“Great Hotel, Great Staff”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #600 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Great Staff”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The room was small but clean and perfect for our 2 night stay in London. The staff were all incredibly friendly as were the majority of other guests. The only bad point about this hotel would be the food quality. The breakfast is a buffet style meal and unfortunately I found the food to be cold and bland, however it wasn't bad enough to ruin our stay or cloud our impression of this hotel. If I'm ever in the Capital again Thistle City Barbican will defiantly be my first choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chanta0000
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Chanta
Thank you for your very positive review of the hotel
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us .
I have noted your comments in regards to the breakfast which we will act upon .
we appreciate your feedback .
Jane and team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I can’t recognize any of the very negative reviews for this hotel. The surrounding area is an upcoming part of London with many nice cafes and restaurants and shops. I never felt unsecure when walking in the area and I did a lot of walking as my meetings took part in city of London. Breakfast was fine. Only small annoyance was the rather long queue for seating in the morning. In regards to rooms - this is London! Rooms are small and crowded! My room was so small that when the bath door was opened, I was locked in one part of the room. But it was clean and fulfilled my need for a nice bed to sleep in and a bathroom to take a shower. I liked very much that the room was provided with an iron and ironing board.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Meyer_10
Dear Meyer_10
Thank you for the very positive review of the hotel and the surrounding area.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay .
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed one night in a double room for £117 booked through Amoma. When I checked in I was told it was a twin room & I could upgrade for a better room. Explained that I'd booked & already paid for a double room, which they did then agree to honour.
Room was clean & air con worked fine, although without it, it was quite warm in the room.
Breakfast was adequate although very busy with table crammed in.
Stayed in room 1249 - not much of a view but fairly quiet.
Bed was comfy & pillows fine.
Was a bit of a walk from nearest tube station - Old street & not much going on in surrounding area. Although there was a Co-op nearby.
Average all in all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Digsy247
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Digsy
Thank you for writing a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was pleased to read that you found your bed clean and comfortable and appreciate your comments in regards to breakfast .
England
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I paid around £75 per night for a single room. I expected . a lot better for the price. The communal areas are well kept but I was put in the building across the other side of the road and the room (2138) was terrible. The windows were drafty, the decor terrible and the decoration looked like a complete amateur had done it.
In fact I could have decorated better myself. Torn wallpaper, paint splattered, badly fitted paper. Taps and pipes tarnished.

No fan in the airless bathroom.
The corridor was a rabbit warren and I found it hard to find my room the first time.

The pool is a great selling point but it was really cloudy which I guess is a lack of cleanliness or excessive chemicals. Overall i feel that those put in the other building should be charged less. It seems to a hotel of two halves and I stayed in the other building before which was nice.

Breakfast was rediculously busy. A buffet affair with queues. The eggs and bacon were underdone. Runny white on the fried eggs, fat completely uncooked on the bacon, sausages cooked but anaemic.

Well replenished. Good choice.

I won't stay again which is a shame as I liked it last time.

• Stayed May 2014
b170utter, Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for writing a review of the thistle Barbican
I was sorry to read that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stay with us .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate and will act upon
best wishes
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I can only describe this hotel as terrible. To start with it's not at The Barbican it's a good 10 to 15 minute walk away. When I finally got there I had to wait 50 minutes to be served my food. I eventually had to ask a waiter why my food was being served 15 minutes after a couple that came in to the restaurant after me. I think he must have been Manuel from Fawlty Towers as he didn't understand English.
I then had to wait for 10 minutes for the lift.
In the morning I came down to breakfast and was greeted by a huge queue. I had to wait 20 minutes to be shown to a table.
Fair to say I will never be staying there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ringo
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you experienced such delay's in service.
On occasions at peak service times we may experience small delays with being seated for breakfast but we do try to manage this . I am disappointed that on this occasion we failed .
Thank you for your feedback which we appreciate and will act upon.
Jane and team .
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

As a business traveller this hotel falls well short of expectations. Do not stay here. The room is small. The windows do not open and are filthy and there is no air conditioning or fan in the windowless bathroom. Room service food was poor - tiger prawn linguine was luke warm with shrimps, cold undercooked carrots and none of the promised chilli. The advertised summer pudding with clotted cream was no better - the clotted cream was in fact a minuscule squirt from an aerosol can of synthetic cream. The walls were adorned with bare screws and the decor was grim. There was no bottled water or decaffeinated / herbal teas available in the room. The electric sockets looked a bit dodgy to me and do not have on/off switches. The loo roll holder was on the other side of the bathroom to the loo, thank goodness I am tall! Much better hotels are available in London for the same price or cheaper so avoid this place at all costs

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elaine L
Dear Elaine
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you did not have the facilities needed for a comfortable stay . Our standard accommodation is not air conditioned and certain items like mineral water and herbal tea are not standard in our rooms but can be supplied on request .
Thank you for your feedback which is appreciated and will be investigated
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Was dreading staying here again after an awful stay some years ago but it wasn't quite as bad! On arrival the very friendly staff offered me an upgrade to another hotel as they were overbooked. However as I was with a group for work this wasn't possible. They accepted this and checked me in immediately. The hotel is like a maze with corridors branching off and room direction signs are etched glass on dark walls which are very hard to see. Painting had been done on some hall walls but this wasn't finished yet although it could be clearly smelt. The room was light and clean with a nice bathroom. The bed was ok, although only two pillows available, one hard and one soft. Heating controls worked well and the bathroom was light and clean. There was lots of noise from outside as I overlooked the entrance. Drinks service was very slow and colleagues who ate I. The hotel said the food service was dire.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main building
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank OldMacd
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Liz
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel .
I was please you to read that you felt that the hotel had improved from your previous stay and I am glad to see that you thought the room was bright and clean.