Thistle City Barbican, Shoreditch
US$258
US$191
Priceline
3,403 results
All reviewsold street tube stationsteam roomtheatre breaktea and coffeegood nights sleepfull englishwest endtaxisshoreditch
Reviewed 11 August 2009

_ stayed for two nights. put in awful single rooms costing nearly 200 per night. grotty, no air con (mid summer boliing hot!). lift broke so had to walk down stairs which would have been ok but they are also grotty. had waiter knock on door at 7 am for room serivce when hadnt ordered it and did not even apoligse for waking up. breakfast very basic. firend had a wake up call on both days she did not order and woke here up at 6 am both days. keys wuldnt work when we arrived abck late at night and had to get amintace up to sort it out. a big walk form tube.

after having travled around the world, i stayed in better hotels in the 3rd world! the main problem is you would put up with the hotel if it was cheap- however it is not and it was a big waste of money .

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Stayed one night as part of a package that included organised trips. Having read the rev iews on trip advisor we prepared for the worse but were pleasantly surprised. We arrived at lunchtime, but the room was ready. We were not offered an upgrade so decided to check the room first and ask for upgrade if necessary. The room was not 4 star quality, more budget style, but it was fairly large with huge but dated bathroom. Room and bathroom were clean, bed comfortable, tea and coffee and safe. As we did not upgrade we did not have a fridge or air conditioning, however, we were on the 6th floor so felt quite safe leaving the windows open and leaving on the fan that had been placed in the room. We found the staff very helpful and polite. Our only complaints would be the queue for breakfast. We needed to leave the hotel by 8.15am, so headed down for breakfast at 7.30am only to find the breakfast room already full and about 50 people in front of us waiting for a table. It took about 15 mins to be seated so had to rush our breakfast. A shame as it was good - hot food and fresh rolls. The only other problem with this hotel is the location. Beware the NCP car park near the htoel does not open at weekends and the hotel charge £20 per day to park. We parked at the NCP at Aldersgate Street which is next to Barbican Satation. Whether coming from the car park or the station you will have a 15 min. walk to the hotel partly through a residential area. This is a long walk with luggage although arriving back at the hotel near to midnight on Saturday, we did not feel threatened by the area at all.
Probably wouldn't stay here again because of the location.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Atrocious, firstly this hotel is in the middle of nowhere, you need a taxi just to get to the nearest tube station. Upon arrival they couldn't find my booking and took 30 mins to check me in blaming my companies booking agent, but then reported me to the booking agent for not showing up despite me having the misfortune to stay here for two nights! My room was tiny and scruffy, there were builders lamps lighting the corridor, the maid left my window wide open onto a low roof in the central area of the hotel so that anyone could have helped themselves to my belongings, I couldn't get an outside line and my wife couldn't ring in, my TV wouldn't work and despite ringing reception they wouldn't answer, and when I went down to the front desk I found the staff talking and ignoring the phone. To add further insult I had booked an early morning call which never came, resulting in me turning up late for the meeting I had travelled to London for in the first place. I wouldn't return if they paid me.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2009

stayed for 2 nights at the weekend check in took over 30 mins and nearly got shunted to another hotel as they didnt have room requested room was shockingly dated window jameed down and couldnt open,safe didnt operate,door hanging off iron cupboard,shower sprayed water all over the bathroom,bath handle hanging off,toilet flush barely flushed!! bar prices expensive even by london standards.
cost over £100 a night for room only avoid!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2009

After reading some of the reviews on this hotel, I feel that I have to make a comment on the hotel. I must say that my two friends and myself felt a bit apprehensive after reading other peoples reviews. We stayed Sat 1st Aug and we could not fault the hotel apart from the tv, which we could not get to work, but I'm sure it would only take a call to reception to sort it out. As I have already stated we paid peanuts for this trip which was a one night stay in London. We stayed on the 2nd floor and our friend stayed in the annex. Both rooms were excellent with everything that you would require including tea, coffee, iron, hair dryer, tv, mini bar, extra pillows, toiletries and clean towels. Both rooms were very clean and furnished well. It was very peaceful, no traffic noise and although there was a stag and a hen party staying at the hotel that night we didn't here a thing all night. If you intend to use the tube, the Barbican is a fair walk (about 15-20 mins) but three ladies approaching 50 and not exactly fit managed it, no problem. It is on the circle line and allows for easy access everywhere. All public areas in hotel are clean, comfortable and attractive with a free daily newspaper to pick up from reception. It gets very busy at breakfast time, so best to avoid peak times or you will be joining quite a large queue. Breakfast good (self service) but wish they could keep their food warmer. The staff are very pleasant and attentive. I would have no problem staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2009