Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
London City Suites By Montcalm(London)
3,401 results
All reviewsold street tube stationsteam roomtheatre breaktea and coffeegood nights sleepfull englishwest endtaxisshoreditch
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Such a shame when the choice available at breakfast was good. Overall, our room in the annexe of the hotel was tired looking. The double glazing was so foggy and full of condensation that the net curtains were superfluous to requirements! The windows also did a poor job of keeping outside noise out. On the positive side, the beds were clean and comfortable. What really let the room down though was its en-suite. The toilet roll holder was so far away from the toilet that you struggled to reach the paper. The tiling need work to remove mould, as did the bath handle but worse still was the toilet which was stained round the u-bend. The bath panel needed replacing, well past its best. Staff were friendly enough but the whole place had an impersonal feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the part of the hotel containing the restaurant and reception.
1  Thank Jinnywren
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear jinnywren

Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican and we appreciate your
feedback which we will act upon .

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Lovely polite staff in all areas (bar one woman at breakfast)
No hot water in the morning (and no apology!)
Breakfast: good selection but poor quality, especially the hot section where the sauteed mushrooms were neither sauteed nor seasoned and both the coffee and tea we of poor quality and watery. I had severe gastrointestinal discomfort and a mandatory toilet trip.
The iron and ironing board were dirty and stained my shirt; plus the iron also would not hold the water so would not steam.
The taxi orgered from the concierge was slow in arriving so I waled to the nearby rank.

I've been onto the Thistle site to submit feedback but it appears they no longer want to receive it. I can't imagine why.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel

Dear Plebeian

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .

I was really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and I do apologise that nobody explained the hot water situation to you or apologised .

We do appreciate all feedback and do our utmost to address every individual comment and I will be checking our company website to see why we cannot received feedback .

Jane

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here for several nights for a work event. The room was a little on the small side but had everything you could need. The room was clean and staff very pleasant. The best thing about the hotel was the location. 5 min walk from Old Street tube station & 4 minutes walk from the amazing street food market on Whitecross street. Definitely worth a look if you're I the area on a week day. Probably the worst thing was it's size. As a big hotel it was easy to get lost down the small corridors.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear EHF Warwick

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and also had time to explore the area
where there are some really fun places to explore .

Thank you for your feedback and hope to see you back again in the future
Best wishes

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I can only comment on the bar as I visited here for a drink before an event. Seems a pretty standard hotel, nothing special. Drinks were over-priced for what they were (not that I was paying), but typical unnecessary hotel bar mark up

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear blue-sky 7070

Thank you for your review of our bar .

I am pleased you enjoyed your drink with us , even though you felt prices were slightly inflated .

Best wishes

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed June 14 for one night on business.

CHECK IN
Took approximately 25 minutes to check in. I had email confirmation but the staff couldn't find booking. This went on and on until suddenly all ok. No apology whatsoever for this delay.

ROOM
My room was a double on first floor in 'annexe' block.
It was boiling hot / airless / stifling. The room was very small. Window was filthy and barely openable and looked over dirty roof. No aircon in room, but a very noisy and very ineffective fan just in corner of room.
Very bad sleep as so hot.
Desk chipped and broken.
Bathroom had cracked tiles and very old furnishings.
Worst of all though NO HOT WATER for shower / bath. Called reception and totally disinterested, no help. So had to have cold shower. My colleague also had no hot water in their room.
The towels in room smelled horrendously (not a clean smell) and very unpleasant to use.

BREAKFAST
Not too bad cooked breakfast and restaurant area is nicely furnished. But fruit juice was warm and fresh fruit did not taste fresh.

LOCATION
The hotel is nowhere near the Barbican or the city, and at least 10 minutes walk from tube (not ideal with bags especially if warm / raining). The area around the hotel is not pleasant, and there are few amenities. Does not look good to walk round alone at night.
On leaving hotel asked concierge to call taxi, they tried (not very hard) but couldn't get one - then had to go out and walk about to find one which took a while as not near main road.

SUMMARY
By far the worst hotel room, service experience i have had for many years. Nothing redeeming about the stay. Thankfully stay just for business. If it had been leisure with my family i would not have stayed there at all.
I was glad to leave.

1  Thank ajn11

Dear AJHN 11

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Thistle City Barbican

I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and for this I do apologise.

Please be assure I will be addressing your comments in regards to the lack of care you received from reception with the team on duty .
Unfortunately we did experience an issue with our hot water in the whole building , however the reception team should have been fully briefed to inform guests and assist them , again I apologise for our failure.

Thank you for your feedback which we will act upon

Jane