“Ok for an overnight stay”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #592 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently had to stay in London for work purposes and had an overnight stay at the Thistle. The location is fine, being 5 - 10 minutes walk from the Tube station. The rooms were clean but basic.

The reception staff were friendly and accommodating.

Fine for a quick overnight stop. No major gripes but nothing stand out.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Helen M
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear AJWM41

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel .

I was pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay over all and thank you for your positive
comments in regards to our reception team and the service you received .

I am sorry that breakfast service was not as smooth as expected .

We appreciate your feedback .

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed one night on business. Location good and reception efficient and friendly. Found the room to be a bit tired looking. Bathroom in need of a make over; bed sheets were clearly freshly washed but there were signs of previous marks which hadn't been completely removed. Windows single glazed and so could hear conversations going on in the street loud and clear. Walls also very thin - if giggling girls next door hadn't shut up at 11pm I would have cheerfully brained them!

Breakfast was a bit chaotic. Was seated in an annex area as the restaurant was busy and had to ask twice for coffee which finally arrived when I was almost ready to depart.

Hotel was fine for price in central London but I wouldn't stay there for a treat.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AJWM41
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel
I was pleased to see that you had a comfortable stay with us.
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here overnight for business, during July heat wave!! No air on in room, we were offered an upgrade for an extra £20 each (and rooms were not cheap in the first place) decline this as the staff said we could have fans for free - so noisy I had to turn it off and leave window open. Room very cramped and dated, needed a good clean and a massive makeover. On the plus side.... I would give 5 stars for the breakfast, fantastic choice and really well cooked and presented. Staff also deserved 5 stars, so helpful, couldn't do enough to help, the concierge was fab. Really let down by shabby rooms.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarah C

Dear Sarah

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel .
I was really pleased to read your comments about our breakfast and our team which is really appreciated and will be shared with them.
we appreciate your feedback and constructive comments .

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Having read some of the reviews I was unsure what to expect ...and I was pleasantly surprised. I found the staff all most helpful and friendly both at reception and in the restaurant and my room was very large and clean - with air conditioning. admittedly furnishings are a little dated but it had a very comfortable bed and I had a good night sleep! I was disappointed to not have time to try the spa and pool facilities, but would definitely try to make time if I needed to stay in that area again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Alison

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel and its team .
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we will have the opportunity of
welcoming you back in the future
Thank you for your recommendation .

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is not just tired, you would need a general anaesthetic to feel at home. There was NO AIR CONDITIONING in mine or my friends rooms!!!!!! The only positive thing about my stay last night was leaving. I booked a room at just under £150 per night. When I arrived, the gentleman kindly offered with a smile and wink to upgrade me to a double bed no problem. The room (6th floor) was tired, I couldn't stand up in the shower. I had two large brown stains on my carpet. There were grubby marks in the shower. I fully intended on taking pictures to upload, however due to the worst nights sleep I've had in a long time in a room with no air conditioning in central London I didn't have the time or energy in the morning.
To make matters even worse (!!), in the morning when I went to check out I was charged over £180. The lovely gentleman that upgraded me had forgotten to tell me this was at a cost. The concierge misinformed us about places to eat / drink and the distances. The management team say that they "take feedback seriously". Really???? Where are the offers of compensation? I had NONE this morning when I complained in person, and I see NONE in the consistently negative very recent history here of reviews from dissatisfied customers. For a Thistle hotel, this is disgusting. If you actually do "take feedback seriously" please feel free to reply saying that you are actually going to DO something ....... ????

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank clarissa1979

Dear Clarissa
We appreciate all guest feedback and I am very pleased that my team have been able to
contact you and discuss your comments .

Jane

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Walking into the hotel it seemed promising - nice lobby, friendly staff, free wifi.

Walking to the room things got shabbier - lots of cosmetic damage to walls, doors, etc.

Room itself was tiny - 3 metres square including the bathroom. Very hot and no air con, just a window.

Hotel badly in need of a refurb, would have been ok at £30 a night, terrible at £150!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Lakes_guy_76

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Thistle City Barbican
I was very disappointed to read that you did not feel your bed room was value for money , but
very pleased to read your positive comments in regards to the team and service we offer and
of course the free WIFI
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Absolutely diabolical , the rooms are substandard overpriced too hot and dirty !! If u ask for help it doesn't come , if u ask to leave feedback u are told the wrong thing !! I expect because staff know its crap !! ( on the left side) the older side should be shut down your false adverts and false prises lead to a customer expectation that is to high ! I expect ur only getting bookings in the left side because u have not been honest !!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Disgraced01

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feed back and I am sorry that you felt mislead about our standard rooms ,
which are in our front building and are not air conditioned .
There is no excuse for the poor standard of the bath panel which has been affected by water ingress , as shown in the photographs and for this I do apologise .accept all guest feedback and our guest relations managers should always be available to talk to you or any member of the team should be ready to take feedback , I am disappointed we failed on this occasion . We would be happy to discuss further if you wish to contact us.