“Not a good introduction to London”

Thistle City Barbican
Ranked #594 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed here three nights as part of a large group. London was extremely hot and there was no A/C. Requested a fan and it didn't work. Had to request another fan. Hotel is very warm in hallways and common areas. Dinner served to our group the first night was dried out chicken breast, green beans, potatoes with no seasoning, salad and water. They packed the chairs in side-by-side and their wasn't enough room to sit much less eat. Breakfast was cheese, ham lunch meat, fruit, cereal, milk, yogurt,prunes, tea, coffee, and OJ - it was OK. I would not stay here by choice.

1  Thank UMTerpVirginia
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for writing a review of the hotel .
I am sorry that you felt that it was a poor introduction to London . During the last few weeks it has been exceptionally warm and unfortunately our standard accommodation is not air conditioned which does make the building seem a little warm . We do try our utmost to ventilates the building .
as part of the large Voyageurs educational tour that stays with us over the summer months the menu arrangements and dining options are chosen by them I am sorry that you did not enjoy your food .
Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate and will act upon

There are newer reviews for Thistle City Barbican

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently stayed at this property in the a/c rooms which were fine. However, my daughters were located in the other (older) building with no a/c a window that barely opened and smelly dirty rooms. Also, the breakfast in the older side is not as nice as on the "newer" side. If going to London there are other properties that one can pick even on a small budget. The location of the hotel was not in the greatest neighborhood.

This is not a family friendly hotel.

1  Thank Snicky2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review of the hotel where I was sorry to read that you did not feel the hotel was family friendly .
Our premium rooms which are air conditioned are located in the main building and we have standard accommodation in both buildings which is not air conditioned . All of our windows are restricted for health and safety reasons. I am sorry that you daughter did not like her room .
At peak periods we do open two breakfast rooms to assist with demand the breakfast we offer is the same quality in both venues I am disappointed that you did not think so.
We appreciate your feedback
best wishes

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and tidy (although a little dated). The shower didn't work in one room but we had two so this was not a problem but would be for others. The air conditioning made a big difference as it was a very hot weekend. The breakfast was well organised with a great selection of food - both hot and cold. My children thought they had gone to heaven. On the second day they opened up another area for breakfast as it was very busy and the staff we helpful and dealt with the volume of people very well

Room Tip: Make sure you get air conditioning as it is in London and very busy and warm. Bring problems to t...
1  Thank MJW527

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us .
I am very pleased that you and your family enjoyed your visit .

Thank you for your very positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on a
future occasion

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel as part of a flight/hotel package. My first experience was a 15 minute wait to be checked in which would have been longer if the woman in front of me had not given up and walked away. I was dealt with courteously by the reception staff who were doing their best to service customers quickly. My room on the sixth floor was clean and tidy but as basic as the budget deal I paid for, The overiding feature however was the sweltering temperature of the room which could not be modified by opening the window - this had a restrictor to about 75mm and a net curtain that got in the way of encouraging any airflow. I tried to take a shower to cool myself down before going out for the evening but the water pressure was so low that I practically had to force myself against the bath end wall to get any benefit. I searched around for an a/c control ( you'd think they'd have this in a Thistle hotel) to no avail.

From my short excursion out to look for somewhere to eat I discovered that the area immediately around this hotel is fairly devoid of city life/entertainment except for a couple of local pubs, and some small shops. Fortunately I discovered Fish Central, a great restaurant at very reasonable prices almost opposite.

When I returned from supper the room temperature had risen even further and despite sleeping nude on top of the sheets I spent a very uncomfortable night on an uncomfortable bed in a pool of sweat (it only occurred to me during the night that I might have been able to borrow a fan but by then I'd lost the strength to check this out being both heat exhausted and severely dehydrated) The only saving grace for this hotel was that the breakfast was excellent with a wide choice including a vegetarian option. I'm not sure if I'd ever want to stay at a Thistle again, the standard was far below what I expected and I could have done better staying at another hotel I usually use but this sounded like an upgrade on that.

On the whole I'd say probably avoid any rooms at the top of the hotel unless they come armed with a fan or a refrigerator you can crawl into.

Room Tip: Avoid upper floors in Summer
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Richard M

Dear Richard
e
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to note that you found your room clean and tidy , although a little basic but in line with the package you purchased .
Our standard accommodation is without air conditioning which we do clearly indicate in our marketing , although London has been exceptionally warm.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast selection which we are very proud of.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I'd stayed here once before and it was pretty average. The impressive entrance and public area soon gives way to old fashioned, tired rooms behind the scenes. However on my latest stay I was given a room in their secondary building across the street - and old fashioned decor was the least of my worries. The room was a tiny, dirty box barely big enough to squeeze the small single bed in to. It was a warm summer evening and walking in to the room was like walking in to some kind of industrial furnace. It was inhumanely hot - with no sign of any air conditioning and a window that opened about an inch. The worst part of all was that, directly beneath that window was an enormous load of machinery that, ironically, appeared to be a giant air con unit, presumably cooling other parts of the building, but certainly not the rooms. It made a deafening row, with a huge bang every 30 mins when it started up, ran for 20 mins or so, then cut out for about 10 minutes (just enough time to begin drifting off to sleep) before thundering back in to life again. It was like some kind of twisted form of torture. I got zero sleep, got up in the morning tired, stressed and hot, showered in the dirty, tiny shower then went down and paid nearly £200 for the whole experience. By a long, long way this is the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank L3749TPandrewb

Dear Andrew B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit .
I am very sorry to read that you had an uncomfortable nights sleep. Our single rooms are compact and do not have air conditioning which we clearly advertise , however there is no excuse for a room to be dirty as you mentioned in your review and for this I do apologise
I am disappointed that we were unable to assist you during your stay but thank you for your feedback
best wishes

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the thistle Barbican for two nights over the weekend. The reception is lovely and staff helpful. We had a twin room booked and were offered to upgrade to a room with air con but it came with a double bed so we declined. We entered the room, which was big enough and clean with a good bathroom which again was very clean, but bedroom and bathroom were like a sauna. Second night we asked for a fan, this helped a little with the heat, but feel that air con should be a standard feature and not a luxury for a London hotel, as getting ready in the room was very uncomfortable for both of us. I didn't bring a hairdryer with me as the website described a twin room having one, ours didn't, thank goodness for my organised friend having one!
The staff especially at the bar and breakfast were very accommodating and friendly, the breakfast is very good with a great selection of foods. It's a nice hotel in a good location, just needs more air con! I would recommend the hotel but only if you get a room with air con.

Stayed: July 2014
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for telling us about your recent stay .

i was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us . All rooms should have hairdryers which can normally be found in the dressing table drawer or wardrobe ,
Thank you for your comments about the team which I will share with them .

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The room was basic and in need of redecoration. The bed was comfortable. The most annoying thing was that all the taps ran scalding hot. Both taps in the basin and bath. Even the toilet cistern was warm! I had to run a bath and let it cool down overnight to wash.

Moving room would have been inconvenient given my timetable. I mentioned it to staff and got a discount and free breakfast. It was clearly a known problem.

Breakfast was great. Good selection of cold and hot food, including excellent brioche.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RachelCockett

Dear Rachel

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay .
I am sorry that you experienced problems with the water during your stay with us and understand you did not want to move rooms , so I am pleased my team were able to offer some solution .
I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfast .