Stayed here recently for 5 nights on business. It's a 10 minute walk from Old Street tube which I didn't find too onerous. It was well located for what I needed, but what I needed was fairly specific. If you are here as a tourist, perhaps best to stay in a different part of London. First impression is that the neighbourhood could be a little sketchy, but actually there was no litter/broken glass and I had no issues returning on foot around 10PM on a couple of occasions.
On arrival, the receptionist offered a room upgrade which thankfully I accepted. When I got to the room, I didn't want to imagine what the standard rooms were like! It had been rather warm in London recently so I was glad of the A/C, however it only seemed to cool intermittently. There was an iron & trouser press in the room, however the ironing board was built into the trouser press unit. This was located right next to the door which made it awkward to use.
The room was tired at the corners and could do with a refresh. The fridge definitely needed to be replaced, it seemed to impart a flavour on anything kept in it for a day or so. There was no damage to the furniture, but for an 'executive' room it was a fair bit below what you would find in say a Holiday Inn.
The bathroom was clean but a little tired. Basic toiletries were supplied but the towels left a lot to be desired. They were harsh and a little small (and I'm not overweight!) and had obviously had a hard life.
The communal areas were in a lot better shape. The pool, sauna, steam room & whirlpool were all clean and in good condition. The bar area is small and a little formal, it could do with some more lounge-type couch seating. I didn't eat in the restaurant but did have breakfast there as it was included in my rate. Breakfast was typical buffet style, it could have been improved with more fresh fruit.
For around £110/night inc. breakfast in central London, I was satisfied if not overjoyed. I'm not sure I would choose it for my next stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Within walking distance from Old Street and Barbican tube stations the Thistle City Barbican provides easy access to the whole of London and its many attractions. We have convenient transport links for King's Cross & Liverpool Street National Rail as well as St Pancras International station for Eurostar.Ideally located on the edge of the City of London, with the financial district just minutes away, we are also in a prime location for business travellers. Our dedicated conference facilities with 13 flexible meeting rooms will cater for business meetings, corporate special events, private dining and banquets for up to 170 delegates.Inclusive with your hotel booking you can enjoy the Otium Health & Leisure Club to work out, for a refreshing swim or simply relax and de-stress in the Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam room. Whether you are here for business or leisure our Otium Health & Leisure Club has all you need to make your experience complete.Thistle City Barbican Hotel features 463 bedrooms including Standard, Deluxe and Family rooms as well as Suites. All of our guestrooms, meeting rooms and public areas are equipped with Free BT Openzone Wi-Fi internet access. For guests travelling to the Hotel by car there are 10 car parking spaces available which are allocated on a first come first serve basis. Alternatively there is a NCP carpark within walking distance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelsClick so you can book your Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thistle City Barbican London
- Thistle City Barbican Hotel London