and wet in the middle suggesting frozen, garnish non existent, half a mushroom small basket of oven chips.
What a joke.
Stella, warm tasteless could not believe it.
Cost £19.99 for the steak
Cost £9.50 for two warm largers
Then vat added plus 12.5% service charge added.
Total £33,15p. Actually gave a tip for the service not the meal before realising vat and enforced service charge applied already.
Staff friendly but prepare to feel shafted.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank 1212121000
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you were disappointed with your meal . All of our food and drink prices are inclusive of VAT but we do add a 12.5% service charge to the bill which is discretionary .I will ensure that our team make this clear to all guests .
jane
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I don't know why some of the reviews on here are so bad - we thought this hotel was great. We arrived early and were allowed to check in and go to our room a few hours before the usual 2pm check in. We were also given a complimentary upgrade to a queen premier room which was huge! Everything was nice and clean - the only thing I would say is that I thought the mattress was quite hard. It is situated a ten minute walk from Old Street tube station but it's not too bad a walk and the concierge was more than happy to arrange a taxi for us to Leicester Square. Overall, I would definitely stay again and recommend to friends - just wish we could have stayed a bit longer and tried out the spa facilities.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your positive feedback
in regards to the service you received and the hotels location .
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion
Happy New Year