“Tiny rooms”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #575 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Absolutely tiny room with broken windows. The elevator didn't work.there's no way this is a 4 star hotel. The lobby looks nice but the rest of the hotel is very old & outdated.I would never stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2014
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Misslyss22
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us .
Unfortunately on occasions we do experience lift break downs and we do try to attend to these problems immediately .We have two lifts in each building and if one breaks down this does put additional pressure on the other lift a peak times I am sorry for the inconvenience .
The hotel is a 3 star property however what ever star every thing should always work and we failed to deliver on this occasion and for this I do apologise.
We appreciate your feedback.
Kind regards
Jane and team

Write a ReviewReviews (3,241)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Was'nt sure what to expect as this was booked as a surprise stop over by my wife to celebrate my Birthday. So, having asked if there was parking and been told simply "yes", we arrived at this 463 room Hotel to find it has just 11 parking spaces, yes folks JUST 11!! Reception told us, you cant book a space, its first come first served, and if your lucky, you have to pay £25 per night for the luxury - and even then, you cannot move your car - if you do, you lose the space! We were referred to an NCP 10 minutes away, or offered free on-road parking after 13.30 hrs - and we were checking in at 11.30! So, we had to pay the £7.20 for 2 hours and then have the free parking - but already unimpressed! Check in was quick and easy, and we eventually found our badly sign posted room after touring much of the third floor. The room was small, but clean, although definately in need of a face lift as quite old and tired. Nothing much to complain about with the room although as usual, 3 sachets of coffee for two guests is nuts. Later that night, after returning to the hotel, we attempted to use the 120 bar. There were 2 couples having a drink, but no bar staff. Having waited 5 minutes, we gave up completely and retired early, again, unimpressed. So breakfast. We went for breakfast at 0900, half the restaurant was empty, but avery table was bizarrely covered in dirty crockery etc. We had to join a short queue, but were seated within a few minutes - but only just as the restaurant was very busy and full. Breakfast as the highlight of the stay - a very good breakfast - very impressed & very happy, although the toast machine, which people queued at only gave you warm bread. If you wanted to try and toast it properly, it had to go through the machine 3 times - much to the irritation of those queuing. When we left the restaurent, the queue for breakast was HUGE, with, and I counted, 42 people waiting to get it - they were queuing out into reception! All in all, an OK hotel, with NO tangible parking, and a potentially VERY frustrating breakfast experience.

Room Tip: Get up early for breakast, and dont expect to be able to park a car!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Andy
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was sorry to read that our car parking facilities had not been made clear to you and this was the first impression of the hotel.
I was pleased to read that check in was efficient and you found the room clean and comfortable and enjoyed our breakfast .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate
best wishes

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The room was small but clean and perfect for our 2 night stay in London. The staff were all incredibly friendly as were the majority of other guests. The only bad point about this hotel would be the food quality. The breakfast is a buffet style meal and unfortunately I found the food to be cold and bland, however it wasn't bad enough to ruin our stay or cloud our impression of this hotel. If I'm ever in the Capital again Thistle City Barbican will defiantly be my first choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chanta0000

Dear Chanta
Thank you for your very positive review of the hotel
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us .
I have noted your comments in regards to the breakfast which we will act upon .
we appreciate your feedback .

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I can’t recognize any of the very negative reviews for this hotel. The surrounding area is an upcoming part of London with many nice cafes and restaurants and shops. I never felt unsecure when walking in the area and I did a lot of walking as my meetings took part in city of London. Breakfast was fine. Only small annoyance was the rather long queue for seating in the morning. In regards to rooms - this is London! Rooms are small and crowded! My room was so small that when the bath door was opened, I was locked in one part of the room. But it was clean and fulfilled my need for a nice bed to sleep in and a bathroom to take a shower. I liked very much that the room was provided with an iron and ironing board.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Meyer_10

Dear Meyer_10
Thank you for the very positive review of the hotel and the surrounding area.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay .

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed one night in a double room for £117 booked through Amoma. When I checked in I was told it was a twin room & I could upgrade for a better room. Explained that I'd booked & already paid for a double room, which they did then agree to honour.
Room was clean & air con worked fine, although without it, it was quite warm in the room.
Breakfast was adequate although very busy with table crammed in.
Stayed in room 1249 - not much of a view but fairly quiet.
Bed was comfy & pillows fine.
Was a bit of a walk from nearest tube station - Old street & not much going on in surrounding area. Although there was a Co-op nearby.
Average all in all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Digsy247
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Digsy
Thank you for writing a review on the Thistle City Barbican
I was pleased to read that you found your bed clean and comfortable and appreciate your comments in regards to breakfast .

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I paid around £75 per night for a single room. I expected . a lot better for the price. The communal areas are well kept but I was put in the building across the other side of the road and the room (2138) was terrible. The windows were drafty, the decor terrible and the decoration looked like a complete amateur had done it.
In fact I could have decorated better myself. Torn wallpaper, paint splattered, badly fitted paper. Taps and pipes tarnished.

No fan in the airless bathroom.
The corridor was a rabbit warren and I found it hard to find my room the first time.

The pool is a great selling point but it was really cloudy which I guess is a lack of cleanliness or excessive chemicals. Overall i feel that those put in the other building should be charged less. It seems to a hotel of two halves and I stayed in the other building before which was nice.

Breakfast was rediculously busy. A buffet affair with queues. The eggs and bacon were underdone. Runny white on the fried eggs, fat completely uncooked on the bacon, sausages cooked but anaemic.

Well replenished. Good choice.

I won't stay again which is a shame as I liked it last time.

• Stayed: May 2014
b170utter, Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for writing a review of the thistle Barbican
I was sorry to read that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stay with us .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate and will act upon
best wishes

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I can only describe this hotel as terrible. To start with it's not at The Barbican it's a good 10 to 15 minute walk away. When I finally got there I had to wait 50 minutes to be served my food. I eventually had to ask a waiter why my food was being served 15 minutes after a couple that came in to the restaurant after me. I think he must have been Manuel from Fawlty Towers as he didn't understand English.
I then had to wait for 10 minutes for the lift.
In the morning I came down to breakfast and was greeted by a huge queue. I had to wait 20 minutes to be shown to a table.
Fair to say I will never be staying there again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Ringo
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle Barbican
I was very sorry to read that you experienced such delay's in service.
On occasions at peak service times we may experience small delays with being seated for breakfast but we do try to manage this . I am disappointed that on this occasion we failed .
Thank you for your feedback which we appreciate and will act upon.
Jane and team .