“Excellent value for money if you are travelling with a tour company and have paid a good price”

Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
Ranked #590 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 August 2009

After reading some of the reviews on this hotel, I feel that I have to make a comment on the hotel. I must say that my two friends and myself felt a bit apprehensive after reading other peoples reviews. We stayed Sat 1st Aug and we could not fault the hotel apart from the tv, which we could not get to work, but I'm sure it would only take a call to reception to sort it out. As I have already stated we paid peanuts for this trip which was a one night stay in London. We stayed on the 2nd floor and our friend stayed in the annex. Both rooms were excellent with everything that you would require including tea, coffee, iron, hair dryer, tv, mini bar, extra pillows, toiletries and clean towels. Both rooms were very clean and furnished well. It was very peaceful, no traffic noise and although there was a stag and a hen party staying at the hotel that night we didn't here a thing all night. If you intend to use the tube, the Barbican is a fair walk (about 15-20 mins) but three ladies approaching 50 and not exactly fit managed it, no problem. It is on the circle line and allows for easy access everywhere. All public areas in hotel are clean, comfortable and attractive with a free daily newspaper to pick up from reception. It gets very busy at breakfast time, so best to avoid peak times or you will be joining quite a large queue. Breakfast good (self service) but wish they could keep their food warmer. The staff are very pleasant and attentive. I would have no problem staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2009

Reviewed 1 August 2009

Upgraded to a suite for £15 extra per night after seeing normal room. Suite very good and excellent value for money with the package we had. The rooms in the annex and top two floors of main building aren't very nice as reflected in some of the comments. The common areas such as the leisure facilities and reception and bar are very smart. Bus stop very close with number 4 straight to the centre. No problems with the area. walked to the tube with family with no concerns. Got bus back late at night. Service in the hotel very good. No probelm at breakfast time although ate after 9. Overall good experience but could have been disappointed with original room. Not 4 star. Restaurent/bar pricy.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2009

This hotel wasn't the best out of the hotels our group of over 500 musicians stayed at, but the rooms were very nice, yet small. We were cramped into a small room with 3 beds when it looks like it has enough room to fit one, but for a group of teens, it was more than sufficient.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Only just seen all the other reviews, I stayed with my husband in January to attend a party locally. Our room was tiny, barely any ventilation. The heating rattled and shook & could not be controlled. There was one usable plug socket stuffed away under a desk which was too far away to use and if you wanted to boil the kettle the Tv had to be unplugged first. The room badly needed decorating maybe turned back into the cupboard it once was!
The bathroom was as if it too had been adapted from a cupboard, a small cupboard, the sink overlapped the toilet and you could barely turn around in there.NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I think the other reviewers were staying in a different hotel to myself. I could not fault the City Barbican Hotel. The staff were courteous and helpful. It was very busy when we were there, but nothing was too much trouble, No queuing for dinner or breakfast. The food was excellent. The room was comfortable and cleaned each day. The water was very hot when we required a shower. The spa was clean and available. If I had to make any negative comment it would be that I would have liked a kettle in the room for making tea.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I can never be bothered spending the time to write reviews but I feel I have to warn other about this hotel. This was my first trip to London and I loved the place but would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

For a start there is absolutely no way this hotel is the 4* standard advertised on last minute.com. I spent a lot of time researching hotels and used the 'secret hotel' offer but would never make this mistake again.

Upon arrival (after a good 15 min walk from the tube station through a questionable area) we were asked at reception if we would like to upgrade out room for only £15 for the 3 nights, which we obviously took! Who knows what a normal room would have been like, there was only enough space in the room for a double bed! I even had problems squeezing past the end of the bed and the dressing table and I'm a size 6!

The shower was also terrible, switched it on and it went sideways instead of downwards! Couldn't even get the shampoo rinsed out of my hair! After complaining to reception about our 'upgraded' room they moved us to a bigger one without any hassle (2 single beds pushed together obviously), so think they were just chancing their luck because we were a young couple.

The spa area was also very unclean, and the floors from the ladies changing room even to the pool area was dirty, the both times we used it.

We spent a lot of money to stay at this hotel but wouldn't like anybody else to make the same mistake we did. I have stayed at much much nicer budget hotels than this one.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2009

The price was good so I took a chance on this place despite the reviews that suggested it was a gamble. They weren't wrong, most of what you read here is accurate. My favourite sight in the hotel was a kebab that someone had thrown into the (external) stair well. It had obviously been there some time but clearly none of the hotel staff cared enough to clean it up. That's the general impression of the place - nobody gives a monkeys.

Facts: Clean room, sufficient towels and toiletries, tea and coffee, comfortable enough beds. But stuffy & hot, thin walls, dated and generally uncared for.

I've stayed in better places for less in London, and won't return here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business