“HORRENDOUS”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #586 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is not just tired, you would need a general anaesthetic to feel at home. There was NO AIR CONDITIONING in mine or my friends rooms!!!!!! The only positive thing about my stay last night was leaving. I booked a room at just under £150 per night. When I arrived, the gentleman kindly offered with a smile and wink to upgrade me to a double bed no problem. The room (6th floor) was tired, I couldn't stand up in the shower. I had two large brown stains on my carpet. There were grubby marks in the shower. I fully intended on taking pictures to upload, however due to the worst nights sleep I've had in a long time in a room with no air conditioning in central London I didn't have the time or energy in the morning.
To make matters even worse (!!), in the morning when I went to check out I was charged over £180. The lovely gentleman that upgraded me had forgotten to tell me this was at a cost. The concierge misinformed us about places to eat / drink and the distances. The management team say that they "take feedback seriously". Really???? Where are the offers of compensation? I had NONE this morning when I complained in person, and I see NONE in the consistently negative very recent history here of reviews from dissatisfied customers. For a Thistle hotel, this is disgusting. If you actually do "take feedback seriously" please feel free to reply saying that you are actually going to DO something ....... ????

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank clarissa1979
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Clarissa
We appreciate all guest feedback and I am very pleased that my team have been able to
contact you and discuss your comments .

Jane

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Walking into the hotel it seemed promising - nice lobby, friendly staff, free wifi.

Walking to the room things got shabbier - lots of cosmetic damage to walls, doors, etc.

Room itself was tiny - 3 metres square including the bathroom. Very hot and no air con, just a window.

Hotel badly in need of a refurb, would have been ok at £30 a night, terrible at £150!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Lakes_guy_76

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very disappointed to read that you did not feel your bed room was value for money , but
very pleased to read your positive comments in regards to the team and service we offer and
of course the free WIFI
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Absolutely diabolical , the rooms are substandard overpriced too hot and dirty !! If u ask for help it doesn't come , if u ask to leave feedback u are told the wrong thing !! I expect because staff know its crap !! ( on the left side) the older side should be shut down your false adverts and false prises lead to a customer expectation that is to high ! I expect ur only getting bookings in the left side because u have not been honest !!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Disgraced01

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feed back and I am sorry that you felt mislead about our standard rooms ,
which are in our front building and are not air conditioned .
There is no excuse for the poor standard of the bath panel which has been affected by water ingress , as shown in the photographs and for this I do apologise .accept all guest feedback and our guest relations managers should always be available to talk to you or any member of the team should be ready to take feedback , I am disappointed we failed on this occasion . We would be happy to discuss further if you wish to contact us.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight in early July. Wasn't sure what to make of the location as it is slightly off the beaten track in terms of restaurants and general nightlife -but found it to be a friendly and welcoming environment . Check in was good as was the menu and service on the bar and restaurant Decent value for London at this time of year too. Quiet location aids a restful night. I'll certainly keep it on mind in future.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for writing a review of the hotel .
I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us .
Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you on a future
occasion

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed due to in the area for work conference in the area. Very old and dull decor. In general staff were friendly apart from the one receptionist who felt the need to blame me when I complained about a cleaner walking in my room at 8 a.m as I did not put the do not disturb sign on the door. My colleagues staying here also experienced the same incident. Never have I experienced a cleaner entering an occupied room until after midday.

1  Thank Jay098377

Dear Jay

Thank you for writing a review of the hotel .
I am very sorry that you were disturbed by housekeeping early in the morning and that our receptionist did not deal with your comments in a more sympathetic manner.
Our maids do start at 8am and they should be allocated rooms to clean where we know guests
have departed first and they then move on to others as the day progresses I am sorry that this did not happen and I will pass your feedback to the housekeeping team.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Old, tired and dated hotel with dull and gloomy surroundings and I would not want to spend any time in the room if I could avoid it. It was also significantly more expensive than other hotels I have stayed in when there and no justifiable reason for.

On a positive note, staff very friendly, air conditioning worked and reasonably central. I ate there once and it was ok, nothing to write home about. I would prefer not to return if I could avoid it!

Room Tip: Don't!
1  Thank Trish T

Dear Trisha
Thank you for your review of the hotel .
I was very pleased that you found the staff to be friendly , that your air conditioning work and you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant .
I am disappointed though that you did not like the location of the hotel and found the décor dull.

We appreciate your feedback

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was delighted to see a Concept 2 rowing machine in the otium gym as not everywhere has one. However it is in severe need of maintenance. These machines have a lever that changes the drag factor (broadly the rate at which the fan slows down after each stroke changing the effort requried to re-accelerate). A sign of a poorly maintained machine is that the DF is low. Most skilled rowers use DF 120 (with the lever at 5) - this useless machine would not go above 80 even with the lever at 10 - the equivalent of going for a run on ice. This happens because the machine has not been cleaned.

I mentioned this to the Otium staff and they could not have been less interested. I then went for a swim thinking a sit in the hot spa would be nice - Out of Order!!. Particularly miffed as I am paying a lot extra for choosing a hotel with leaisure facilities. Thistle / Otium I expect better at £130 per night - especially as the room is boxy and overheated

1  Thank mark88man
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Mark88man ,
Thank you for your review of the leisure club . I was very sorry to read your review , There is no
excuse for the poor standard of service you experienced from the team on duty or for key pieces of equipment not functioning and for this I do apologise . Please be assured that I have addressed the points you have raised with my team that manage the club . All of equipment in the gym is covered under a fully comprehensive maintenance contract so it should be regularly serviced .
We do appreciate your feedback which we will act upon .

Jane