“Sad state of affairs”

Ranked #609 of 1,067 Hotels in London
England
“Sad state of affairs”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I paid around £75 per night for a single room. I expected . a lot better for the price. The communal areas are well kept but I was put in the building across the other side of the road and the room (2138) was terrible. The windows were drafty, the decor terrible and the decoration looked like a complete amateur had done it.
In fact I could have decorated better myself. Torn wallpaper, paint splattered, badly fitted paper. Taps and pipes tarnished.

No fan in the airless bathroom.
The corridor was a rabbit warren and I found it hard to find my room the first time.

The pool is a great selling point but it was really cloudy which I guess is a lack of cleanliness or excessive chemicals. Overall i feel that those put in the other building should be charged less. It seems to a hotel of two halves and I stayed in the other building before which was nice.

Breakfast was rediculously busy. A buffet affair with queues. The eggs and bacon were underdone. Runny white on the fried eggs, fat completely uncooked on the bacon, sausages cooked but anaemic.

Well replenished. Good choice.

I won't stay again which is a shame as I liked it last time.

• Stayed May 2014
b170utter, Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for writing a review of the thistle Barbican
I was sorry to read that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stay with us .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate and will act upon
best wishes
Jane and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I can only describe this hotel as terrible. To start with it's not at The Barbican it's a good 10 to 15 minute walk away. When I finally got there I had to wait 50 minutes to be served my food. I eventually had to ask a waiter why my food was being served 15 minutes after a couple that came in to the restaurant after me. I think he must have been Manuel from Fawlty Towers as he didn't understand English.
I then had to wait for 10 minutes for the lift.
In the morning I came down to breakfast and was greeted by a huge queue. I had to wait 20 minutes to be shown to a table.
Fair to say I will never be staying there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ringo
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you experienced such delay's in service.
On occasions at peak service times we may experience small delays with being seated for breakfast but we do try to manage this . I am disappointed that on this occasion we failed .
Thank you for your feedback which we appreciate and will act upon.
Jane and team .
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

As a business traveller this hotel falls well short of expectations. Do not stay here. The room is small. The windows do not open and are filthy and there is no air conditioning or fan in the windowless bathroom. Room service food was poor - tiger prawn linguine was luke warm with shrimps, cold undercooked carrots and none of the promised chilli. The advertised summer pudding with clotted cream was no better - the clotted cream was in fact a minuscule squirt from an aerosol can of synthetic cream. The walls were adorned with bare screws and the decor was grim. There was no bottled water or decaffeinated / herbal teas available in the room. The electric sockets looked a bit dodgy to me and do not have on/off switches. The loo roll holder was on the other side of the bathroom to the loo, thank goodness I am tall! Much better hotels are available in London for the same price or cheaper so avoid this place at all costs

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elaine L
Dear Elaine
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you did not have the facilities needed for a comfortable stay . Our standard accommodation is not air conditioned and certain items like mineral water and herbal tea are not standard in our rooms but can be supplied on request .
Thank you for your feedback which is appreciated and will be investigated
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Was dreading staying here again after an awful stay some years ago but it wasn't quite as bad! On arrival the very friendly staff offered me an upgrade to another hotel as they were overbooked. However as I was with a group for work this wasn't possible. They accepted this and checked me in immediately. The hotel is like a maze with corridors branching off and room direction signs are etched glass on dark walls which are very hard to see. Painting had been done on some hall walls but this wasn't finished yet although it could be clearly smelt. The room was light and clean with a nice bathroom. The bed was ok, although only two pillows available, one hard and one soft. Heating controls worked well and the bathroom was light and clean. There was lots of noise from outside as I overlooked the entrance. Drinks service was very slow and colleagues who ate I. The hotel said the food service was dire.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main building
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank OldMacd
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Liz
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel .
I was please you to read that you felt that the hotel had improved from your previous stay and I am glad to see that you thought the room was bright and clean.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here as part of a deal. The hotel is easiest to get to from Old St underground station. If you are going out in central London, cabs may be better transport than the tube as many changes are needed to get to the major hotspots. The rooms were clean and the bathroom nice.

If you have time the pool/saunas are good to relax in. A bit to warm to do serious swimming but nice fun. Be prepared to queue/wait for the lifts! There are only 2 lifts to service ~6 floors, each with ~70 odd rooms.

At breakfast I strongly advise going to the adjoining hotel building. The breakfast room there was empty when we went, compared to the main restaurant with a queue to be seated for the buffet breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrRoomda
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Jason
Thank you for writing a review of the hotel .
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us .
We appreciate your feed back
south wales
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Friendly reception staff and the hotel had a general pleasant atmosphere. Public areas were nicer than the bedrooms, as the bedrooms although spotlessly clean, were dated and in need of refurbishment. We had a premium room one night and standard one night and to be perfectly honest there really wasn't an enormous difference! We were on the fifth floor and it was very quiet. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice but other than that cannot comment on the restaurant meals as we did not dine there. Did not use the pool etc. so again cannot comment . Yes, drinks were expensive but, that's London prices for you! Overall a pleasant hotel and certainly fine for a short city break. Would we stay there again?The answer is yes if we got a reasonable rate.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rebsal
Dear Rebsal
Thank you for writing a lovely review of your stay .that y
I am very pleased that you felt your room was clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed
your breakfast
We look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion .
Lancashire
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The hotel is fairly near to public transport links, about 10 mins walk from the tube. It is in a residential area with shops, restaurants and pubs nearby. I thought that there may be issues with noise but on the fourth floor, all was quiet and I slept well. The room was quite spacious with plenty of storage areas, an iron and ironing board and extra towels, pillows and blankets. There is also free wifi at the hotel and a gym / swimming pool that is free to patrons.

However, I did encounter issues with the reception not recognising the rate that I had negotiated before booking; although this was sorted after management was called to confirm. So, if you have a negotiated rate, i would suggest that you keep written confirmation.

There isn't really enough lifts for the size of the hotel and so there can be quite a wait for these at peak times. Similarly with breakfast. On the day that i was there it was unnecessarily chaotic with empty tables but a queue to be seated where people where waiting at least 15 mins. The only benefit to waiting to be seated appeared to be to have someone come to your table to pour tea / coffee. And because they are so busy with also clearing tables, one cup is all that you are likely to receive. I would that thought that installing coffee / tea machines and allowing people to seat themselves would pay dividends in preventing disgruntled guets - there was plenty there on the day of my stay. Which was a shame becuase otherwise the hotel is lovely.

Room Tip: Choose higher floors for quieter rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank notdunroamin
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the City Barbican .
I was very pleased to read that you thought the hotel was lovely , but disappointed to read that
our organisation at breakfast was not as it should be .
We appreciate your feed back and hope to welcome you back on a future occasion .