“Tired and in need of redecoration”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #564 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Problem in using a debit card as a running tab on room- credit cards only. Pool very small and not as in photo - only 2 loungers and hardly any room by side of pool. Definitely not for relaxing nor a "spa" experience in my opinion. All treatments fully booked for months in advance - let far too many people in on day cheap passes. Tired looking hotel and won't be staying again

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank melwhicher
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for writing a review of the hotel ,
I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your time In the leisure club . The club has two
treatment room which are very popular and treatments are booked directly with the company that operates this facility , I am sorry that your travel agent did not organise this for you.
In regards to use of a debit card this cannot be used as a tab facility as you cannot take a pre-authorisation on the card only immediate charges , this is why we ask for credit cards .
Kind regards
Jane

Write a ReviewReviews (3,278)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Not sure how often star ratings are awarded, but the 4th star for this hotel seems to have dimmed a little. It is still a very good quality hotel - comfortable, well staffed and good facilities, breakfast was fine and the hotel is in a great location.

But my room was quite stuffy - no air conditioning. Also the bathroom was in need of renovating. The poor standard of finish - mostly down to wear and tear - gave it an unclean appearance, even though it was quite satisfactory. The paint work is in poor condition, the shower rail was broken, something had come unglued from the back of the door - a sealant had been applied where the bath meets the floor in a scruffy way - revealing missing floor tiles. Lots of little things - that would, in my view, challenge the 4th star rating.

However, the staff were especially friendly, professional and welcoming. the outward appearance of the hotel is impressive. It's just the detail that detracts a little - but not enough to put me off staying again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr Wilkinson
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle Barbican , we appreciate your constructive feedback
and I am pleased to read that you will return.
I have noted your comments in regards to your room , we are just about to embark on a project
to change some of the facilities in our standard room bathroom which I hope will improve the product and while we are doing this we will refresh the paint work .Although not a major refurbishment it will update them a little . If you require air conditioning our premium rooms in the main building would suit you.
Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Near City Road in Clerkenwell, not far from Jamie Oliver's 15 restaurant, but don't rush.
Hotel clean but seems a little dark and dated, lot of dark wood. Staff very helpful, rooms clean and comfortable and for London rooms on offer price were reasonable value. Bar prices ridiculous, breakfast as part of room price OK but I wouldn't pay nearly £17 for a breakfast buffet which was adequate but certainly not gourmet standard. Old St underground about 10 minutes walk so not too far away. Good London base if you get the right room price and I would certainly stay again compared to some of the so called hotels on offer in London.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JRWD

Dear JRWD
Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican

I am very pleased to read that we were a good city base and that you would use us again.
We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back on a future occcasion

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I spend two nights in a single standard room and sadly, I would not recommend this hotel for future guests. I booked the hotel via booking.com and I should have ben charged the money for the room upon arrival. However, the money was charged from my card 10 days earlier and I was told that it is not possible to cancel the reservation (even though it said so when I was completing the reservation). According to booking.com, the hotel confused my reservation somehow and charged the money earlier, which should not have been done.

The room itself was a bit basic (walls little bit dirty, washbasin and bathtub quite old), but overally OK. There were occasional problems with connecting to the Wifi though. The staff at the reception desk as well as waiters in the restaurants were nice and polite. Also the spa area is very nice.

However, after I had arrived home, I found out that additional 100 GBP was charged from my card. The staff from booking.com told me that 100 GBP were charged as "pre-authorisation" to guarantee for any extra charges and that it will be given back to me. The biggest problem was that nobody told me about this and I had to contact several people to find out why exactly the money was charged. These issues left quite an unpleasant memory.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lenka K

Dear Lenka

Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I am sorry that you had initial issues with your reservation , our promotional rates which are available on Booking.com are advance purchase and non refundable I am sorry that it was not clear when you booked .
In regards to the pre-authorisation that is taken on arrival at check in to allow you to sign charges to your account , this should have been explained to you clearly on check in , if not used the
authorisation is released .
I am sorry that the above issues spoilt your impression of the hotel .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is well located in the center of London not very far from the Barbican underground station and has some shops next to it. We had taken a triple room thinking we would have a big room as we had seen in the pictures on the hotel's website but we had a double room with an extra uncomfortable bed. The rooms are clean and small , they can maximum fit two. The breakfast was great and delicious with a wide variety of food as well as the plat du jour dinner. The staff at the reception are very friendly and can give you good information about London contrarily to the rude staff at the breakfast area. The overall was good and I would recommend this hotel for a short break in London.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for writing a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us but sorry that you found the room
for 3 a little small . Our breakfast selection is very good but I am disappointed that you felt the team were unfriendly .
Thank you for your feedback and overall recommendation

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Well located,closed to the Barbican Centre, the hotel has a very friendly and helpful staff. Amongst them I would like to mention Vanessa and another member who was working on 22nd june evening. We did not like the room we were given and soon we were changed to a better one.
Breakfast is quite ok. English breakfast, orange juice, fruits, cereales and so on.
The only problem is the size of the rooms perhaps somewhat small and a bit old
In summary we believe that it is a reasonable hotel

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Encarna 1
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican .
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will pass your comments on to the
reception team in regards to the service you received .
We appreciate your feedback .

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel was very clean, as was our room. The staff at the spa were really helpful and polite. The breakfast staff and check in staff were efficient but not overly polite at all - fairly frosty really. The spa was our reason for the stay - a last minute weekend away to forget work. The pool and spa were adequate, but got very busy, and if you want a treatment I would book ahead if you can - unfortunately they were fully booked when we enquired which was a shame as this was one of the reasons we booked (but like I said this was a last minute booking the night before).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bilboroly

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel .
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us . Our Leisure club has two treatment
rooms and they are very popular I am sorry you did not get to experience them .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate .