“Excellant all round service and facilities”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #615 of 1,068 Hotels in London
UK
“Excellant all round service and facilities”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

What a wonderful surprise. Great room, service and facilities. The service from the check-in girl, the barman and breakfast staff was fantastic, they could not try hard enough. Ok it is a 7-8 minute walk to nearest tube but given what you get for the price it really is not an issue.
Managed to get checked in at 11:30, ok no guarantee but nice to know possible.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Brian
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay . Thank you for the great comments
about the team which we will share .
We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion
Jane and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Stayed here whilst in London with work. The staff seemed nice and helpful however finding your room is like a maze and some signs seem to be missing!

My room was dirty and very dated, all of the furniture was damaged and I had a random door in my room ( I assume to another room!) Worst of all was that you could see the dust sitting on my curtains!

I ran a bath and then quickly changed my mind after I saw that there was hair in and around the bath. The door was in dire need of a make over and the heating seemed to be cranked up as soon as I got into bed. Far too hot and very noisy from all of the traffic.

Room Tip: Get a room without a door to another room in it!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Nat
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I am very sorry to read about the poor standard of cleanliness in your room , there is no excuse for this and I sincerely apologise. Please be assured that I will address your feedback with the
managers concerned.
I appreciate your feedback which is taken extremely seriously and will be acted upon
Jane
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

location was ok,quiet room ,clean and tidy,the television was pointless,but the swimming pool and jacuzzi was fantastic..so overall its still a nice stay...didnt have breakfast,but bein in central london,decent shops,cafes are a step away

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Kevin
Thank you for taking the time to write a revikew on the Thistle City Barbican
I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to make use of
the Leisure Club it is a really nice facilitiy to use after a tiring day .
Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Southam, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

It's a Thistle...it's a 3 star hotel...and it's not in the best area. How do you make the best of that? By employing the absolute best staff, and training them to go the extra mile.
From the call from the relationship manager two days before my stay to check if I had any special requests - followed up with a personal email - to the excellent reception staff, and finally the barman who made a point of learning my name when I first ordered and using it at every interaction afterwards.
Oh, and the hotel was clean and smart, my room decent sized and well enough equipped, and it was really good value for money. Free WiFi, Free Breakfast (on my deal) and free leisure. It also has a pool, which is unusual in London. 10 minutes to Barbican tube or a 30 minute walk to Bank. I will definitely stay again.

1 Thank Keith M
Dear keith
Thank you so much for taking the time to wrote a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future .
We really appreciate your comments about the team which I will share with them.
We look forward to your next visit .
machester
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My daughter (13 going on 21) and I had the pleasure of spending last Sat night at the Thistle City Barbican and I was really very pleasantly surprised. It was excellent value for money. Much cheaper than nearby Premier Inns and their like. Our twin room was spacious, clean and modern. The beds were extremely comfortable and despite the fact that there was a function on in one of the ballrooms below us we couldn't hear a peep (and I have sensitive hearing). The staff at check-i were friendly, efficient and I couldn't fault them. Free Wifi worked as expected and the breakfast buffet was both varied and plentiful. The fresh pastries were particularly good. I have tasted better coffee but overall the food was of a very high standard (especially given the price). Its situated nearer to Old Street tube station (on the Northern Line) despite the Barbican address and is an ideal spot for visiting the west end without west end prices/noise. We didn't use the pool or other facilities as we were on a flying visit but will definitely stay in this relly good value hotel next time we're back in London.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank niallumist
Dear Niallumist
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was very pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us and will return .
Thank you for your very positive comments and recommendation .
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion ,.
Kind regards
Grantham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Some really nice features, lobby and bar/dining area are really good, free wifi throughout (though you are in4G coverage area so you don't really need it)
Rooms a bit dated, could do with a bit of modernisation, the usual story of no plugs near the bed for mobile phone etc & it's hardly cheap for the standard of accommodation you get. Road noise was a problem & it doesnt normally bother me so it must have been bad.
Breakfast extortionate (aren't they always!) but superb cafe across the road will do a full English for under £5 so all good.

Dear Nigel
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican and for your
very positve comments about our food and beverage areas .
We were pleased to see you made use of the free WIFI which is through out the building.
we appreciate your feedback and are currently looking at options to address the lack of plugs by the bed .
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I was away with work for a couple of nights and this hotel had a good deal which appealed as the hotel has a pool. Unfortunately the pool was closed the first night I checked in which would have been helpful if the reception staff had advised me before I got changed!

The room was fine, clean and functional but then I discovered the toilet cistern was leaking all over the bathroom floor. I was moved within 5 minutes and the reception staff came to help so I couldn't fault them with being attentive and helpful.

The food was excellent. Fantastic selection at breakfast (the best I've ever seen I think). The service at the bar from Mosh(i) was exceptional. Brilliant customer service, he remembered everyone's names and was friendly, polite and cheerful. Very impressed indeed.

Overall a good stay and nice hotel - apart from football on in both bars on an evening. :-(

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms are nicer in the main building.
2 Thank jollyjane1
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Jane
Thank you so much for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us , even though we were not perfect.
Thank you for your great comments in regards to Moshe which we will pass on to him .
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion .