“Old Hotel”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #592 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was in building two 3rd floor. Could not open window. Carpet smelled like a wet dog. Room was not ready and room mate did not came back to finish cleaning. Wifi is working well staff at the main desk berry friendly

1  Thank André L
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Andre
Thank you for your review of your recent stay
I am sorry that your room was not fully serviced on arrival and that the maid did not return
Please accept my sincere apologies for this lapse in standards
Kind regards

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

What a let down. Before I go any further I would like to make it clear that I would have given this hotel a terrible rating if it were not for the attitude of the staff. They tried their best to deal with the numerous problems as best they could but whilst it is clear that Thistle have invested money in the people they have not invested as much in the fabric of the building and facilities. "Jane and the team" deserve a medal for remaining positive in what must be a rather depressing merry go round of disappointed customers. The problems.... The hotel is at least a 20min walk from any stations ( and I am a fast walker). The rooms are in a awful state... Cigarette burns on furniture, peeling paintwork, torn wallpaper, stained carpets, depressing faded pictures , almost unbearably hot ( and it was not a warm day). The Lino floor tile in my bathroom lifted and cut my toe on the first night..reported it to reception but when I returned at the end of the day it was not fixed, as it was dangerous I chased it up and some lovely black masking tape was applied all across the bathroom floor but better than another accident! I also found a long black hair wrapped round the tap on the first night when I was cleaning my teeth which was a bit off putting to say the least! The food in the restaurant was tasty and good value but took 45mins to arrive ( they did warn me when I ordered). I ordered a bottle of coke which I thought tasted a bit strange and flat ... Discovered it had gone out of date at the end of June. All in all quite an eventful two nights stay! In summary it appears from the reviews that staying here is a bit of a gamble with some rooms better than others. With twice as many people rating terrible compared to excellent I would book somewhere with better odds!

2  Thank Simon P
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My partner & I stayed for 1 night to do some sightseeing in London. I looked at quite a few hotels online that were much more expensive and got poor reviews. Many of the negative reviews for this hotel seemed to relate to the rooms without air con so I booked a premium room & went for a king size. Our room was spacious and well equipped. We really appreciated having the air con. Staff were helpful & friendly. Location (a 5-10 min walk from Old St tube) was fine for our purposes. Breakfast was fairly busy, but we did not have to wait to be seated. There was a good hot & cold buffet. The bacon was overcooked & wilted from being under hot lights but generally everything else was good or acceptable. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a room with air con. You can pay a little (about £10) extra for a king premium if you...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth M
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for work. Rooms has no air con, which for a hotel like this is a bit backwards.

Breakfast was awful, got down there at 8 to find lots was sitting under heat lights and had dried out, to be honest I ate a small amount and didn't bother

Free wifi is a good bonus and the location is good being near a couple if tube stations.

Overall disappointing bit what I would expect from a London hotel catering for business users, will be advising company to look elsewhere

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank keefb2001
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Reviewer
thank you for writing a review of your recent stay .

I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with room , may I suggest that on a future
occasion a premium room is booked by your company which is air conditioned . Your description of breakfast is disappointing , as it is a very important meal and one we get a lot of positive reviews for .
It is good to hear that you appreciated the free WIFI and the hotels location .

Thank you for your feedback which we do appreciate

Best wishes

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The staff were very welcoming and check in was prompt. After arriving it was nice to be able to use the gym/pool and relax. The shower in the room was great although it looked tired. My evening meal was good and room service was prompt (although it took about 5 attempts to get hold of someone to order). I had a desk but both of the chairs in the room were too low to work from the desk comfortably. Didn't seem very well thought out. The room was also desperately lacking AC and was a bit too warm.

I had to wait a few minutes to be seated at breakfast the next day as there was just one person welcoming guests. The food was nice though and there was a good selection.

So, overall it wasn't a bad stay. The use of the pool and gym was nice but there are just a few basic things that would need to have been better for me to rate this higher.

3  Thank your_average_guy
b170utter, General Manager at Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us .
I was pleased to read that overall you had a comfortable stay with us and was able to use
all the facilities .

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel as my husband had to go to London on business, so in a way it was a freebie. The hotel was a bit out of it,plus it was a twenty minutes a walk from the nearest underground station.The checking in was speedy and although we were early we were allocated a room. The room was of a good size and clean if not a bit shabby around the edges. The two nights we stayed there it was very humid but no A/C, we opened a window, so that was sorted. Not many channels on theTV, other than that not that much was wrong with the hotel if you were only there for a short time. Would I stay there again not sure but it wouldn't be a problem if I had too. The area were the hotel is was very residential.

Room Tip: Not sure about a good room. But one tip if you walked to the main road the 55bus takes you straight...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ringtons

Dear Ringtons

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay .

I was pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your early arrival and that you had a comfortable stay with us .

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The room was basic and clean, breakfast was a buffet eat as much as you like for £16'
I was £150 for a room, i only stayed one night.
The staff were pleasant,
The hotel was central and i suppose the price off the room is standard for London prices.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeanette C

Dear Jeanette

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay .

I was very pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay with us .