Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
US$215
US$188
galahotels.com
3,401 results
All reviewsold street tube stationsteam roomtheatre breaktea and coffeegood nights sleepfull englishwest endtaxisshoreditch
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed for 1 night at this hotel 25th January. Check in was good , helpful friendly staff. Our room was comfortable very clean however could have been better- at least some complimentary bottled water in the fridge would have been nice if nothing else. Good selection at breakfast and staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Anita P
Thank you for writing a review of thwe Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed one night mid-week and had a very pleasant check-in and welcome. Room 1313 was comfy - few things (e.g. no back to the remote, light not working) that I reported which were well received and an apology given; bristles in the bathroom sink horrible. Pool was very nice except for the scum line which again I reported. Steam room lovely. I didn't eat dinner but breakfast was very good. Prices here the same as any London hotel, really. Customer service and attitude from all staff excellent. So, with attention to detail this hotel could be unbeatable. Quiet location gave a good sleep, but it's a fair old walk from the nearest tube: I took taxis which is about a tenner into town. So all in all, I can recommend and would stay here again. Hope to see the changes next time as they're easy to make.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank WiltshirePhilippa
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Phillipa

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican . We really do appreciate your constructive feedback and I am sorry that our attention to detail in several areas
let us down .
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The main lift was n/a in the evening - unbelievable there is only one. I used the stairs but saw people struggling with cases upon arrival.

My Aircon was not working – reported to reception. During the night it was so noisy - with continuous dripping water that I had to switch it off.

Again lack of accessible sockets – two in whole room. None beside bed for charging phone during the night.

I guess it's all down to the luck of the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write another review on the Thistle City Barbican
I am disappointed to read that your second visit was not as successful as the first .
We have over a 6 month period had our main lifts replaced and this has meant that we have had a lift out of action for a period of time , unfortunately this has been unavoidable. This project has now been completed .
Thank you for your feedback and if you do consider returning , please contact me directly so that I can oversee the details of your booking.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Typical tired London 4* hotel. So long since last refit the chrome was worn off the bathroom fittings. Pillows on bed were so large and stuffed they give a stiff neck. Restaurant was cold, food was not really good quality and expensive. Ordered burger and chips and that's what I got, served on a board, no Salad or anything else. Bun was dry and chips were frozen fries. A better meal can be got in McDonalds for a tenth of the price. Drinks usual hotel rip off prices. Cost more for a half pint bottle than a pub charges for a pint. Only highlight was breakfast which was good with a good selection, although I think if you pay separately for it, it is about £16, certainly not worth that price. London hotels really need to get their act together.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Doug R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican .
I was disappointed to read some of your feedback and sorry that you found the restaurant cold
and did not enjoy your dinner . However I was very pleased to read your comments about our
breakfast .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate and will act upon

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed here over a two-week period on business. Staying here made me feel depressed. The first week was spent in a large room, while the second was in a twin room - both were in need of a serious makeover. The foyer and reception area look lovely, but once you're on the floor leading to your room, the dirty carpet smell hits you - particularly on the second floor, where the carpet is also torn.
The windows in the room do not seal properly and so there is a constant cold draught coming in from outside. I found this to be the case in both rooms I stayed in.
The cleaning staff, while they do a pretty good job, are very inconsistent - some days, the bathroom was cleaned, and others it was not. Some days, the coffee, milk and biscuits were replenished, other days I didn't receive any of these things.
The food in this hotel is expensive. I have had the misfortune of ordering from the restaurant on two occasions - both times, the food was very not pleasant. The pasta was extremely oily, and the burger meat tastes awful.
Breakfast is another terrible experience. Initially, I was seated and provided with coffee every morning, but as the staff became more familiar with me, they told me to grab any table, and I had to run after them to ask for coffee, which is highly unprofessional. I only tried the baked bread on one day - it was stale. The cheeses, fruits and cold meats are left to stand from day to day - I noted the same food had been left out from one week to another. (Note: the fruit that is for sale in the restaurant/bar is actually left over from the breakfast, and not the freshest at all.) The open yoghurt in the bowls that can be dished in portions appeared very runny (leading me to think that this was old too), so I stuck to the yoghurt in sealed pots.
I felt uneasy in the lift - one was frequently out of order, and the other made strange noises and bumps when moving upwards. It also frequently indicated the wrong floor.
The staff is otherwise very friendly, and getting a taxi is really easy as the concierge does this for you.
The hotel also has free wifi, so that's why I gave them one star...
I hope I don't have to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Mandy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stays with us , when you are away from home for any length of time it is so important that we get things right.
I was very disappointed to read your comments about breakfast, which receives so many positve reviews I can assure you that the food is fresh and is regularly replaced in line with all food safety regulations . In relation to the lifts these have all been replaced over the last 6 months we did have teething problems with one lift which has now been resolved .
I am really sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and would ask that if you are booked into the hotel on a future occasion that you contact me directly so that I can over see the details of your booking
Best Wishes