“dont believe everything you read!!!”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #581 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 June 2009

stayed here for one night 13th june. after reading these reviews before i left i was so close to sacrificing the £76 paid to last minute.com for their secret hotel and booking somewhere else. i am so glad i didnt !!we arrived after a day in london and checked in at 4pm , we were offered an upgrade for £10 but refused but were then given a free one which we accepted. our room was on the 5th floor and was excellent air con ,flat screen nice shower etc. after reading reviews i looked for faults and found a couple but they were so small i wont even mention them. decided to have a swim and this was excellent nice pool and facilities and not to crowded,a relaxing swim and sauna after a long day was just the ticket.
didnt have breakfast but found a wetherspoon pub 5mins away they always give good value.
my only fault with the hotel was its location. it really was in the middle of a council estate and 20 mins from a tube station . saw no trouble and never felt threatened we walked back from the tube at midnight and felt at ease, although i can see why some people questioned the area.
all in all we enjoyed our stay and although i would probably not stay here again ,the only reason would be its location and distance from tube and centre.
i certainly would recommend this to anyone . maybe i got lucky but you can only say what and how you see things

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2009

The hotel was the least to say, terrible.
The hotel had chipped walls and was not so clean overall.
The streets outside where dark and the area is the worst to stay around.
It seemed that the area was so dreadful that a man alone would rather not walk on his own. Very scary , dangerous - like area. Would never even pass outside again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Dont be decived by the done up reception area! We were placed in room in the far corner of the hotel! Damp ceilings in the corridors, old fashioned stuffy rooms! The shower trickles so you have to spend at least 30 mins to get a good wash! Awful office stile tile ceilings! A friend had stained sheets! The best thing about the rooms were the flat screen TV's which were oddly placed in each old fashioned room! The walls are paper thin and the rooms get extremely hot!

The hotel is located in the middle of council estates and is really quite far out and its a 20 min taxi drive to Oxford street depending on traffice.

Staff werent overly polite or helpful throughout or stay. The day manager was the most helpful of all after I had to make noise complaints on two evenings after being woken up at 1:30am on both nights from really noisy screaming guests in the room next to me! And prank calls from school children staying in the hotel!

The Breakfast wasnt great either! A bottle of water will cost you £2 from the bar!

Me and my friend we had a complimentry upgrade to a "Deluxe" room, the difference between the rooms was that we has air-con, no longer the gross office ceiling in our bedroom, decor was brighter and we got a few more inches on the flat screen tv!

In regards to the Swimming pool spa area- its only open to guests at certain hours many days of the week were closed for swimming lessons!

All in all very overpriced for what it is, and the experience has definetly put me off staying in a thistle hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2009

do not stay here, i awoke in the morning to find a mouse sitting on my clothes, I had to be moved to another room to get changed. The manager only offered me a 30% discount on the bill, this hotel is a joke.

Reviewed 4 June 2009

I originally phoned to check if the hotel could supply soya milk for breakfast and they said they could. I reminded them again when I checked in. When it came to breakfast they didn't have it, I was sat there for 15 min with my dry cereal waiting. Eventually, some arrived. (I think they must have got it from a local shop). I told them I'd be having breakfast the next day and guess what happens! No soya milk the next morning. Another 15 min waiting and then some soya milk. I really don't understand how it can be forgotten twice, especially as I spoke to the manager the first time. It's really hard having dietary requirements and experiences like this just spoil things. They didn't seem to care when I complained and just fobbed me off.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Booked as secret hotel at aprox £70 per night
Dirty interior, set in the bronx!!!!

Rip off

Reviewed 21 May 2009

I was booked here by a government agency organizing a committee meeting. I have long given up on Thistle Hotels when I am booking for myself. This rather reminded me of the reasons why. Actually, it was better kept than some and had really nice front desk staff. However, I did not appreciate being given a room on a non-smoking floor that smelt of stale cigarette smoke - it obviously hadn't been properly aired and freshened since the perpetrator left. The room was otherwise clean, although the bathroom toiletries hadn't been replaced - which was a nuisance because I was travelling light without my own shampoo, shower gel, etc. and the towels were threadbare. The room was also rather over-heated with no control other than opening the window and letting in external noise. I also broke Rule No.1 of staying in any hotel, which is never to rely upon them for a wake-up call. Mine never came but a colleague got his ten minutes early! I knew I should have packed my own alarm. As usual in the UK, the internet was a tip off at £15 GBP for 24 hours on top of the room charge. Breakfast could best be described as mediocre and chaotic and the porter disappeared at exactly the point where five of us needed a taxi. Fortunately, I have seen how it's done. .. This wasn't a truly bad hotel, but it won't bring me back to the Thistle chain any time soon.